Could Richardson's get any better

Iain, who and where were Alan Johnson fleet based, please?

Marina   :Stinky

Hi Marina, first my apologies for not replying, don't know how I missed your post.

Alan was a real gent and his dear wife a lovely lady who would not let you on board any of their boats, till she was satisfied it had been cleaned properly.

Several times after he retired and lived in the Brundall area I believe, I kept missing him by minutes when we were moored up at the shop, with the tree through the roof, by the river. I met a relation of his, who I think lived next door to that shop, but could be wrong on that.

I don't think he wanted to retire, but SWMBO had other ideas I think. He taught me a lot of good basic helmsmanship, which I still try to use when we are down on holiday. He sadly passed away quite a few years ago now.

cheers Iain.

Ah yes I remember in the 80s and early 90s that was quite a busy yard. All the boat names were ladies names beginning sh e.g. Shannelle. They used both Hoseasons and Blakes at different time. When they stopped Herbert Woods took over the site briefly about 1998 but it didn't last for some reason. The site looks a bit sorry for itself now and I always think of Alan Johnson boats when I pass there.

To add to that, the family who ran Wing Line Cruisers at Brundall, leased the boats from someone, I forget who but have a feeling that Mark Funnell was involved? They then were moved up to Stalham I think, as one of the Star Gems Z300 is still in the fleet, also San Marino which I think was called Sheba then.

cheers Iain.

Broadscot the san marino was from ferry boatyard at horning she was called ferry oceaneer before she became the san marinos.i should know i use to go with ferry boatyard i had the commandeers 1&2,pioneers 1&2 and the oceaneers 1&2

The commandeers are at herbert woods

oceaneers at richardsons

pioneers were at richardsons now been sold to private buyers

I had that many of AJs boats, even I am getting confused lol One of the Shallon's is Z300 at Richos, Sheba my mistake yes 39 Carribean but not the database colour, I had the 32 Alpha with the Island bed and raised canopy and was sure it went to Richos also, I have a feeling it became Sheba, after he sold the original one. I will need to delve into all my photo albums soon. Another one he had was the Bounty 37 Sharon it was blue in colour. Also another called Shackleton. I think it was a Belaugh fit out but not 100% sure. Sharmaine was a Elysian centre cockpit like the ones that were at Southgates Horning in the 70's. He also had a couple of the Hamptons without the sliding roof, from brand new. Shona also a Alpha 32 4/6berth.

cheers Iain.

• 4 weeks later...

Richardsons are a great yard. Hire with them every year, often twice a year, never been disappointed. The wide choice of boats is second to none and the prices are very good. And as already mentioned they're a large busy yard but still deliver the personal touch.

• Like 6

Could Richo's get any better??

August this year early one morning, and it was early, at around 0630 we got woken with a bang/crash as 'B.A' shuddered from an impact on the Stbd bow.  I shot outside camera in hand in just my shreddies (Not a pretty site) we were berthed outside the Bridge Inn at Acle, there was a Richo's bathtub just leaving coming about and heading downstream towards GYA, The helm of said bathtub did a fine job of ignoring my verbal and visual attempts for him to stop. They had reversed into 'B.A' on their departure.  The damage was cosmetic but plain to see and somewhat unsightly

To cut a long story short the Broads Authority were very good, they later that day apprehended the crew of the bathtub and kept me informed.

Richo's - 'B.A' was back in her mooring by Monday teatime.  By Thursday of the same week, the staff at Richo's had done a repair with no questions or hassle at all and kept me informed.

Following weekend I viewed the repair - this was the only issue - I couldn't see any evidence of a repair - a Perfect job had been done

So could Richo's get any better?  Well no business is perfect and none should rest on their laurels, but for me this incident was dealt with professionally and quickly so they just could not have done any better at all!

Well done Richo's from me (And 'B.A') and Thank You

Griff

• Like 9

I've thought of a way Richardson's could improve. They could show boat dimensions on their website. Length, width, beam and headroom etc etc. This info comes in very handy in my opinion.

just a small thing, but this info always used to be available.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick call to the yard enquiring if the estimated takeover time on the letter could be improved upon would have avoided such unpleasantness for the reception personnel. The fault lies with the mouthy and unpleasant customer not the yard. What a berk.

People really should think ahead more and be responsible for their own mistakes rather than ranting and blaming the blameless IMHO. :mad:

Who'd be customer-facing? Not me that's for sure...insufficient patience and an unwillingness to suffer fools...gladly or otherwise. :)

• Like 1

When ever we are hiring (mostly canals these days) we always arrive early, in the oft chance that the boat will be ready, everyone wants to get off on the river or down the canal asap.

It tends to take some time to stow our gear being as there is 6 of us, we need a wardrobe for the tablets alone. :naughty:

If the boat is not ready we get some lunch or do some people watching until they are ready for us so we can do the walk through.

These days everyone has a policy for late access times ranging from 2.00pm to 4.00pm be it a cottage, boats etc.

Surely it is better to let people gain access when ready rather than sticking to a time, with boats it is better if people doing the hand overs can stagger their work rather than be rushed off of their feet.

Lets face it we have to hand them back over on the dot usually early in the morning.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Agreed, last year in September, all the hirers were stuck outside Silverlines yard till 2pm on the dot. It was like a cavelry charge when they removed the barrier. Each yard to their own I guess.

Where as, we turned up at HW just before mid day, and the boat was ready, I did know by looking at their booking chart online, that it had not been out the week before.

cheers Iain.