Grandfather Rights on buildings on plots on Broads

Raymondu

A quick search of the term 'grandfather rights' shows that they certainly exist, but that they are included in statutes and regulations, as those are updated. For example (not relating to property, I know), the Navigation Bye Laws establish a length and beam exemption for vessels that were regisitered prior to a certain date in the early 1990s. If you have a particular case in mind, you would have to look at the relevant planning legislation to see if some exemption or other was added to allow, or disallow, particular development to take place.

• 3 months later...

I have also heard the term used in Industry for positions like H&E and Transport Management where people were certified to carry on as qualified by experience. Whereas people coming in would have needed a formal examination qualification. I have never heard it with regards to property. There are many examples of old properties built under "Squaters Rights" however normally were shelters on common land once stood that somehow escaped the enclosure acts.