Bringing A Dinghy

Jacob

Hi all,

I've booked Limelight from 28/06/2014. Obviously I can hire a dinghy through HW, but it's extra cost. I have a small RHIB type dinghy with an outboard. Is this allowed? Will the BA kick off?

Appreciate any advice!

I take an inflatable dinghy and outboard when we go. You will need insurance as a condition of the tolls. Short toll for a dinghy and an outboard is about £17 a week.

It does take up a lot of room in the car though and the outboard goes in the roofbox!

Hi Jacob,

I would assume that your dingy & outboard is covered under your home insurance, if this is the case check with your insurer if your insurance covers public liability.

Just a thought, but to be honest it would be easier hiring from the boatyard in the long run.

Regards

Alan

Hi Jacob,

I would assume that your dingy & outboard is covered under your home insurance, if this is the case check with your insurer if your insurance covers public liability.

Just a thought, but to be honest it would be easier hiring from the boatyard in the long run.

Regards

Alan

That's what I'm thinking. It's not actually mine it belongs to a friend who I'm going with. The only thing I think I'd dislike about having a dinghy with me is the pain it causes when mooring. I've never moored with one, but would think it's a pain in the ass!

......I would assume that your dingy & outboard is covered under your home insurance, if this is the case check with your insurer if your insurance covers public liability......

I may be wrong Alan, but I doubt if that cover would suffice for the BA's Insurance stipulation on powered craft.

Home contents insurance can indeed be extended to cover "removable items", like dinghies and bikes, but it is always against theft or damage caused by a third party, rather than damage caused to them.

I doubt whether the Public liability clause on home insurance would cover damage caused to property by such items as small boats and bikes either. It's more applicable to things like tiles falling of your roof and injuring people.

The minimum insurance requirement by the BA for powered craft is third party liability, which would be specifically for named, itemised craft, against them causing damage to persons or possessions.

There is a very cheap way of getting dinghy insurance though, if you already insure a larger craft.

I'm with Craftinsure, and  my 23ft sports cruiser premium is about £150. The additional premium to extend the cover to my two dinghies and three canoes (all capable of taking outboards), was only £20, (and they are covered for independent use away from the "Mother Vessel".)

Strowager is correct.. You will need 3rd party insurance and provide a certificate to BA to obtain the tax for it. I use craft insure for all my boats (http://www.craftinsure.com/) but most of the online ones are the same.. It should only cost you about £20 for the year for 3rd party, although make sure you tell them you have a motor.

As others mentioned, It may be cheaper and easier to hire a dinghy from the boatyard as you will probably hardly use it and considering we have 2 nice dingies we never use then (even at home).

(Private owners a dinghy add on is normally free addition to your policy...)

Have a good trip.

You don't need to show your insurance to anybody but when you sign the toll you are signing to say that you have insurance and I THINK the public liability requirement is £2m.

I insured dinghy and outboard for 12 months for about £37 with Nobel Marine. £37+£17 toll+£10 of petrol=£64 or about 4 hours day boat hire.

We use ours for two weeks each year and for more than 4 hours.

A couple of weeks ago we all get in ours and spent the day above potter Heigham for the first time, there was a bit of breeze on the Broad though and going into it was a bit wet!

Hi Jacob,

You need to get a crew member to pull the dinghy around the side of the boat and attach the rope to the bow well out of the way so other boats can moor at the side of you if there is space.

Dinghies are good if you have a young crew, so they can go off on their own (or under supervision)if wearing their life vests, they are also good if used for getting ashore whilst mud weighted etc, but the rest of the time they can be a pain. Watch out whilst towing the dinghy that it does not go from side to side hitting moored boats. 

Regards

Alan