Brooms Captain

I was hoping to crack on with the starboard engine bearer, but my supplier didn't have any thing long enough so it was on to plan B.. The the bottom of the hull on the port side was all a bit of a mess so I set about sorting it out. The first two planks are ok so just the next seven to replace.

The third one went in ok as the forward end was ok so a scarf was cut around 8 feet from the front. The next one has the most shape, starting off at just over 5" wide at the aft end and 7" at the front it starts of vertical and ends up horizontal. This plank had to have two gtoes in the steam box the first to get some basic shape the second to get the final fit and at nearly 4m long it was quite a job. The 5th plank has a fair bit of shape but went in with only one go in the steam box. The rest are quite straight forward as they are nearly parallel.

Work has also been progressing on the engine. I came across a problem with the raw water pump drive but Jon at Wayford managed to sort it out.

Spent today transferring my half decker to another trailer in preparation for its trip down to Oulton Broad. I have admitted defeat and it's going to the international boat building centre as a project for the trainees, it's not like I dont have enough to do !!!.

Also managed to progress the work on another classic woody, but cannot say too much as the owner doesn't know

• Like 2

You guessed...its daft question time...

On that last photo Doug...is there more timber to go between those planks or will they close just with caulk and moisture swelling the boards? Is the half decker coming back when its finished or have you gone and bought another yacht?

Hi Tim,

No it's the angle the photo is taken from the gap is less than 2mm but will have calking cotton and sikaflex so hopefully it won't leak.

The half decker will hopefully return but it could take a couple of years as it depends on what courses they run. I do have plans for a 9ft tender to carry on with should I run out of things to do

Doug.

Hi Tim,

No it's the angle the photo is taken from the gap is less than 2mm but will have calking cotton and sikaflex so hopefully it won't leak.

The half decker will hopefully return but it could take a couple of years as it depends on what courses they run. I do have plans for a 9ft tender to carry on with should I run out of things to do

Doug.

'Run out of things to do'? You do know that as a true friend I would never see you run out of things to do or mugs of coffee?

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy weekend, managed to get most of the port side floor replanted. Just the chine plank to fit which along with the next one inboard will run from the front of the boat to the stern. The existing planks from the engine bay back are not too bad but the edges are a bit soft and the sikaflex just won't stick so replace it is.

One the chine plank is fitted I can fit the new chine rail at the forward end and trim up the planks to suit.

Doug.

post-29928-0-25853700-1417547113_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

err doug got this for yuo .......................

when she was a first sight in my eyes .......................

good job we got her ..............

always looking for more 

a broom in my case is to sit on land and watch not for sweeping ..............!!!!!

yer doing a grand job ...............well dunn ole boy

post-24077-0-23290100-1420126195_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things have got off to a slow start this year, very windy at the yard today and lots of boats have lost there covers or tarpaulins . Didn't fancy undoing my cover today in case I could not get it back on so spent most of the day machining up bit for the boat.

I was a bit apprehensive about using the circular saw as we managed to burn out the motor on one before Christmas but we took it slow and it was ok. Managed to make up about 8 ribs 2 frames and a new section of chine rail. The sawdust came in very handy as Jon launched a classic woodiy this morning that had been out of the water for about 3 years.

Hope the weather is better tomorrow and I can progress work on the boat.

Doug

post-29928-0-52971700-1420919427_thumb.jpost-29928-0-98513600-1420919410_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Tim sorry but will miss you again, RT canopy is looking good though.

Doh! And there was me ready to come and give you a hand on your boat for a change! Now here's a thought...just a thought...couldn't you fit torpedo tubes in that hole at the front...or an escape hatch for a midget submarine? Notice I am now googling what parts are stems and aprons!  :naughty:

best to do it,

due to needing my boat in a hurry one year after a shed load of work, I dug a pile of compost out of mine one year and filled it with west, blocks of oak and very long screws..

It did two years BUT  I was never relaxed, the thought of the whole thing letting go made Breydon crossings slightly unnerving!