Bannockburn

CooWee

You are welcome Grace and seeing Dave's rather good post made me think there are, presumably, burial pits to look for (like at Towton).  I am not sure that necessarily tells you the actual site of where the fighting took place, but it might give a few pointers.  Anyway we'll see what conclusion they come to next Sunday.  I like Neil Oliver, a proud Scotsman, but fair in my view.

I think if I saw that big lad nearby on the battlefield I'd try and be somewhere else sharpish. :shock:

Keith :)

• Like 1

Hi Keith, have you seen the film Braveheart with Mel Gibson in the title role, I know not Historically correct but a good watch none the less. We've watched it a couple of times and when they go into battle and charge towards each other I always think if it were me I'd run the other bloody way lol.

Grace

My last post was only mean't to be light hearted, the fact that it is a masterpiece of an understatement as you put it is neither here nor their, if I wanted fact and not fiction I would watch the said movie or the documentary channels  two guns

Grace

• Like 3

Keith yous wurny robbed atawe yous were gubbed!  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

We had this prog up here last month. Not been, yet, but the new Bannockburn visitor centre is getting good reviews up here.

cheers Iain.

P.S. Neil Oliver is frae the same toon as me Keith, and the same school! Think he was born though in Renfrewshire.

• Like 1

What ho, racey Gracie,

I have seen Braveheart a couple of times, not a bad film if you take it with a pinch of salt.  I am not a fan of Mel Gibson though.

On the subject of films being mythical, this might be of interest.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/myths/myths.htm

Pet names, if I am in trouble or haven't done something it is a

sharp Keith :norty: , when we want something it is a long drawn out Keefie. :eek:

I forgot to mention while we are being all things Scottish I had Baxter's Highlanders Broth for lunch.  I like those Baxter's broth soups and they do a posh one which isn't Royal Game, although I do like that as well. Cullen Skink is nice.

Hi Ian, It has been a while since I have been to Stirling, must put that on the list and we still want to do the Caledonian.

Keith, if doing the Cally n Loch Ness, tack my advice, do not do it in the Midgie Season. Unless you like being eaten alive! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:  I prefer these days if went up yon way, to dae the length of it all by car. Yon boats look too high oot the water fur ma dodgey old legs.

Asfur yon wee fella Mel Gibson, his scottish accent wizny the worstest ave heard  :clap

cheers Iain.

p.s. Some words in my scots accent for Grace to practice on! :naughty:

• Like 1

Blimey, talk about threads descending into chaos lol.

Dave, I happen to love Maltesers, they are my favourite chocs and I do hope I didn't upset you in my earlier post

Keith, I'm not overly keen on Mel Gibson either give me Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt any day

Iain, I cany get this wee Scottish talk but am really trying ta learn. :kiss

Grace

Keith, if doing the Cally n Loch Ness, tack my advice, do not do it in the Midgie Season. Unless you like being eaten alive! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:  

Wise words indeed! This time last year I was getting married at Beattock and suffered over 50 midgy bites on each knee. Luckily none ventured any further up my kilt! "bugs the size of a pin head with 3 inch long fangs" was how they were described by one guide on our honeymoon on the Caledionian!

• Like 1

Reminds me of a true story, many years ago when I was a young man, one of my customers was Rolls Royce Hillingdon. The guy in charge there was called Alex Macky and when ever I went up to visit he would come to the hotel and have dinner with me. After a few months he suggested that instead of having a meal in the hotel that he should take me out to show me the "real Glasgow" Well being young and foolish, of course I was up for it.

He picked me up at the hotel and we went in to Glasgow central, had a few beers and a bite to eat and Alex says "Right time for Sauchiehall Street" well I'd never heard of this but it was not a very salubrious area to say the least. Alex says as we approach a very rough looking establishment "keep your mouth shut, non of yer namby pamby Gin and Tonics, just follow me" 

So in we go to this place that was painted bright red, inside and out, it had no windows and had no tables or chairs and as we approached the bar I noticed it was fitted with shutters (more of this later) anyway Alex orders 2 pints of heavy and couple of drams. So we are stood near the bar talking in whispers and i asked Alex about the shutters, he pointed to 2 corners of the room and screwed in to the wall were 2 hooks. Alex said that at closing time often the clientèle were 2 drunk to leave so they stretched a rope between the 2 hooks and hung the drunks over it so they didn't choke on their own vomit, they closed the shutters on the bar and left the door open so as they sobered up they could leave. Now 40 years later I'm still not sure if that was true. Anyway as we were talking this huge Scotsman elbows me in the ribs and says "'elloo Sonny I hear yeh English? Alex gives me a warning shake of the head so I just gulp "yes sorry". He says " Aye no worries Son I know a place not many miles from here where there are more English than Scotts!" "Oh yes says" I, "Aye Laddie" he replies "Bannockburn and there all deed!"

Exit rapidly stage left.

Dave cheersbar

You should have piped up and talked about the wonderful battlefield at Flodden..... :D