Pilot Mooring, Wroxham

Gracie

Noticed on the web cam last night that a hire boat had stayed over night on the Pilot mooring, is this allowed at times when the pilot has gone home at the end of the day and out of season?

Wouldn't have thought a problem as long as you are under way before the pilot clocks on, just wondered if it was against any laws or rules etc.

Grace

I cannot answer that question specifically, but I can tell you, from experience, that in 2010, when we had hired Amber Gem 3, we couldn't find a mooring in Wroxham in order to visit the BVR, so we phoned for the Pilot - he told us the bridge was closed, and that if we so disired, we could moor at the Pilot pick up point for the day - which we did.

So perhaps the answer is yes, but only with prior permission?

• Like 1

Thank you for that Stuart, handy if like yourself you couldn't find a mooring, not one I would choose to stay on if I'm honest, like to keep away from bridges and roads when we moor up, but good to know if there are no other options

Grace

Yes, indeed Grace - similar to the yacht station at Norwich or GY, the proximity to a major town/city centre would give me reservations if overnighting!

Got us out of a pickle, as I almost got us stuck down one of the dykes at Wroxham trying to find space in Royalls!

I have only once had a problem at Norwich. The first time we moored there in 1985 we were told to put the mud weight down, which we did. During the middle of the night there was a lot of loud shouting, and we looked out of the window to see a boat floating passed. They were shouting to try and wake them up. I got dressed and out just in time to see this sleepy head look out of the window in disbelief. They through out the ropes and were tied up again. It turned out that some lads had been reported as running through and undoing lots of ropes. Ours too were undone, but we did not move as the mud weight was down. I always put the mud weight down now where ever I moor.