Pubs on the Broads.

Hello To All,

I am not sure if anyone can help with this. Hubby was up on the Broads in the 60 / 70. What he has been trying to find is information of Pubs on the Broads going back to the 60 / 70. We ourselves have been coming up for the past 10 years, but without luck all the book shops we have visited could not help.

One pub we have found is The Locks at Geldeston and he remembers Sue the dear old lady at The Locks and the way it was.

So can anyone else remember pubs like this on the Broads?

If anyone could help Hubby with his quest that would be great.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Marina  :Stinky

Hi Marina and Welcome

I’ve been a regular visitor to most of the Broads pubs since the mid 70’s so can remember most that were around then. Some that are sadly no longer with us are the Eagle at Neatishead, Bridge Hotel at Potter Heigham, Barton Angler, Wherry at Langley, Castle at Wroxham (sob) Railway at Reedham, Bure Court at Hoveton, Black Horse near Horning to name but a few. Sadly in the pre-digital age images, particularly interiors are particularly hard to find.

If you’ve not already discovered it check out Carol’s excellent website

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/

cheersbar

I remember the Sutton Staithe hotel used to be a club. This was, I think, to get over some license issue or something.

To become a member, you had to be a member of another club... any club... it didn't matter what club, any would do.

Proof of membership was not required, your word was good enough.

Fun little issue that made it memorable. :)

Hi Marina,

Welcome to the NBN, I think you'll find it quite a nice forum to be part of.  Management and I hope to visit The Locks in July, we usually do at some point when we visit the Broads.  It is still a nice pub.

Keith :)

Hi John

I seriously wouldn’t recommend it. I last ventured down there 2 years ago. There used to be a couple of informal moorings on the right hand side just before the old rail bridge but these seem to have become overgrown. In fact the whole dyke is now quite overgrown and narrower than I remember it. The entrance to Rowancraft is just to the left before the bridge. Small boats tend to moor around there – see picture.

I went down very slowly with Swan Royale at 32 foot and had great difficulty turning even with bow thrusters. It is really only suitable for small motorised craft or dinghies I would suggest. Or canoes which I believe you can hire from Rowancraft.

One option if you are feeling energetic is to walk from the Locks but is something like a 2k round trip. I have done it though. The other problem is that the Wherry pub is hardly ever open – it must be 10 years since I’ve been in. It’s all fairly bog standard Adnams from memory. Pleasant walk though on a nice day.

post-38-0-83099000-1403167701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We went down as far as you can see on the Photo. There is an entrance on the left before the low bridge, so I reversed into that and them moored up on the right hand side of the photo. There is Space for a few boats to moor up. We were on Swallow from Maffetts which is only 28 foot long, but there was another boat who had done the same thing he must have been 35 foot long. I turned out to be a waste of time as the Pub was shut that night. We went onto the Locks. Nice food. The route into the village is a nice walk.

There have been seven pubs in Ludham down the years. Now only 2 remain. I suspect that the others were all a bit before your time.

If you explore the pictues on the albums on this page you will find various pictures of them http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/photo.htm

For pictures of those remaining try: http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/pubs.htm

Nigel

Ludham Community Archive Group

• Like 2

Hello to you all and thanks for the information on Pubs on the Norfolk Broads from the 60 / 70's. My husband will be really interested in all your information. As for The Locks, we are unable to get there by boat, our boat is too large to get under the old road bridge at Beccles. We have been there by road, which is just as interesting by road as by river. We have an Alpha 29 ( exhire) she is called Sweet Kingfisher and our last boat was a Shetland 4+2 called Little Kingfisher.

If you see us, please give us a wave.  :Stinky

• Like 1

lol thanks Grace.. I think its the other way round really... like when my dad hit his head on potter bridge.. (The new one..!).. 

And mum the boat does get under beccles.. remember I tried it last year. There was a millimetre or two spare! I've got a picture somewhere... 

Hello Grace, Oh yes I have embarrassed Alan in the past, but when he is skipper on my / our boat I have to behave (not). As for getting under Beccle bridge that we would not try. Any news on what is happening on the broads, as we still can't get out on the river or at Brundall?

Regards

Marina :Stinky  

Hi Marina

We are not lucky enough to have a boat on the Broads I'm afraid so only know what's happening on the rivers via this Forum at the moment.

Hope your boat get's sorted soon, have to add that Alan is a sweetheart and is well liked on here, so it wouldn't hurt to share some baby photos, I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing them, he's gonna kill me lol

Grace

Hi Marina, 

Holidays with Richardsons once or twice a year work permitting and the odd weekend, our dream is to one day move there for good but then I guess that's the dream of most of us Broads nutters lol

For me there's this kind of magic about the Broads that you just can't get out of your system, we went to Spain a couple of years ago and all I could think of was the Broads and how I could have been on a boat instead of here.

How did your love of the Broads start? cheers 

Grace 

Hello Grace, why do you go to Richardsons why not try Brundalls boats. Silverline Marine and Alphacraft are both very good boat hire.

How did I / we get up to the broads? Hubby (Ian) had been up on the broads back up in the 60 and early 70's and he wanted us as a family to go boating, but I kept saying no to boating, as I and the kids could not swim and I am scared of water. It was Alan who started boating on the broads back in the mid-late 90ish. He asked us up for a day on his hire boat, which I said ok and guest what, I loved it. The next year we had a week on the broads with Alan and his friend and then the follow year we had a two week holiday with the boys. That was a wonderful two weeks. The following year we were both 50, so we hired a boat on our own out of Hickling. Alan was on a Martham boat. After that we started hiring from Sliverline at Brundall. We were hiring twice a year. Then in 2009 at the London Boat Show (we went with Alan not to buy a boat) we brought a new boat. She was a Shetland 4+2 and we called her Little Kingfisher. She was too small for Alan to use. To this day I still cannot swim and still scared of water, but I love being on the boat and boating. So how do I do all my jobs on the boat? No idea.  :party: I am missing not being out on the river. 

Please let me know next time you are up. We have our two holiday on the boat for the first two weeks of Sept.

All the best.

Kind regards

Marina

:Stinky

• Like 2