Trip Boat Web Cam

Gracie

I have just been watching the Trip Boat on the cam, I've got to say it was magical seeing the rivers at night, do any of you private owners go on after dark cruises?. Obviously being hirers we have never navigated at night......come pretty close on a couple of occasions when we've left it a bit late trying to find a mooring though.

Grace

Hi Grace,

We tend not to even though we have navigation lights and like yourself have had to moor up at dusk. The worst time was at St Olaves where we edged under the bridge with less than two inches to spare.

Tan normally in the cabin for bridges had to hold the spot light for me, we moored at the pub.

The trip boats are great but can be pain if you have moored up for the night and they come past you.

Regards

Alan

Talk about coincidences, that exact same thing happened to us on Clear Gem one year, although we had enough clearance it was getting very close to being almost dark and we moored at the pub out of desperation as we never normally moor at pubs for the night. I am not sure but is it the The Bell Inn? knowing me probably a completely different place all together lol

I did wonder if syndicate boats could nav at night and not have the same rules as hirers.

Tell Tan she is not alone for hiding in the cabin going under bridges

Grace

Hi Grace,

Yes it is the Bell Inn, quite an old pub with some very interesting brick work, one of our Canal Holiday Group is a manager of a clerk of works practice and all the men in our group are all practical and are interested in the architecture of bridges, tunnels and buildings. 

Mooring at the Bell can be a bit hairy because of the current through the bridge both for mooring and departure. The same can be said of the Ferry Inn at Stokesby.

You should have been ok to get through St Olaves bridge at anytime on Clear Gem which I estimate has an air draft of around 7 foot or less. We have to plan carefully to get Ranworth Breeze through bridges; it has an air draft of 9 foot 8 inches with the canopy and masthead down.

Here is a list of all of the bridges on the Broads for reference.

Regards

Alan

Regards

Alan

Bridge heights.doc

• Like 1

Last summer we left Beccles at about 4pm, the sun started to set at about Reedham and by Cantley we was sitting on the flybridge watching an amazing sun setting over the fens. It was really magical and personally I think everyone should experience that, It's also really nice to know that you can do some good distance without the restriction of the pesky night)  Hope you manage to get your boat up there Gracie ;)

Saying that though because there's no navaids (Bouys/lights) on the broads rivers they are pitch black and its hard work to navigate. We done a bit on the tidal medway here with Jessica and its much easier as there's always a channel marker or light somewhere.  

• Like 1