Drinking at the Helm

Gracie

Hi All

While on holiday I will often have a glass of something nice when helming, is this now illegal and what would happen if I was pulled over by the River Police?

I am talking just a glass or two and not getting raving drunk, we have always done this in the past, something was mentioned on another thread and it just got me wondering.

Grace

We tend to wait until we are moored up.      Saying that on very very cold mornings we have added a drop of Brandy to a coffee but only a drop.   I am always of the opinion that you should have all of wits about you when mooring.   

I'm sure it is as illegal as driving a car. I think someone reminded me last year when they noticed a fosters glass on the dashboard.. **Disclaimer** It was only a shandy...(Reminds me I need to return that glass!)...  i think they breath test you and you get a serious telling off...

Seriously and obviously boating can be very dangerous.. people do die on the broads and no one should be anywhere near water when they are drunk.

• Like 1

So it is officially illegal then? get where you are coming from regarding having your wits about you when mooring up, my son's normally have the ropes and step off when we come along side and they don't drink I promise

Alan, of course it was Shandy, Mine's Ribena in a wine glass lol  cheers

Grace

Certainly appears so and happened because some idiot on the south coast hit a boat and speed and was wasted.. (Hope the threw away the key).

"Anyone found guilty of the offences would face a maximum fine of £5,000 at a magistrates court." 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4591613/Yacht-owners-to-be-subject-to-breathalyser-drink-drive-rules.html

Realistically though on the broads I suspect the police will just give a right telling off unless anything dangerous has occurred (and maybe moreso if a young crew is aboard), but the message is still clear (you) shouldn't drink and drive. 

Lol grace.. it really is only shandy.. I'm not a heavy drinker so I can't drink too much.. cheers

Many years ago Grace at Potter Heigham three of us were chatting as you do waiting for our turn to go through that Bridge when a boat came into moor up, the lad made the fatal mistake of trying to jump off before the boat reached the side, needless to say he had no lifejacket on. To cut a protracted story short, he was half cut as they say. Know one loved a drink more than yours truely, sadly through health issues this is now a thing of the past. Has it ruined my Broads fix. Nope if anything I see the whole thing in a much better light. 

As has had ben said the odd sherbert while cruising along, but the bottles of wine etc AFTER doing the days cruising is best IMHO.

cheers Iain.

Here it is, directly from the Norfolk Constabulary:

Water safety

“When the weather is fine, then you know it’s a sign for messing about on the river.”

Picture the scene. The sun shines bright. The blue skies stretch out above without a cloud in sight. The nearby river glistens with rays of the sun. The sound of wildlife is interspersed with the sound of laughter – of friends or family sharing a drink and conversation… Welcome to Norfolk and the vast beautiful waterways that make up Norfolk’s national park – the Broads.

Yes, when the weather is fine, you know it’s a sign to head to the Broads. But whereas messing about on the river can be a fun day out, to ensure that your experience is enjoyable and one that leaves you only with fond memories, please follow the safety tips below, because ‘‘if you take our advice there’s nothing so nice as messing about on the river.’

Please wear your lifejacket / buoyancy aid at all times whilst on the boat or near the water’s edge
    On a hot day, the water may look an inviting place to cool down, but remember the Broads is unsuitable for swimming in. The colder temperatures, along with underwater plants and fast currents provide unseen obstacles that can endanger the life of anyone entering the water
    Never enter the water to get someone out - reach, or throw a rope or anything that will float
    Keep an eye on everyone on board, particularly children, and avoid sitting on the front of the boat

Alcohol and water can be a dangerous mix. The risk of falling into the water increases with alcohol consumption. Remember it is illegal to navigate a vessel under the influence of drink or drugs and there are hefty fines for those that do

• Like 1

Personally i/we wait until we are moored or mud weighted with the engine off before the beverages flow..... but have seen many boats helmed that look like a floating beer festival.

Jonzo beat me to it. The bylaws are here http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/399230/Navigation_Byelaws_1995-1.pdf and if you scroll down to paragraph 83 on page 34 it states just what Jonzo quoted.

Personally I'll have a couple of beers en route normally, but no more until safely tied up. Mooring is difficult enough at times without judgement being compromised. It's very easy to screw up big time with 460hp at my fingertips!

Hi the same as most of the other posters I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with my lunch especially on a hot day. Yes we do have them: :naughty: 

I am not in favour of crews getting wasted on the Broads or any waterway for that matter it just causes ill feeling and at worst potential death to the crew or who they may encounter.

After saying that the policing of any policy or law like this is very difficult to enforce. A Broads Authority Ranger or a Cost Guard Office could detain you until the police were called to breathalise you, on the Thames the river police are police officers so that would be a different case.

In the article above:-

"The Government takes alcohol abuse at sea very seriously," said Jim Fitzpatrick, a transport minister.

So serious that most MP's are giving a spirit allowence of House of Commons branded whisky etc.

I did a job for an MP in Doncaster a few years ago, his office had a wall of cupboards floor to ceiling with more whisky bottles than I have ever seen in my life. I am talking hundreds here and I have been associated with Brewery work for more years than I can remember.

Goverments keep coming up with these knee jerk reactions/solutions when ever anything happens in the media and it is making this this once proud country more of a namby pamby state.

Regards
Alan

• Like 1

If you read the Link supplied by Jaws Orca to an item in the Telegrah, there are new laws coming in to force later this year...

If you read that article you will have seen it was published in 2009.

The bye laws haven't been changed. As has been said "A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel." (Bye Law 83)

There is no breath test. There is no blood/alcohol limit. Drinking while helming is NOT illegal. The advisability of doing so is a completely different matter.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the replies, I guess it really boils down to being sensible and not drinking too much, I do enjoy a glass of wine on a lovely sunny afternoon cruising along at a snails pace, slightly different to the booze cruisers.

We once witnessed an all male hire boat hit the quay heading at Brundall at such speed there was one hell of a gash down the side of the boat, they were drinking and it was only nine thirty in the morning, how the guy standing in the front well (bath tub boat) with a can of lager in hand never went over board is a miracle, he did fall backwards and out of sight though, but how dangerous and fatal that could have been, not to mention the damage to the hire boat........hubby went over to see if all were ok and said they were so drunk he had to take the ropes to moor them up and then phoned the boat yard, we left soon after so don't know the outcome, just plain stupidity, that is the worst we have ever witnessed so hopefully these kind of incidents are few and far between

Grace

A little laugh from the comedian Dave Allen. (slightly altered for the broads)

5% of all broads boating accidents are caused by drunk helmsmen!

That means 95% of all broads boating accidents are caused by sober helmsmen!

Therefore:- Sober helmsmen should stay moored up and let us drunks helm in peace! cheers  cheers

• Like 5

If we are cruising for a few hours we'll generally have a couple of glasses of whatever we fancy whilst underway - (I find it can make the long slog up the Bure from Yarmouth almost interesting).

Last year we were moored up at Perci's island on a lovely sunny day, sittiing in the cockpit with a glass of wine each, just watching the world go by.  There was very little wind and we were suddenly accosted by a sailor who had obviously spent quite a while tacking up river and making little headway in the process. I was busy watching the shenanigans going on across the river with boats trying to squeeze into the few remaining moorings on the green and outside the Swan, when a voice beside me said, rather plaintively - 'Mine's a Gin and Tonic'.

• Like 2

"Goverments keep coming up with these knee jerk reactions/solutions when ever anything happens in the media and it is making this this once proud country more of a namby pamby state."

Hi Alan, agreed and with our politicians who needs enemies.

As for me drinking and helming nothing much maybe the odd beer, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc.  Just kidding of course, maybe a small beer on a long cruise, although I am not supposed to drink anything. :cry

Keith cheersbar

"Goverments keep coming up with these knee jerk reactions/solutions when ever anything happens in the media and it is making this this once proud country more of a namby pamby state."

Hi Alan, agreed and with our politicians who needs enemies.

As for me drinking and helming nothing much maybe the odd beer, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc.  Just kidding of course, maybe a small beer on a long cruise, although I am not supposed to drink anything. :cry

Keith cheersbar

Keith, I come into the canny drink anymore catagory. But, thanks to Sainsburys, I have found  Erdinger 0% Wheatbeer, nice when well chilled. Also the new Bavaria 330ml 0% bottles. No hangovers either lol  

Farmfoods best for all Diet Can deals too. A whole new world to me over the past two plus years.

cheers Iain.

Keith, I come into the canny drink anymore catagory. But, thanks to Sainsburys, I have found  Erdinger 0% Wheatbeer, nice when well chilled. Also the new Bavaria 330ml 0% bottles. No hangovers either lol  

Farmfoods best for all Diet Can deals too. A whole new world to me over the past two plus years.

cheers Iain.

Just a quick question....

Which of those is the best accomplishment for a deep fried mars bar... :naughty:  :naughty:

runs off quick... :mouse:

• Like 2

A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence
of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking
proper control of the vessel.

Now define "under the influence"
Now define "Proper control"
And now explain those two definitions to the hirer.

I despair, I really do.
It is no more unwise to helm a boat "under the influence" than to do anything else that holds any level of risk "under the influence"...So, no more booze when you are...
Having a barbeque.
Being a pedestrian (so no walking home from the pub now!)
Carving a joint.
Doing anything near water.
Alternatively hows about carrying out your own "risk assessment" and getting on with enjoying life.
  • Like 3