Frack off

finny

We all want power, we rush from one mooring to another, plugging in as soon as we get there. Quite simply we can't have it both ways. From a Broads perspective I have long thought that the carbon emissions of a boat should reflect in its tolls.  If we use power then it has to be replaced, plain & simple.

But surely they do, Peter. A yacht, even with an inboard engine, is substantially cheaper than a power boat of the same size.....

Renewable energy now contributes 10% of all UK power usage (mostly wind farm)

A new method for large scale storage of electricity has been found due to investment and will hopefully be available in the near future.

Wind turbines can already be used to store power for periods of peak demand, use the surplus energy from wind turbines to pump water into hydro-electric reservoirs to be used when the wind drops. Remember energy is constant and will never actually be used but just converted into a different form.

As for hydraulic fracturing (or fracking) I know very little of how it works, I do know that the earths crust is very thin in places (non-existent in several under water areas and a part of Canada) and that the upper mantle (just below the crust) is where a lot of the seismic activity takes place. Whether fracking could cause damage to the crust and result in more seismic events on the surface I don't know.

I have been following this topic with interest. We all have our own idea's what is best or worst.

Here is a link to a site that shows most of the forms of getting energy and their pros and cons:-

http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/04/combined-heat-power-pros-cons/

My personal thoughts that more should be done with Hydro electric plants like the two in Scotland and the one in Wales.

More could be done with tidal or wave power.
River and canal bywashes and weirs could generate a  good energy flow with wasted energy.

The debate I will leave with you all.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Interesting thread and I am glad to see the lid is staying on. Noting one of John's posts, perhaps this of interest.  It is only one person's opinion though.

https://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/fracking-fracing-or-fraccing

As for me I am six and two threes, I live about 3 miles as the crow flies from a fracking site and nobody I know noticed a tremor.

I think another consideration is the chemicals being used, some pretty nasty ones I believe.

Keith :)

But surely they do, Peter. A yacht, even with an inboard engine, is substantially cheaper than a power boat of the same size.....

True, but if I were to buy a Range-Rover, for example, then I would fully expect to pay a greater road-fund than I do for my humble Dacia, only £30.00 per year! In other words road fund tax is set to encourage 'greener' cars, I can foresee the same applying to boats.

We may not like the use of price as a control/deterrent but it is a fact of life. I think it would be grossly unfair to apply such a charge retrospectively but the 'green' excuse to push charges up is not unknown. My own view is that we have to restrict excessive use of carbon fuels, however it's used, but that is simply a personal opinion.  

Our energy use appears to be falling due to energy saving measures, I have finally fitted low energy lighting at home as the quality of the light is now much better. I have seen a fall in my energy bills.

I suspect that when coal mining started in earnest, muttering about the world collapsing were heard. Extraction of oil and gas has not, in general, caused pollution except from spillage.

The answer is, who wants to go without heating and power to avoid fracking being necessary.

If we want modern luxury, we have to have power and whatever scheme is put forward, some group will object.

Nuclear power, in tandem with all the other sources being used will at least reduce our reliance on the whims of crazy Ivan .

We are privileged in that our boating takes place on the Broads, an area with numerous wildlife and environmental accolades to its credit. I suspect that will save us from the threat of fracking, but on the other hand those various accolades might also inflict  unwelcome conservation burdens upon us, and I don't expect that we shall have much choice in the matter. 

Have you ever tried cracking an egg and been able to control when and where it splits. :dance

Have you ever watched an egg being hatched? The chick within the egg will control the initial break-out by uncannily cutting an accurate circle around the end of the egg, 'tis why their beaks are shaped as they are. Absolutely fascinating to watch. If a baby chick can do it then so can a brainy human! We do it with the tap of a knife!

P.S. Like you I am suspicious, sceptical might be a better word.

• Like 1

not decided one way or the other yet....

But, just think.....

The Broads, created by man digging for fuel (peat) then it flooded creating this beautiful place...

What would happen if fracking (man digging for fuel, so to speak) opened up a new subterainian boating holiday destination of underground rivers and lakes.

A bit like the cave (can't think of its name) near the blue john mines....

:Stinky

Have you ever watched an egg being hatched? The chick within the egg will control the initial break-out by uncannily cutting an accurate circle around the end of the egg, 'tis why their beaks are shaped as they are. Absolutely fascinating to watch. If a baby chick can do it then so can a brainy human! We do it with the tap of a knife!

P.S. Like you I am suspicious, sceptical might be a better word.

So following your logic Peter,

If a chicken can lay an egg, so can a brainy human.  two guns  two guns

Hang on guys...I think I've just cured this alternative energy conundrum. having consumed a few glasses of the vino collapso last night I awoke this morning a little fuzzy headed and unable to find my spectacles. So you can appreciate the ease with which I made the mistake when I accidentally brushed my teeth with Immac hair removal cream instead of toothpaste.

As things stand at the moment anyone pointing a solar panel at my cakehole is liable to suffer an overload due to the brightness. Whilst walking the dogs I noticed that my teeth can cut wind! The noise decibels when I whistled the dogs could shatter glass and I'm sure the water in the Trent was significantly agitated enough to power a turbine!

• Like 2

Germany have a major problem with solar power, they have too much and it overloads the grid. They have to give it away to France and Poland to avoid an overload. This is the problem with these types of generation, a lack of ability to store excess.

The minerals and energy needed to produce solar panels is frightening, but it's ok because most come from China.

Wind farms require huge amounts of steel and energy to make and are fickle about wind levels required to operate.

We don't want nuclear power because of perceived dangers from them, look along the coast of Calais and see how many we already have on our door step.

Basically we want and need power but we don't want OUR country spoilt so we are happy to import power and generation from abroad and let them have the damage. This is fine as long as we don't upset any of our power suppliers and let them March into any country they want to.

There are no easy answers but we have to be realistic.

Bobdog - I think if you check that photo has long been discredited!!! Yet it continues to be dragged out time and time again as a regular consequence of fracking. Given the American blame culture, the sink owners have probably received enough compensation to move to a desert island!!