Brooms Captain

After a bit of prompting I have decided to share my restoration project. After many years of owning sailing boats both on the broads and in Corfu we decided we would like a bit more comfort.

We were lucky enough to be offered a 1958 Broom Captain which was in need of a bit of TLC, the boat was floating but taking on quite a lot of water mainly due to poorly repaired planks under the waterline. After having the engine removed we had the boat lifted out so we could see the extent of what lie ahead.

Boy were we in for a shock, the planks had been fitted using bathroom sealant which had given way. Work started in earnest stripping the paint from the port side, the planking is Mahogany which looked ok until the paint was removed revealing a lot of rot and brittle areas so we set about replanking around 70% of the port side.

Brundall Navy.

post-29928-0-88663900-1407666837_thumb.jpost-29928-0-90625100-1407666896_thumb.jpost-29928-0-26139100-1407666945_thumb.jpost-29928-0-21998500-1407667094_thumb.j

Edited by ranworthbreeze
Title edit requested
  • Like 6

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

It looks like it is a labour of love, are you doing the work or is it being done for you?

I hope you have deep pockets, hardwood is hardly cheap and is still sold by the square inch or was the last time I bought some.

Please keep us updated on your on your progress.

Regards

Alan

Wow, looking forward to this, I imagine she will look beautiful when restored. I have been following Alan's (JawsOrca) project, although I know nothing of restoring boats I do really enjoy reading about them. Have learned a lot more about boats from following Jaw's thread though and have advised him on interior colours like pink cushions and fenders, strange but he took no notice of me lol

Good luck with it, really love your avatar piccie by the way

Grace

• Like 2

Many thanks for the kind replies, Alan no I don't have deep pockets which as Polly has said I am doing the work myself.

One of the main problems she was letting in so much water is the chine rail has completely gone on the port side. This was to be replaced in oak, after much discussion about the best way to make it do it in one solid piece or laminated we went for a solid piece mainly due it's shape.

An 8ft long piece of oak 3"x3" was cut to shape and placed in a steam box for around an hour, a former was made to the shape of the hull and once it was cooked it was clamped in place and allowed to cool down..

Before it was to be fitted we decided to check the floor bearers as it would be almost impossible to renew them without access through the area of the chine rail. This did not bode well as rot was found in almost all the floor bearers and ribs.

Brundall Navy

.post-29928-0-06349100-1407686716_thumb.jpost-29928-0-49847700-1407686737_thumb.jpost-29928-0-15982000-1407686763_thumb.j

post-568-0-64616000-1407826859.jpg

• Like 2

Pauline. "Oh yes" The work on PL was mainly planking the Broom is turning into quite a project I'm half afraid to look too close in case I find some more rot. After much sucking of teeth we have decided to replace all the badly affected areas now that we have good access. This has put us back by around 6 months at least but better to do it now and not worry about pulling it apart again in a couple of years time.

Grace, the avatar is of our two Bichon's the oldest being 6 years and the pup is 7 months. Both have taken to boating very well.

Brundall Navy.

Geez Mr B Navy... you are sir a nutter!  

But thank you for restoring her! We would love to gave the ability to do a woody although our last boat was half timber and that was hard enough! However its brilliant to see woodies being restored and I look forward to watching your progress.. (it makes our little project look like a walk in the park!). She will be something special when you finish.

Good luck  cheersbar

After finding the ends of the exposed ribs were in poor condition we decided that the engine tray and water tanks had to come out. The engine tray is around 6 ft long and screwed to the engine bearers on both sides. After much levering with a screwdriver it finally came out. Underneath the tray lay years of mud and an oily scum about 3 inches deep.

When it was finally cleaned up we could see what the damage was, almost every rib and frame had seen better days so would need to be replaced, after the water tank was removed the support bearer was very loose and didn't take much to remove it. It too was very rot tern and again would need replacing.

The replacement ribs were planned up to size and fitted quite easy, the frames were a little bit harder to fit as they pass under two bearers but did fit eventually

While poking around in the engine bay the main engine bearer was soft in places and would need closer inspection, this is not something I wanted to replace if possible ( see the pic with the screw driver ) oh dear how wrong was I !!!.

post-29928-0-10526300-1407784215_thumb.jpost-29928-0-97751400-1407784411_thumb.jpost-29928-0-69879500-1407784437_thumb.jpost-29928-0-23080400-1407784466_thumb.j

• Like 4

Hello Doug,

Thank you for sharing your woes. I guess you want to know the extent of all of the rot but are fearful of finding out.

What is the condition of the hog?

Are you going to cut out the rot in the frames and treat the good wood, reinforce with replacement sections or are you going to replace completely?

Please keep us all updated on your progress.

I wish you well, its is a labour of love but it will be worth it when completed.

Regards

Alan

For me there is just something about seeing a well turned out Woodie cutting gently through the river - its almost Aristocratic.....good luck with her restoration I no doubt like many others will be watching and wishing you well

Finny

• Like 1

After finding the port engine bearer suffering from a few soft places I decided a more closer inspection was required. This involved removing the shower tray not a difficult job in itself but this is a Broom.. All the screws fixing it down were rusted and refused to come out, no problem just pull a bit harder and take half the structure with it.

Every part of the shower room has rot to varying degrees, all the ribs and frames will need replacing as well as repairs to both the fwd and aft bulkheads. Once the area was cleared the full extent of the engine bearer problems were clearly seen, the bearer was made of soft wood to my surprise and was hollow inside but bearing in mind it's over 50 years old and has spent most of its time wet from shower water hasn't done to bad.

The new bearer was to be made from oak, the bearer is over 4m long and the aft end was in good condition so a decision on where to join it was made to take advantage of the bolts that go through the hull. The bolts are made from copper but the nuts had long since corroded away so the bearer was not actually secured properly. A half lap joint was cut across one of the bolts and the new bearer cut to shape and a trial fit carried out. I will fit this permanently once all the frames are in. The new bolts are going to be stainless steel coach bolts with threaded bar used were it does not pass through the hull.

All this talk from Alan about nice shiny things for the inside got me thinking about the water system, the old tanks are passed their best so SWMBO has declared it must all be replaced. Two new stainless tanks have been ordered from a company in Northampton along with a surecal calorifier and water pump. I will report on the tanks once I receive them.

Doug

.post-29928-0-11447900-1408383050_thumb.jpost-29928-0-01432200-1408383097_thumb.jpost-29928-0-18516600-1408383111_thumb.jpost-29928-0-38970800-1408383123_thumb.jpost-29928-0-11900000-1408383398_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi Doug,

Do you think that the water tanks have contributed to the rot on the boat?

Looking at your pictures is there some rot on a couple of the bottom boards? or am I looking at the wrong area. I love the new bearer, I like working with hardwood as long as the tools are very sharp. I tend to spend more time sharpening my tools these days rather than working with them.

What are the bulkhead made from, are they hardwood or softwood?

Please keep the pictures flowing as you proceed with your restoration.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

The water tanks are in the engine bay and the stb one is the one with a hole, I don't think it has contributed to the rot but cannot be certain. Yes the bottom of the hull in the area under the shower also needs replacing, someone has done a temp repair using epoxy in the past but I think around 5 planks will be replaced this will also remove some of the short ones and nemerous but pads which I dislike.

The bulkheads are all solid mahogany tounge and grove. The lower parts of the shower will be covered in Formica so will proberly be replaced with ply as it won't be seen from either side. The rest be be re- varnished.

Doug.

• Like 3

Hi Doug,

How did I miss this thread, duh. Anyway, may I wish you every success in all you do to that lovely cruiser, and in time, I am positive it will be a soooperdooper Broom again.

Nothing nicer than a Brooms Captain or Admiral going sedately up through Horning with the sun shining on all that lovely wood varnish etc. :)

cheers Iain.

Hi Hun. So proud of all the hard work you are putting in to our new venture. SWMBO bows down to you and your never failing inspiration and belief. Just keep thinking of the pleasure and comfort and fun times ahead when we can use "No Name" at last. Luv you Hun. Hxx SWMBO (always in awe)

• Like 4

bows down to you and your never failing inspiration and belief. 

Could I just second this praise of the brundallNavy?

You see, there I was... pondering the damage to Royal Tudor and wondering if I could ever put her back to rights...if I'm really honest I was close to bawling & at my lowest ebb...when there was a knock at the stern door. There was Doug, popped in to see how I was doing. So on with the kettle and over a coffee he delivers sage advice, support and a whacking dose of confidence and practical help...just when it was needed most and in such a quiet and unassuming way. 

You see I've always known The Broads to be a special place...but what really makes it special are the people...people like Doug!

• Like 3

Despite the awful weather I managed to get some more done to the Broom over the weekend.
My main objective was to get the port engine bearer back in, .before this could happen I had to fit the two new frames that run across from one side of the boat to the other. These are made from 2" square oak and were well past their best. The forward one had been cut off each side of the engine bearer and the side pieces replaced at some time in the past, this left a weak spot in the centre, the aft one had been repaired with fibreglass and once this was removed all that was left was lots of mush.

The frames will not bend round the shape of the hull without some assistance so into the steam box for approx 1.5 hrs just to be sure. Once removed they cool very quickly so you must work fast. The aft one was first to be bent into place using props wedged from the roof to get a snug fit, the forward one was slightly more difficult as the chine rail is still in place so the frame had to be cut to length in situ. The forward one was bolted through the hog to get a good fit. Small wedges were then made to fill the void across the garboard plank.

The engine bearer was then lifted into place for one last trial fit before being removed and glue and sealant being placed on the relevant surfaces before being refitted and bolted down with stainless coach bolts.

post-568-0-26017900-1408983709_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What a lovely first post, SWMBO. Welcome aboard from us.  :clap May we know your name, please? :wave[/quote

Hi Thanks for the welcome. My name is Helene. I am very new to all this so please bear with me. I am Dougs other half, althought I live in Oxfordshire, so we're often miles apart. My love for the Norfolk Broads has deepened considerably. Having spent the last five years sailing the boards on Perfect Lady 9. What better way to see and learn so much. Now I watch helplessly by, as D rebuilds the Broom from the bottom up. Once the heavy works have been done, I hope I can give as much help as is needed to bring her back to the beautiful boat I know she will become. I smile reading everyone's kind comments made to D. Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. Hxx (SWMBO)

• Like 7