Waste on the Broads,how short sighted ?

Boaters

Stop bashing the BA on this - why is it their fault?. It is a legal responsibility of councils STILL to remove personal waste and the BA (and us! ) are going to have to shoulder the burden. So please explain why the BA needs its head bashing?

Don't apportion blame on everything Broads related to them - its not their doing!! But you can see where pressure continues to be placed on them to continuer to raid the navigation budget - i have no doubt from whence the inevitable costs foisted on the BA will come from

Stop bashing the BA on this - why is it their fault?. It is a legal responsibility of councils STILL to remove personal waste and the BA (and us! ) are going to have to shoulder the burden. So please explain why the BA needs its head bashing?

Don't apportion blame on everything Broads related to them - its not their doing!! But you can see where pressure continues to be placed on them to continuer to raid the navigation budget - i have no doubt from whence the inevitable costs foisted on the BA will come from

Ok I will rephrase my original post, Marshman, It was meant as a all get together and get it sorted out. I don't live there I holiday there, I know of the BA, I do not know ALL the councils involved, so I stated BA and councils get together and for the general good of ALL get it sorted out.

I don't BA bash never have, but in this case I believe IMHO they have to BE involved. Rubbish is IMO a VERY serious, with health issues for sure will raise its ugly head, given the chance too.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

I pay to dispose of oil when my car is serviced. I pay to dispose of old tyres when worn out. So a few pounds on top of the annual toll would be a small price to keep the Broads clean.

The Hire Industry should be paying anyway like a hotel or a camp site. If a levy was put on each holiday I am sure it would not be  that much.

The councils crow on about the tourist industry but nobody wants to come to a litter strewn destination.

• Like 2

All we hear about these days is cut in Government or Council spending, why is it with all of these cuts we are paying more in taxes be they direct or indirect taxes.

What do we get for the taxes taken direct from us all (unlike big businesses that are invited to pay taxes):-

Reduced services in waste collection (even though most authorities are not meeting their recycling targets)

Parks, Libraries, Youth Clubs hardly providing serves or even being closed.

Roads, Street lighting run on a shoe string and the only time you see a road sweeper is prior to a local election.

Hospital waiting lists getting longer, struggling to get an appointment at the GP's or getting on a Dentists NHS list.

Funding for all the emergency services cut.

All the above are services that the general public pay for and need and many of us can not understand why these basic services should not be maintained or even can I say it invested in.

Maybe I should have posted this in the BOG section, rant over.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

Marshman, the BA is picking up Ranworth. I think it is within their remit to maintain the navigation, and moorings, so why not rubbish collection from moorings too? Actually. I think that local councils have probably come to this view themselves in their cost cutting exercise. I don't say they are right in this or that the BA is to blame, but I do think that the future pattern will have to be one of BA contracting collections and meeting the cost from the tolls or getting tourist dependent businesses to 'sponsor' collection points.

Removal of rubbish is not a cheap thing, but the cost really isn't the main issue here. 

The problem is that: 

1. the Broads which is a protected environment will be more litter strewn
  2. vermin will proliferate
  3. tourism experiences will be marred which will impact long term economic stability

and various knock-on effects. 

The councils benefit hugely from the tourism that the Broads brings. It's value to the local economy is massive; damage this and everything is impacted. And just as the BA wants to force the NP issue. 

These fools in power making decisions where they can't see beyond the bottom of today's balance sheet need to shot. 

• Like 5

I have just emailed the BA and asked if they can place on their web site a list of places that do still and will provide facilities for the dumping of boat rubbish.

These facilities that will be available will have to be emptied far more often otherwise they will become mountains of black sacks etc attracting rats and flies.     Not very pleasant to moor near at all.

• Like 4

It is time that someone applied a bit of leadership here. Surely the local councils must realise that the stance they are taking is detrimental to their own interests in the long-term. BA, in their role as promoters of tourism, and the "national park" agenda must realise that having litter dumped under hedgerows and floating down rivers undermines their no doubt expensively contrived marketing strategy and the hire yards must likewise realise that their customers  will find it off putting if there is nowhere safe and hygienic to dispose of their waste. 

These three groups need to get together and sort a proper solution out before the 2015 boating season. 

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Steve

• Like 4

If I read the link correctly in one of the earlier posts, it looks like the total cost to the BA for rubbish removal is £75K a year.

Now if I was a cunning BA finance director, I would suggest to the councils they they go half and half as it will help to reduce their costs in removing fly tipped rubbish and help keep the environment healthy, and provide a service that a lot of residents are already paying for (as a Norfolk resident any rubbish I have on the boat means less I have at home, but it ends up the same volume).

Then (and lets assume there are 10,000 registered boats in total on the Broads as mentioned in another post) I would whack an extra £7.50 on every boat licence the justification being it is to pay for rubbish removal which we all want. Then use any surplus to pay for other facilities (or a little bonus for the cunning finance director :naughty: ). Or be nice and just whack £3.75 on each licence if the council go halves.

I really like the idea of the boatyards paying for all of this though, but then I am a private boat owner :naughty:  - even I don't think that would be fair despite the fact the hire boats will generate more rubbish in a year than I would, I still want the facilities to be there for me. :bow  Maybe a £1 a yr for private boats then. :dance  :dance  :dance

So, how do I suggest this to the BA?

I think that I am correct in saying that the majority of hire boat company's,if not all of them, provide a waste disposal facility for their customers, and indeed the facility could well be extended to other visiting hire craft.

With regard to the company's that provide moorings for large numbers of private craft, situated throughout the broads, do they provide a waste disposal facility for their customers or are they expected to take their rubbish home, or make other arrangements?

Old Wussername

I very much doubt anything will be even partially sorted out by the start of the 2015 season.

We have a position where nobody wants to admit responsibility – now due to the fact of cost.  Once upon a time local councils dealt with their own waste and this was all covered by the rates the residents and businesses paid, but over the years central and local government have discovered they are sitting on virtual piles of money – this rubbish actually has a worth, and there are now plenty of commercial companies willing to remove it.  Along with taking away the rubbish they also take away all the issues of fleet maintenance, staff contracts and pay and all the administration work behind the scenes and simply ask in return an amount of money for doing it – a lot of money actually.

It might have originally seemed like a good idea and may have also cost less – but I have to wonder if this is still the case in some areas, such as my own borough of London where the former council deports and rubbish collection centres have gone and now our waste is driven off ‘out of borough’ to somewhere else to be processed – and that processing is carried out by another commercial company, who surely pass on their fees to the company my council is paying who then pass such on to the council – and on it goes.  It is about money as much as it is about rubbish.

Even on a simple level of a boatyard – they will have a contract with a commercial waste collector – let’s say Biffa. Well as things stood the boatyard (and Biffa in my example) would know pretty much how much waste was being generated and collections required for that would be set – thus Biffa would have a contract worth x sum per year.

Now since we have lost numerous points along the rivers to get rid of rubbish, not only will the boatyards own hirers be utilising their rubbish facilities more – but other boats from other boatyards will be making use of them too.  So now the bins are needing to be emptied more, but should the boatyard now have to pay more with their contract with Biffa for this – and if so, do they pass the charge on to their hirers which may well seem very unfair – what one must factor in too is the hirers from say Richardson’s dropping their rubbish off at Herbert Woods and vice versa. It must be the case that since bins have vanished from moorings more boaters use boatyards refuse facilities – leave aside the private boaters who can also pop in and drop off their waste!

It’s a nightmare.

I am sure the local council would be more than happy at the above situation  – indeed it would not surprise me if they said that x amount of waste comes from hire boats (I am sure they can cobble some statistics up) and so the businesses should make a fair contribution to the removal of this waste. Furthermore, because the bins are on private property the council does not even have to worry about how they look vermin and such because ‘it’s not on our property’.

Of course that is no way to run things and would not be sustainable.  All that is going to happen is come high summer numerous places will have rubbish dumped, from wild moorings to formal ones, small roadside bins in the likes of Horning or Wroxham will become full and then surrounded by bags of rubbish and the poor boatyards own facilities will be stretched more than they ever have been. 

This is something I think needs people locally and business together with visitors to the area to push the council’s to come to a solution.

May be if they stopped paying huge salaries to pen pushers at the top and jobs for the boys there would be money for essentials ie waste disposal.  People are not going to want to come to a huge fly tipping site, rivers clogged with rubbish and props being fouled up all of the time.  I thought we had moved on from this.    This is the 21st century.   so we have to pay another £1 or so on our tolls I would rather that and have the convenience of the boat rubbish bins.      Get rid of all of the perks being offered to office wallers, company cars etc.     Money could be spent not only on waste disposal but also would provide us with more Rangers plus a suitable boat for use on Breydon and not a boy racer as we have at the moment.

Time for me to get my coat....   rant over.

• Like 1

From now till the beginning of next season, this subject will become more and more heated for sure. My main concerns are health issues, vermin in particular. Well Rats really! Will it take a kiddy say to be bitten before those in charge do something about it all?

As Hylander says, its the twenty first century and we should have progressed, sadly this is not the case.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 30/06/2014 at 7:16 PM, 10B said:

"Buy meat fillets, rather than on the bone, which has to be disposed of etc."

Have runner beans on toast instead baked beans in the tin, which has to be disposed of.

The kids will love them. :cry 

Well that will give them one of their 5 a day==================

The |Wench