Cricket

CooWee

"DB played for the smallest county in Scotland, Clackmannanshire, funny enough, I think I only played one friendly against them, as in my day there were three main leagues. Western Union, I played in, East League and the Counties. He was a very good county player, and I think played for both England and Scotland. Me, I support Lancashire CCC, my late uncle was a member, so I came down for some Test Matches there. Also, Jackie Bond, Peter Lever and Jack Simmons use to come to our captains dinner in September, as top table guest speekers. Ah happy days....hic! "

Hi Iain,

I thought I would move this away from Dan's thread

I remember those three guys, but if you'd have asked about me Peter Lever I'd have put money on him being a left arm quick who played for Essex, but no, I checked Wikipedia.  I am obviously getting mixed up with someone else. 

The weather gods have smiled on Lancashire a couple of times this season, once against Warwickshire and now Somerset, that said I hope Lancashire do not get relegated.  I went to watch them last season at Southport against Hampshire.  Lancashire have bragging rights in the T20 Bash though.

Keith cheersbar

• Like 1

Yes Keith I thought I had put the cricket in the Lounge duh. The Peter Lever of Lancs was the fast bowler who in many ways instigated the Safety Helmet, as he nearly knocked the block off a Kiwi if memory serves me correctly.Bond was Captain of Lancs and Simmons played till goodness knows how long. Oh I never played at Southport, but did grace the squares of Stanley Park, Lytham St annes, Preston westcliffe, and Lancaster.

It took me a month to recover from such tours, sleep being in very short supply lol.

I find watching the new Old Trafford somewhat strange, with the turnaround of the wicket.

What does get me annoyed is, there are far too many tests played in London. It should be one or the other not Lords and the Oval.

Fingers crossed for a Red Rose victory tomorrow night in the T20 Bash.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

VC I have nowt against tother Rose, just always supported Lancs. Goughie deffo quick especially reverse swing. Only saw him playing in one dayers. Michael Holding and Wes Hall, also Devon Malcolm on a good day were probablly as fast as I saw. Personally, at close quarters a Barbadian called George Rock was pretty swift.

Bob Massie was fun to face with his induckers too.

cheers Iain.

Thanks VC, absolutely correct, just shows how your memories can get mixed up as you get older; JKL was an awkward customer for righthanded batsmen.

In 1963 I watched the test between England v. West Indies and the WI attack consisted of Charlie Griffiths and Wes Hall and a smashing half century from Lord Ted, we could do with someone like him now.  England bowled WI out for ninety odd in the second innings and won that particular test.  Wes Hall I remember had an infectious laugh as did a couple of other West Indian lads I met later in the RAF.

Peter Lever was a decent chap and was quite upset apparently when he felled that Kiwi, David Lloyd of Warwickshire was felled by a ball from Malcolm Marshall and nearly killed, it certainly did for his cricketing career.

"What does get me annoyed is, there are far too many tests played in London. It should be one or the other not Lords and the Oval."

I agree Iain, but in this country it is very Londoncentric!  I remember Lord Coe saying, when London got the Olympics, "we must all get behind this."  Utter silence when it was Manchester and Birmingham having a go.  I am told that the dome was originally intended for Birmingham and indeed the infrastructure was in place for it to be built, but a certain Mr Blair decided otherwise.

You must have played cricket to a high standard.

Keith cheers

• Like 1

Yes Keith I did play to a high standard in the 60's and 70s. I also when very young, bowled to Mike Denness in the nets before he went to Kent. But it was the time when good young professionals came to Scotland to cut their teeth so to speek when I played. The Aussies were encouraged to come here by Tony Locke when he coached in Oz, advertising in "The Cricketer". Not name dropping, but, lol, I played with Ashley Mallet, against,Rohan Kanhai, Bob Massie, Kim Hughes, Intikab Alam, that little menace Sadiq Mohamed, I toured with Kilmarnock although I played for Ayr. Killie at that time had several Scottish Internationalists, Bob Ellis, Bobby Hill and Jim Thompson. They even had a Minister play for Scotland lol the Rev James Aitchieson. The one pro/amateur that I loved playing with was Jimmy Allan, you could put a handkerchief down on the area he dropped the ball on, I did not mind fielding close when he bowled.

I could bore you all for hours about cricket, its a game of chess at test level to me.

My father had a bat and ball in my hands from a very early age as he too had played and kept wickets for Ayr. Just a pity at times the UK weather was not a bit kinder to play it.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I felt this would be fine for the purpose. Wanted new England Cricket Captain with knowlege in how to play the game to win. Must be able to bat and make simple decisions like selection of a proper spin bowler! Apply to the ECB somewhere in a cricket club dressing room. :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Bring back Dermot Reeve, but the English Cricket Establishment hate maverick thinkers.  Mark ?????? once said of him, "he never lets a game sit." A common failing I think with English captains.  Our Dermot once opened the bowling for Warwickshire against Kent and got three wickets.

I don't remember Steve Waugh having serious problems with his form, I think as a general rule of thumb that Australian captains are more stronger minded than their English counterparts.

Hope you are in reasonable nick Iain.

Keith cheers

• Like 1

Could not agree more Keith with your remarks. Were you meaning Mark Nicholas who played for Hampshire? I just cannot get my head round why England cannot knock over nine, ten, jack. Oh for a Devon Malcom or similar.

Thank you for health interest, have had a bad attack of arthritis and lumbago. So am on n off laptop when feeling up to it.

cheers  Iain.

I was indeed meaning Mark Nicholas, so thanks for that.  Yes that Indian number 11 only had an average of 3.3 runs before this match.

My health issues are viral heart failure and an artificial ankle, being the main ones.

Someone not far from me was watching channel 5 and with a puzzled expression said "tuck him up".  At least she hasn't asked "what's a pull stroke." yet! :shocked

Have a nice weekend, I'm about to be sent off the lappy so her ladyship can do the quiz.

Keith cheers

So basically Keith your fighting fit, till it comes to handing over a Lappy to her ladyship. Aye there are some very strange expressions in cricket, some not printable on here! :naughty:  :naughty:

Most of mine were at the slips if they dropped one!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well how things have improved Keith since our exchanges on this thread eh?  :naughty: A captain who has found a bit of form, and a team that can win a game again...TWICE... see VC it takes a Old Trafford quick wicket to even things up. The heat got to the Indians at Southampton :naughty:

However my main reason for raising this thread again is head protection, since Ponting had his face cut by his visor, there have been a few more incidents of damage done, namely Broad's clout at the weekend.  This got me thinking, would he or anyone else for that matter, would have gone for that type of hook shot if there were no helmets. Having seen the pic of his fizog, he got off lightly IMHO. Just a thought.

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

A thought maybe about these helmets, if the ball gets through the grid on the helmet then I would have thought it wasn't suitable for purpose.  I think the helmets are necessary because when David Lloyd of Warwickshire was hit by a ball from Malcolm Marshall he lost his sight in one eye, nearly lost his life and as far as I know never played professional cricket again.  For that reason alone I think helmets are necessary.

A problem is when batsmen take their eyes off the ball and it suddenly veers/swings into them, but that sort of comment is best coming from Iain, who played a much higher standard of cricket than I.

American football helmets sometimes, as well as the grid or face mask, wear a sort of transparent shield with the grid to stop getting poked in the eye, perhaps similar thing could be adapted for cricket helmets.

Finally, I think it does occur that people take risks at times because they have a false sense of security with safety equipment, for instance you could still fall in the water with a life jacket and if no one is about and you can't get out you could die from hypothermia, so you still need to be careful.

Here endeth the sermon. :rolleyes:

Thank you Rev Keith :bow  :naughty: , and Dave also with regard to LJs. In my days of playing, a box, poorly padded gloves and the odd towel slung over the jock strap and down the leg, were our total means of thigh protection, plus our pads of course. Now some go out better protected, or so they think, than say a jousting knightsman :naughty:

In all cases these modern aids are possibly better than what was there before. But, never think its the ultimate, be it life jackets or sports equipment. 

Yours, the most Reverend minister  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Re> Brian Close, I had the pleasure or meeting him, not at a cricket ground but on the first tee at Carnoustie Golf Course. He was doing his starter thing for Renault UK in a competition my partner and I qualified for the final. 

He was filling in for Ted Dexter who was not well at the time. Brian was a lovely bloke to meet. I did see him play at Scarboro' once, and as Dave said he did field VERY close in, his foot just off the playing pitch. Ah those were the days of REAL down to earth cricketers, who played the game hard, and the drinking even harder after the match. :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith, your comments from the other thread...

Anyroadup, totally off subject, do you remember the penultimate Indian wicket in their second innings of the last Test, where according to the commentator none of the English players realised the batsman was just short of making his ground.  I always understood that if you don't appeal you don't get, unless your stumps are spreadeagled and it is blindly obvious, but with snicks, LBWs and concerns with the ball carrying you have to appeal.  Hope all that makes sense.

Its the only rules I have ever known also, but these days with all the cameras, even though INDIA won't or don't like modern technology, he IMHO wasn't out...NO APPEAL. Have to say there were times when yours truely was about out of puff attempting an appeal, after I hit the pads or whatever. But the decission you ask about, I am with you. One last comment though, both those umpires are pretty new to the Test arena, and are a wee bit finger trigger happy still.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

Rather than start another thread on ball on willow, I felt it was only right n proper that I congratulate your Birmingham Bears, sorry Warwickshire to me, on winning the T20 Blast tonight. A great final that went to the last delivery, just a pity it wasn't Freddy Flintoff facing the last ball, to try and win the game. lol

cheers Iain.