Have your say. Do we need a new law so we can vote on who is in charge of Norfolk and Suffolk’s Broads?

ranworthbreeze

Have your say. Do we need a new law so we can vote on who is in charge of Norfolk and Suffolk’s Broads?

Norfolk and Suffolk people will be able to decide who is in charge of the management of The Broads, under plans unveiled in the Queen’s Speech.

Read more at: http://www.angliaafloat.co.uk/news/have_your_say_do_we_need_a_new_law_so_we_can_vote_on_who_is_in_charge_of_norfolk_and_suffolk_s_broads_1_3629673

Copyright © Archant

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELY SO.

I`ve been saying this for a long time now, and have had a lot of adverse comments about it. I think if the BA had to be publicly accountable via democratic elections, we might start to see things done for the benefit of those that earn their livelihoods from the broads, as well as those that fund the BA via tolls etc. This is (in my opinion) long overdue, and should be under discussion by the Governmental department responsible for them aws we speak.

• Like 1

Without doubt.

Virtually ALL other local authorities have elected members but the BA has so much power and is largely unaccountable. It does things that a great many people feel are wrong.

Those who are affected by the BA's decisions have no real say.

YES, we need to have elected members.

But, also consider this. Elections cost money and attract politicians. Any local will recall that many of the current councillors were voted in on a promise to scrap the Kings Lynn Incinerator and then promptly voted for it after they were electected.  So, will we simply get a bunch of liars and arses in charge that we've chosen?

• Like 2

....we might start to see things done for the benefit of those that earn their livelihoods from the broads, as well as those that fund the BA via tolls etc...

Yes, no argument with the serious need for some publicly elected representation on the BA management, as has long been campaigned for by toll payers (mostly).

Their responsibility is far wider than just broads based businesses and boat users though.

As a pseudo National Park, they have a very wide range of responsibilities, of equal importance. I would be very worried if the hire craft companies had too much influence, or even the toll payers.

I've been a toll payer here for many decades now, but I'm also lucky enough to live within the convoluted National Park boundary, so planning permission and such has more impact on me than just using my boat here.

Now that we've finally got this far, with the Queen announcing it as a proposed bill, it may be delayed by wrangling over the grounds of who should be allowed to vote. :roll:

This all well and good in theory but the amount of people that actually voted for their Police Crime Commissioner would suggest that it does not always work.

This is a subject that people care about with strong views, I dont think many in this region have to much interest in electing a police commissioner.

I am on of those who has never bothered to vote in any form of election, as in my view (and its my view not necessarily other peoples so please people dont start getting on my case!) the options to vote for doesnt make any difference.  But for this I think it would make a difference and im not saying that the BA should be outed  but they need some sort of opposition to keep them in check otherwise they have something close to a dictatorship, I would expect though with the years of bad feeling that people have towards the BA that they would not get the majority vote, even after large amount of corruption!

• Like 1

........but they need some sort of opposition to keep them in check otherwise they have something close to a dictatorship....

Quite right Mark, the BA decision makers do indeed need to include non-permanent management employees.

Without "getting on your case" though, people should vote really.

I quite agree with you that each party is as despicable as the next (rather an apt quote from Porridge). :)

You can always use your vote tactically though, to make things more difficult for any party you dislike more than the others.

I have to admit that I've voted tactically for many years now, and it is satisfying in a small way....

Agree entirely with the principle of elected representatives to the BA.  However, needs careful consideration about who will be enfranchised to vote (and who will not).  Will it simply be people resident within the area of the quasi 'national park' for example?  Will it be toll payers?  How can it be ensured that all of those with a claim to interest in the Broads have access to representation?  Will it become 'party political'?  Will we have 'first past the post' elections or some form or proportional representation?  The devil is always in the detail.

• Like 1

Agree entirely with the principle of elected representatives to the BA.  However, needs careful consideration about who will be enfranchised to vote (and who will not).  Will it simply be people resident within the area of the quasi 'national park' for example?  Will it be toll payers?  How can it be ensured that all of those with a claim to interest in the Broads have access to representation?  Will it become 'party political'?  Will we have 'first past the post' elections or some form or proportional representation?  The devil is always in the detail.

I would say all whom have a boat registered on the broads and all those who reside within 25 mile radius should be eligible to register for a voting card, or a online individual key code number to vote electronically. 

What about fisherman, bird watchers, walkers, business owners who reside more than 25 miles away.............

business owners could qualify though the business address. as for fishermen ect who live further away tough, I might like to walk around the lake district but I would not expect to have a say on its running, a line must always be drawn somewhere and at that point a minority may feel aggrieved but this is life and as I say a line would need to be drawn. 

• Like 1

I would say all whom have a boat registered on the broads and all those who reside within 25 mile radius should be eligible to register for a voting card, or a online individual key code number to vote electronically. 

25 mile radius of where exactly?  Some central point, maybe Acle?  Or 25 miles from each and any extremity such as Coltishall, Geldeston. Norwich etc?  That's a hell of a big area, would stretch from somewhere like Wells next the Sea, down through Swaffham to Thetford, on via Stowmarket to Aldeburgh in Suffolk.  An awful lot of people in that size area have little or no interest in the Broads, may never have visited the Broads.

...... it may be delayed by wrangling over the grounds of who should be allowed to vote. :roll:

There you go, if we have such diverse views just on the NBN over who should be eligible to vote, what chance of any compromise nationally ?

When the environmentalists and wildlife enthusiasts chip in with their point of view as well, ( which is equally as valid as the boating users opnions), it may become even more of an impasse.

A negative aspect of democracy is that very few voters are prepared to see the wider perspective, and accept some things that are not in their personal interest.

As with national politics, the loudest and most numerous voices win, but is that truly democratic ?

In my younger years I had a number of T shirts with various anarchist type slogans on them.  For some reason I'm reminded of some the slogans now, things such as;

"Whoever you vote for, the government always wins"

"Don't vote, it only encourages them"

"xxxxxxxx - your life's ration of democracy"

I'm not really that cynical, but I do think there are an awful lot of complex issues in setting up an elected body to manage the Broads that can be truly representative of the broad (pun intended) range of legitimately interested parties.

• Like 1

25 mile radius of where exactly?  Some central point, maybe Acle?  Or 25 miles from each and any extremity such as Coltishall, Geldeston. Norwich etc?  That's a hell of a big area, would stretch from somewhere like Wells next the Sea, down through Swaffham to Thetford, on via Stowmarket to Aldeburgh in Suffolk.  An awful lot of people in that size area have little or no interest in the Broads, may never have visited the Broads.

from any point of the broads, and yes many have no interest, that is why I said those eligible to vote could then register to have a vote, that way only those with the intention of using it would register, and you dont waste thousands of pounds sending a polling card to every address.  With enough time to promote though forums, local radio, social media the word would reach most that they are eligible and inform them how to register.

• Like 1

5% of a very large area is still a heck of a lot of people and quite possibly enough to obtain the general view of the populous, just like I do not vote in politics and therefore I do not moan about those who run the country as I do not have a say, this would be no different, if you do not register and use your vote then put up and shut up with regard to the controlling authority, or perhaps managing authority would be a better term of phrase.    

I reckon it would be less than 5% turnout.

I don't know the answers but I think the bill has a long way to go yet.

I think you're probably about right there Matt, on both counts !

You've only got to think about Council and Parish elections, so few people bother.

The problem still stands though, deciding how big to make the eligibility, rather than how few people would be bothered to use their prerogative.

And what legitimacy will an elected body have if only 5% of those eligible to vote exercise their rights?.....

Quite true Bob.

It's unlikely that the majority of that 5% will have the best interests of the "National Park" as a whole, either.

The voting "majority"  may turn out to be the ones with their own insular agendas.

I remember someone joking once about democracy, saying that the most effective form of government was dictatorship, tempered with the occasional assassination :naughty:

No money or effort wasted on electioneering or "playing to the voters", and you don't get stuck with a despot.