Waste on the Broads,how short sighted ?

Boaters

When we were out last week there were many normal bins around the broads which were now full and overflowing. Yes as has been mentioned Potter both the one opposite the chip shop and the one near the bridge. The worst one we saw was the one next to the children's playground at Stokesby.

The problem with flytipping is that, all too often, it is at the land owner's expense. Not all collection sites will be council owned.

But, fly tipping will be a problem. Then there will be an environmental issue.

The council offices are at the Town Hall, a large brick building just on the North East Bank of Haven Bridge.  Please, register your opposition to this remarkably stupid decision by filling their bins

• Like 1

The issue with household bins is that there is not a national policy of what colour, what can also be put into the bins etc, also every region is different.

In Sheffield we used to have Green (garden waste, grass, hedge clipping etc, now withdrawn unless you pay) Blue for plastic, glass or paper (there is a bin plus a box, you choose which has the paper in) and Black for general waste.

More recycling should be encouraged by the councils, I know in Sheffield since they have withdrawn the Green bin service they can not fully meet their targets with regards to recycling.

In Devon where we are staying they have  Brown & Green the Green are for general waste and the brown can be used for all food waste, garden waste and paper and cardboard.

I find that people who collect the rubbish on the Norfolk Broads are very amenable and will go out of their way to help boaters. We were moored at Loddon at the staithe last season and I asked one of the guys who were empting the bins(located next to the public toilets)if there was a bottle recycling bin, he replied sadly not but if you have any rubbish just leave it outside the back of your boat and we will remove it (in Sheffield if it does not go into the bin with the lid flat they will not collect it).

As I said earlier we need a national policy so everyone knows where we all stand.

I like the idea of using the council office bins, but could not endorse that action, honest. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

"Buy meat fillets, rather than on the bone, which has to be disposed of etc."

Have runner beans on toast instead baked beans in the tin, which has to be disposed of.

The kids will love them. :cry 

Beans are fine, it's the kids that smell funny after a can of beans, not the empty tin...... ;)

• Like 1

Up here we have Green for general waste, Blue for Glass, paper and plastic, Brown for garden, oh and Small Grey for used food waste. Wonder if we will get a White one next for snow waste?  :naughty:  :naughty: I do hope this problem is resolved soon, with the Broads reaching peek season!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

"Please, register your opposition to this remarkably stupid decision..." Couldn't agree with you more Andy.

I've been reading this thread and wonder what the council over there think they are there for, they are supposed to protect the environment not spoil it.

Over here they are not bad, we have 3 bins and a plastic bag for paper and cardboard.  A blue bin for plastic, glass and tins.  A green bin for garden waste and a grey bin for General Waste.

Keith :)

• Like 1

Here in Bristol we have  -

1) a black wheelie bin (about 1/3 the size of the usual ones); this is for non-recyclable waste and gets collected every two weeks.

All the following get collected every week

2) a green box for cartons, plastic bottles and food trays, cardboard, aerosols and food and drink cans

3) a black box for glass, paper, batteries (car and domestic), engine oil, and fabric

4) a brown food bin (we also have a small brown food bin which is kept in the kitchen and emptied when necessary into the larger one outside.)

You can have a garden waste collection, in which case you have a blue bin and have to pay extra but most don't bother and put it in the black bin..

Bristol was  one of the first places in the country to introduce the multi-bin system, so  we were in a sense 'guinea pigs' and at first there were quite a few 'teething troubles', especially since the council kept changing the rules about what went where.  However, things seem to have settled down now.

• Like 1

North Norfolk:  Green bin for recyclables (except glass), black bin for other shizz, brown bin (if you're willing to pay) for garden waste.  Alternate weekly collections for the green and black bins.  Glass we have to take to the local bottle bank ourselves.

South Norfolk: Green bin for 'other shizz', black bin for recyclables. All else ditto!   :cry :cry :cry

I was just in time to listen to that interview.

Trevor Wainwright, Labour leader of the council, said that the government had reclassified boat waste as 'commercial waste' and they are now having to pay a bill from Norfolk County Council for disposal of such waste, back-dated to 2012 (2 x £15,000). As we all know (and so should he), only waste from hire boats has been reclassified. Waste from private boats is still classifeld as 'domestic waste'.

He also said that they have only received two complaints of rubbish accumulating at the sites from which the bins were removed...so you now know where to send your complaints and photos...

leader@great-yarmouth.gov.uk

• Like 3

I guess that they can't or won't distinguish between private and hire.

I seems unreasonable for the county council to back-date a bill, but as we all know, councils are a law unto themselves.

Trevor Wainwright was trying to pass the buck here as much as possible. The fact is that Great Yarmouth has decided to take this action because of costs when the bigger picture is an environmental problem with greater costs (although possibly as some of these costs are not the councils, he probably dosen't care too much) and more and more moans about the lack of facilities on Britain's Magical Waterland that brings so much money to the local economy. Moans can very easily turn into voting with your feet.

• Like 3

May as well post what us folk have in the Beccles area.

Green bin - garden waste, food waste.

Blue bin - paper, plastic 

Black bin - anything else that doesnt go in the other two.     

Grey caddy bin in doors - food waste.

We have to provide the special biodegradable bags for the food waste in the Grey caddy.  These are not cheap.

Lucky old you Bristol to have the food bin collected weekly.    Ours are Green and Blue one week and Black the next so every two weeks.

• 4 months later...

Received my Autumn newsletter fro NSBA this morning and read that some other places are going to remove wast bins from mooring spots. They are Dilham Staith, Womack Staith, Ludam Bridge, Horning ferry, and Barton Turf. It mentions about Ranworth as well but says the BA are going to pick up the tab for this site.

With an ever extending list of sites losing their rubbish bins the question which comes into my mind is, "How much will it be likely to cost for the BA to go fishing to remove all the rubbish from the water"? 

More than an annual fishing licence i'll bet.

The more bins that are removed the more the non-caring element of the public are likely to just dump it in the water or on the river banks!

Not the best way to encourage more people to come and spend their cash in the area

Jeff

• Like 3

seems yet another facility has been removed from boaters.

Low toll increases,remove facilities, create a fuss and demand,then oh we can provide at a cost......hey presto! 10% toll increase!

We listen to what our customers say.

Maybe they have plans for a wherry refuse collection service?

Private sector opportunity?

It is a key piece of tourist infrastructure, ridiculous and very very shortsighted make this decision! I guess the boatyards can take care of reciprocal rubbish removal for hirers in the same way they provide moorings for each other, but the privateers are really going to struggle.

Rubbish, rubbish and even mair rubbish!!! :cry  BA and the councils need their heads banged together. I agree hirers are a little better off, but that will be the regular hirers who know where to dispose of said rubbish. Otherwise the newbies may not know where to find refuse bins etc. Oh great joys ahead, not, I forsee in my crystal rubbish ball!

Also, with a general election on in May, when as it happens, I shall be on the rivers. I suspect there will be even more waste as in leaflets blown about adding to the litter mess.

cheers Iain

Hi all.

I must admit that when we were up there for a fortnight a week ago we also had problems finding somewhere to get rid of the rubbish.  It is a problem, as there doesn't appear to be the recycling points either that we are used to.  I try to seperate out the various items, but obviously storing them for a while can lead to other problems with smells etc especially in the summer months.

Iain.  You mentioned that you would be on the rivers for the general election.  That got me thinking, after checking the schedule, we also are on the rivers for that date.  If I hadn't been following this thread I wouldn't have even thought of this until too late.  Will have to apply for a postal vote me thinks. 

SueH

I don't want to worry you all but I will anyway, this could happen to Norfolk and the Broads, Essex isn't that far away.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2853700/The-real-culprits-fly-tip-one-mile-long-s-green-fanatics-meddling-EU-going-dump-expensive-nightmare-us.html

I have long had the feeling that writing to a forum like this or the comments regarding the above article don't make the slightest difference, tomorrow it is all forgotten, the politicians continue in their own arrogant way regardless of what we think, but if we could all act as collective and make it clear to them at the next election we will vote them out if they will not listen, we might make some headway; I realise it is but a pipe dream but...  This is regardless of their politics by the way.

Have a nice day. :)

• Like 2