The Haven Bridge in Great Yarmouth

Guest plesbit

Strange setup this. You have two bridges, a low bridge and a high bridge. The low bridge will require to be opened for just about everything at high water and most things at low water. The high bridge really only needs to be opened occasionally for really tall stuff - except of course that the same tall stuff will require the low bridge to be opened as well.

So why have a dedicated wee man in the high bridge which seldom needs to opened and no dedicated wee man in the low bridge which would need to open far more often? Seems they've got the team based on the wrong bridge. I am sure it must also be possible to set up a system whereby the Breydon Bridge can actually be opened by a team based at the Haven Bridge (bet that's how the Dutch would do it). The current arrangement seems a little cock-eyed.

Just my thoughts.... feel free to add your own. :-D

Think it may be down to the safety aspect that a team needs to be present on each bridge so that visual checks can be done to ensure no one is on the bridge when it is opened.

Would think it was possible to check Haven from the comand post of Breydon though so maybe someone just needs to extend the operating wires a bit.

As you say not much point in having Breydon and not Haven manned, unless they think that the boats are going to come over Breydon and turn left. :o

The safety aspect had occurred to me - what's wrong with CCTV for that though?

it keeps people employed unlike people like me who are bloody unemployable well from what the job centre tell me :-D

it keeps people employed unlike people like me who are bloody unemployable well from what the job centre tell me :-D

That's nice of them! :(

I was only thinking that it would save them having to add an additional team on the other bridge - I am sure one team could operate both bridges from the same location with the aid of some CCTV to ascertain that there are no cars on the bridge (as per Ian's comment).

I was only thinking that it would save them having to add an additional team on the other bridge - I am sure one team could operate both bridges from the same location with the aid of some CCTV to ascertain that there are no cars on the bridge (as per Ian's comment).

mind you Simon it could work would make life a lot easyer

I was only thinking that it would save them having to add an additional team on the other bridge - I am sure one team could operate both bridges from the same location with the aid of some CCTV to ascertain that there are no cars on the bridge.

The problem with relying on CCTV is that cameras screens only show the 'smaller picture' ie where the camera is actually pointing, as opposed to the 'bigger picture' which a human can do.

A camera covering the bridge wouldn't see some idiot outside the camera view, who decides to try and jump the red lights (no, do people actually do that...?!!) and race across the bridge as it's about to open.

Don't know how the Dutch do it, but maybe they're not bound by the old 'elf'n'safety like we are...!