Another thunder storm tonight on the Broads

We had a thunder storm around 3.00 to 4.00am this morning whilst moored at Loddon, but have had very good sunny weather for most of today.

It started thundering again this evening around 10.00 to 10.30pm at Brundall. We had a perfect sunset earlier this evening, lets hope for more good weather tomorrow.

Still trying to catch up on emails and the forum when we can get an internet connection, no problems in the marina, but poor at most other places on the river.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed in a thunderstorm last week, the waterproofs held out well, and recent work with the Sikaflex proved effective too. :)

The previous night, we were out on Black Horse Broad with the thunder storms rolling round and round. Normally I enjoy them, but we were the tallest thing out in the middle of the broad, which made me reflect.... :)

We saw a sailboat struck by lightning a few years ago. Dramatic, but the only casualties were the boat's electrics. People on board were fine.

I wondered if fitting a conductive strip from chainplates to the water might be a good idea, but Phill did some research and it seemed to indicate that the chance of a strike would be increased thereby. Brilliant has a wooden mast, not aluminium, so we will leave well alone. :)

Firstly I would think that a wet yacht would act as a "Farraday's cage" ( I think that's the chappie) so you would be safe under cover. Also I'd have thought that if being in a sailing boat was dangerous in thunder storms, it might have been mentioned before.

But, if you're still worried, find a yacht that has been struck, and take his moorings... after all... Lightening never strikes twice :)

Oh!, Oh!, Something I can answer _ a farraday's cage is a room that is protected from all and any outside signals and radio waves and is used for calibrating instrumentaion. As far as the lightening is concerned, a strip of copper from the mast to the water is as much good as a chocolate tea pot. A direct lightening hit will go where it want's to go and @ 1,000,000 plus volts, will go through almost anything. A wooden mast is as good as you will get on a normal boat.

• Like 1