Mooring at Thorpe Green

webntweb

Thanks for the reply. I realise where you are now, and that I don't know you. I visit the basin occasionally and know one or two people there but obviously not you.

This makes it clear what I suspected....that this incident occurred in the basin 500 yards from River Green, and an area containing privately owned boats, a Marina in fact.

In other words Strowager, this is not an example at all of the things that happen on River Green's 24 hour moorings, as seems to be inferred. It's not even a public area, it's a Private Marina. It doesn't excuse what happened there, and I certainly wouldn't do that, but I've never ever seen anything like that happen here on River Green.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

I was basing my comment on Branden's opening statement

"Slightly off topic ...I also moor on the island and had one of the dinghys from the other side of the island chained up to my boat."

The main topic of the original post on this thread was the alleged line of "commuter dinghies" chained along the River Green public visitor moorings, not where those dinghies originated from.

Whether the owners are based on the moorings opposite, or in the private basin a few yards further along is irrelevant surely ?

It does however make the suggested "have a talk with the owners", an even more difficult proposition, if the dinghies could originate from an even wider range of moorings.

I'm not trying to antagonise anyone here, least of all "Liveaboards", I'm just joining in with the discussion of people mooring inconsiderately, especially when it would be so easy with dinghies to take up as little room as possible.

Public mooring areas are at a premium on the Broads at busy times of the year, and they should be available for use as much as possible, hence the fair 24 hour rule. Having to ask existing moored boats to move closer together is wrong, whether it's a "Brundall Gin Palace" or a chained up "Commuter Dinghy".

Yet again you have got it wrong Strowager.

The line of commuter dinghies, as you call them, originate from the boats opposite. Where Branden refers to the basin is accessible by road. Dinghies aren't used to access the boats. So you would never find yourself in the position of trying to contact an owner from there. It's a huge distance away, not 'a few yards' as you put it.

I still don't know who was involved in this incident but it's got nothing whatsoever to do with 'commuter dinghies'.

See how a little misinformation can put a whole different spin on the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The label "Commuter Dinghies" wasn't coined by me Manko, if you read the whole thread.

I'm not trying to "spin" anything either, for or against anyone.

Then why are you trying to suggest that an altercation in a private basin where there is no public mooring between two unidentified boaters has any bearing on a 24 hour mooring half a mile away?

What are you hinting at Marshman?

All the likes of me wish to see is a fair representation of the area when topics arise. The fact that their are liveaboards in the area seems to bring out lots of negative comments and spin, and I don't really understand why.

I am at a loss to understand why any thread on Thorpe and or the surrounding environs always raises "tempers" and encourages the worst in posters.....

As am I Marshman.

In most of my replies I've tried to make it clear that I have nothing against "Liveaboards" , I don't even like the word really, since it smacks of prejudice in itself.

Then why are you trying to suggest that an altercation in a private basin where there is no public mooring between two unidentified boaters has any bearing on a 24 hour mooring half a mile away? ....

Simply because both incidents related to "chained up dinghies" and both at Thorpe, so it seems possible that there may be a connection. Agreed, they could be completely isolated from each other.

I always "play nicely"because logical polite discussion achieves far more mutual understanding than otherwise, and I readily admit that the person that showed so much disrespect for Branden's boat may indeed not be a regular dinghy moorer alongside the Green.

I must confess that when brandenjg made his comment I thought he was talking about the same area as Manko - and I know something of the layout of the island. So, for those who may be trying to place the various references, I thought I'd provide a little map.

post-117-0-95988500-1408353443_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

...... No conspiracy theory, so sorry to disappoint those who thrive on such things.

A simple moderator suffix to Branden's post, (as is the accepted norm), would have saved any comment on the matter.

Editing posts anonymously can be a slippery slope.

Simply because both incidents related to "chained up dinghies" and both at Thorpe, so it seems possible that there may be a connection. Agreed, they could be completely isolated from each other.

You've done it again Strowager. I noticed you used the word 'could' there.

Why can't you accept that the two incidents are completely unrelated. You might as well have tried to connect two incidents in Wroxham and Yarmouth.

• Like 1

I now know the identity of the person with the dinghy involved in the alleged incident a long way away from River Green in a private Marina, and I would imagine we haven't quite heard the full story.

It certainly has nothing to do with River Green, as I've stated before.  I'd suggest politely to Branden that if you have any issue with the person involved I'd discuss it with the owner of the marina rather than give bait to the 'anti brigade' on here, since it has no relevance whatsoever.

Back to the debate, there is only 1 dinghy (to my knowledge) that is regularly chained up on River Green.  The owner is away frequently and I'll guess he does this because of joyriding drunks.  We've nearly all had problems with them down here.  In view of the potential issues - especially with large chunks of the quay heading blocked off by the BA in breach of their contract - I'll see if I can speak to him when he's back and come to an arrangement with him so this doesn't have to be the case.

• Like 2

Agreed - I think it was overlooked in this instance but it's what we try to do in general.

The mods here always aim to be fair and transparent, but sometimes they must intervene.

I completely agree with you there Jonzo, which is why it was such a worrying development in this one instance.

Slightly off topic but it's nice to actually be able to debate on here rather than on the 'other' forum which I feel has lost it's way and is only fit for discussing one's favourite chip shop now.  Long live this forum!  Who decides that the oter one is 'Official' anyway?  It's pompous for sure, but official?

• Like 5

Lol has that chip shop actually been sold yet?

Apparently another forum came first so that got the officialness, although I found NBN one first (Not sure how google managed that one.. perhaps the other one was having hosting problems)....(Plus the NBN burgee looks better!) so this one is my favorite.. (Not to mention that everyone on here appear nice and helpful! - like real people!)

(I actually tried writing this to empathise an impartial view of internet forums - but failed miserably - sorry Mods!)..

• Like 1

I do so hate it when one forum (on whatever subject) criticises another forum. Why does this happen? Jealousy? Spite?

If you don't like how a forum, any forum, works, don't visit it or post on it. That the various forums still exist shows that there are some people who like that particular format and what it has to offer. The forums that don't attract posters disappear. There are a couple nearby I can think of.

Being asked not to go down the 'anti-liveaboard' route, then blatantly criticising another forum, out-of-the-blue, smacks of hypocrisy to me.

I just don't like it.

I do so hate it when one forum (on whatever subject) criticises another forum. Why does this happen? Jealousy? Spite?

If you don't like how a forum, any forum, works, don't visit it or post on it. That the various forums still exist shows that there are some people who like that particular format and what it has to offer. The forums that don't attract posters disappear. There are a couple nearby I can think of.

Being asked not to go down the 'anti-liveaboard' route, then blatantly criticising another forum, out-of-the-blue, smacks of hypocrisy to me.

I just don't like it.

You are right I got a bit carried away!  :naughty:

I actually belong to other forums (not boating related) on which such posts are moderated. I have no problem with other forums being mentioned as in 'I saw this posted on XYZ forum' and a link to the post. I find that sort of constructive posting to be very useful, although some forums don't even allow that kind of a mention. Forum-bashing, on the other hand, is simply negative, as is liveaboard-bashing.

• Like 2

......Who decides that the other one is 'Official' anyway?  It's pompous for sure, but official?....

The reason the word "Official" might appear in any web page is because it is embedded in the HTML page code within the "Title" tags.

Web page authors can make whatever they wish to appear in search engine results and the like by including it in their own text composition within the "Title" and "Description" tags.

If you right-click any web page and select "view source", you'll see the tags in the code, usually near the top of the page.