An injured woman was taken to hospital this morning after falling off of a boat whilst mooring.

According to that report, it was the HEMSBY marine rescue that came out to the incident, i don`t understand why this could`nt have been dealt with by local emergency services, unless Hemsby marine rescue is the only one in Norfolk of course?.

This brings back memories of the late 90s when my brother and his family and me were moored at Salhouse broad when a boat reversed into the quay and the woman holding the roap fell off the stern breaking her arm. That day, the ambulance crew had to walk her round the rough track in a chair, as there was no air ambulance. Now there is an air ambulance, so why did the rescue service have to come from as far away as Hemsby? 

A bit strange?.

Hello Alan, yes I saw that story also. Moorings at some locations can be very hard and dangerous. I on more than one occasion had a hard moorings. One was at Bramerton the green, where it had been raining all morning and with that the grass had been cut + dogs mess and ducks mess, the wooden edge was very wet. I got off the boat to moor up all was good and then my feet went from under me. My finger tips were holding on to the side of the boat and my feet holding on to the bank and me looking down at the water and shouting for help. Ian ( hubby ) got a arm under me and got me back on the bank, with others helping him to moor up. It took me some time to go back and moor at Bramerton.

So yes we all must be careful when mooring up.

Regards

Marina   :Stinky  

• Like 1

Hi Marina,

The best approach when mooring is to just step off of the boat with the rope, never jump and be extra careful in wet weather,.

Wooden mooring when wet can be treacherous unless they have chicken wire on the top (good for keeping your feet but not very good if you do slip).

I had a similar experience to you, but in my case it was on the Trent & Mersey Canal at Stenson Lock, we were late getting back to the boatyard (it was the year when most of the piers were damaged in the mid to late 70's) high winds were hampering out progress and pushing us into the banks that we had great trouble getting away from, I broke the barge pole in half in one attempt. In the end I had to reverse back to a bridge and then keep almost full power on the engine until we managed to get back into sheltered areas.

Back to the lock, it was now dust and the boatyard was just past the top of the lock, someone had moored at the top of the lock, I had to go over the back of their boat and get onto ours, I had one leg over a rail on the moored boat and the other leg over a rail on ours when the boats drifted apart, I was in danger of doing the splits, so I let go with both of my legs and was hung by my hands on the side rails of our hire boat, with my lower legs in the water.

We moored up in the marina and both got dried, posted the boats keys through the letter box with a sorry note re the late arrival and the broken pole. We then headed home. We later found out that a number of their boats had not returned until the following day.

Regards

Alan

When we first hired a boat I was 7 and my Sister was nearly 11. My father would aim at the bank as we came near to the lock and we would leap off. One of us with the lock key. The other with the sausage dog under their arm and he was a std size. The gap seemed quite big at the time and we never wore life jackets, I am not sure they were provided then (long long time ago).

Oh how times have changed. I give my other half the daily lecture about stepping off not jumping and wearing life jacket for mooring. I would not go back to the old days on this one though. Better to be safe than sorry.....thoughts are with the lady and her family.

According to that report, it was the HEMSBY marine rescue that came out to the incident, i don`t understand why this could`nt have been dealt with by local emergency services, unless Hemsby marine rescue is the only one in Norfolk of course?.

This brings back memories of the late 90s when my brother and his family and me were moored at Salhouse broad when a boat reversed into the quay and the woman holding the roap fell off the stern breaking her arm. That day, the ambulance crew had to walk her round the rough track in a chair, as there was no air ambulance. Now there is an air ambulance, so why did the rescue service have to come from as far away as Hemsby? 

A bit strange?.

Going by just the information available so far, according to the linked EDP article, the accident occurred at a  "mooring between Wroxham and Salhouse broads".  The map showed it as being one of the moorings with no landward access, unlike Salhouse Broad itself.

The rivers and broads present the emergency services with some very awkward scenarios regarding fast access. So many areas have no landward access at all, and very few places where a helicopter can safely land. 

If the accident was indeed where it is shown on the map, then a fast RIB launched nearby would indeed be the quickest way to transport a potentially seriously injured casualty.

It could be very efficient usage of existing resources, Hemsby being about 30 minutes away by road.

There is one thing I ensure when mooring up, is, that I can step off the boat and not to jump off. I am just under 5ft. Of course when the tide is either in on full or out on full I am unable to moor by my self and that is when I will ask for a helping hand off someone or anyone. People on the broads will always help each other and that is what is so special on the broads.

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 2

Marina, I know exactly how you feel.  I have been known to sit down on the side deck in order to avoid having to jump  - all very well if things go to plan and I can just slide off on to the mooring - not so good when you are left hanging onto the roof rail whilst the boat drifts out into midstream as happened on one never to be forgotten occasion at WRC.