Ebay hacked!

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but there's another good reason to never use the same password on different websites.

It's all about damage limitation, and for circumstances beyond any user's own control.

If anyone hacked my ebay password and user name, it would only have given them access to my ebay account, nothing else, not even Paypal. 

Passwords are only part of the worry, is your email address the same for both sites, are your security questions the same for both sites, can you remember all these passwords or are they written down and kept near the computer.

The only way to be safe is give your money away and have nothing left to steal, oh! I already do that it's called tax.

• Like 3

It's all very well everyone saying don't use the same password, but how many of us can actually retain twenty different passwords in our memory? I do use an app called SecureSafe to record them, but the only other way it to write them down which is also a no-no. How do you get over that?

It's all very well everyone saying don't use the same password, but how many of us can actually retain twenty different passwords in our memory? I do use an app called SecureSafe to record them, but the only other way it to write them down which is also a no-no. How do you get over that?

I use a secure program to store my passwords too, and can only remember from memory the key ones used frequently.

Every time you buy something online or join another forum, it's yet another ID and password to devise, so I have literally dozens, if not hundreds.

The password protected program for storing passwords runs on my PCs, and my Android tablet and smartphone, with a common database periodically copied to each device.

As for the frequently used passwords, I have a lousy memory (I'd blame it on age, but then it's been rubbish since I was about 20 :) ).

I therefore use a simple to remember system of concatenation, using common words and memorable numbers that vary with the particular site.

For example, (and not one that I use !),  the word part might be "elefant" (spelt incorrectly on purpose, with a number tacked on the end, like an old car reg, my age, or phone number.  The combination of the easily remembered word and the easily remembered number makes quite a strong password.

I don't normally get involved in IT talk. But I work in the IT world (I'd rather be a boatbuilder!) but I'm hearing several reports of peoples emails are being accessed. So best advise is to change all passwords if you are using the same or similar passwords (I.e you are changing a number). Paypal is probably the important one to change to as its likely you have the same password for this and obviously you can transfer money around.  Its a bit shocking that ebay systems aren't up to scratch and I suspect they will get a slap on the wrist. Hopefully...

with passwords, I was watching QI with good old Stephen Fry.

It was quite interesting what he said about passwords.

Can't remember the exact words but it was something like.......

Make passwords as hard as possible, using upper case lower case numbers etc, don't use words. Write them down in a book so you don't have to remember them and put them somewhere safe.

If a burglar gets into your house he will be coming for the TV, lap top etc. things that he can sell on. Not many cyber attackers will break into your house.

PS, If you do this please remember where you put the little book, as it took me two days to find mine after changing my passwords to the likes of 1Hkqp7JwM59........and they are not easy to remember...... :cry:

:Stinky

• Like 2

If a burglar gets into your house he will be coming for the TV, lap top etc. things that he can sell on. Not many cyber attackers will break into your house.

That's a very interesting bit of lateral thinking there! Just don't keep it in the drawer of your computer desk! :)

I think I retain around twenty to thirty passwords and have to remember them all the trouble is that my head is getting like a colander so I may have to adopt the book in a safe place.

Now where is that safe place? Oh its in the shoebox marked up with "safe place". :naughty: 

Regards
Alan

• Like 1

I keep mine in a book in a safe place.    As hubby once said,  I cannot understand your coding system as to what the password is so lord help anyone else trying to decipher it.        I thought if i wrote them all down in gobbledegook then it would be safer, yes a lot safer, we cannot even work them out.

• Like 1

Hi all , don't you just hate it when this happens , ive only just changed all my passwords because of this bleedheartbthat was going around, i do have to write my pwords down , but ive got one of those little magnetic address books & keep it hidden .lori

• Like 1