Rhonde (alternative definition)

It's time to explain what was behind this post and ask for help.

I was talking to a non-boating friend when the word Rhonde came up, I of course new that this was an area of raised ground at the edge of a body of water, that's why we have a rhonde anchor, or so I thought, he came up with the above definition.

Anyway because I was so certain of being right I made the rash offer of a pint of JS if proven wrong, this is looking like costing me £2 (pub in Gravesend sells it at that price Monday through Thursday) a sum of money that will not break the bank but will leave me with egg on my face.

So having searched the internet badly (techno-phoebe) I can only find his definition of Rhonde and nothing supporting my case, "HELP"

:bow

littlesprite, you win, so no need to save up for a pint or worry about an eggy face. Just print off the attached document, obtained from the BA web site, and show it to your friend. Not only is the word 'rond' mentioned several times, but the document even describes how a rond is created.

Reed_Rond_Creation_after_Floodbank_Set-back_1.doc

• Like 1

Hence why it is called a rond anchor, for anchoring in the rond.

Which reminds me of many years ago, just before you got onto Hickling broad, can't quite remember where. There was a very large piece of rond had broken away and totally blocked the navigation. As it was in the depths of winter not a huge amount of chaos ensued. They manoeuvred it out of the channel and was kept in place by driving some old telegraph poles in front of it.

• Like 1

Shorter OED (a big book, not the internet):

Rond - In East Anglia, a marshy, reed covered strip of land between a natural river bank and a man made embankment.

c/f Rand - A border or margin of esp. marshy land.

Interestingly the second reference has its origin in old Frisian and Old Saxon (Dutch). And of course the Dutch managed an awful lot of land drainage in 17th, 18th and 19th centuries in this country.

• Like 1