The Kelpies

BroadScot

Hi Geoff,

Before the Wicker Man very near were and still are the two camels in a corner of a field, these were always looked for on our journey down into Devon.

I totally agree with the Kelpies, but have never liked the Angel of the North.

Regards

Alan

Yes I have seen the two camels looking over the fence. Someone put an baby elephant a few fields further up, but after a few years it disappeared. The trouble with the new Wicker Man is, his head is too small in relation to his body, the original one looked much better.  

Hello David,

Have a look on the Kelpies website, here is a link to the video of their construction:-

http://www.thekelpies.co.uk/videos

I watched the last episode of the Canals Journeys this morning (I recorded it last night) I thought it was a fitting end to this series, it reminded us of our time on these canals and the engineering used on them, Tan had forgotten the aqueduct but was enthralled by the Falkirk Wheel.

The boat did fit into the space left at the side of one of the Falkirk Wheel experience boats but only just, once tided to the dock you had to remain in the boat until it completed its travel and you were instructed to leave the gondola.

Regards

Alan

post-568-0-15006800-1428309918_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

A very enjoyable prog last night, of course being a Scot, I had to have a wee laugh at Tim's pronounceation of Falkirk lol. We say it as in the word FALL not Fal.

David, wait a wee while till the new visitor centre is completed. I, as I said earlier on the thread, will be going up there later this year, and I can then see how the work is progressing.

Its just an hours drive for me. to there.

Apart from naff weather at Antonines Wall, the weather was kind to them.

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Polly,

It IS!! lol The camera work was good. It has to be seen in the flesh though so to speek to see its full working principle.

Which reminds me, I must go see how the new Forth Bridge (Queensferry Crossing) is moving onwards and upwards! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 3

Great program and the Kelpies are stunning.

Sadly in Norfolk we have no motorways, very little public spending and no notable sculptures.

Yarmouth/Breydon could do with a truly eye catching sculpture    ..... but what.

Iron men strolling in the mud as per Liverpool way.

Giant sail?

Thanks Alan, I'll take a look at the site. cheers

Iain, I'll keep a look out for information on the visitor centre and take a trip up one day.

I went to watch the construction of the Angel of the North and have a couple of photos somewhere with only one wing attached that I'll scan and upload if i can find them.

David

• Like 2

I agree that the Kelpies are impressive, having seen them on the Canal Journies Programme last night. Some of the "artwork" that is inflicted upon our landscape is difficult to like though. Examples for me include the pile of twisted wreckage planted in the Olympic park and Mr Hirst's pregnant woman wielding a sword at Ilfracombe.

There was a plan to build a 165 ft white horse at Ebbsfleet. Not the rearing "Invicta" horse which is the symbol of Kent but more like a large version of what our daughter used to have for her Barbie to sit on. Fortunately, that was in 2010 and the money ran out just in time to save us. There truly is no accounting for taste.

cheers

Steve

Sadly in Norfolk we have no motorways, very little public spending and no notable sculptures.

Yarmouth/Breydon could do with a truly eye catching sculpture    ..... but what.

If and when Gt Yarmouth has the funds, - finish that darn bridge which is half done.      What we need is a Royal visit , it will be finished then.

Dredge and completely redo the first lot of moorings that have fallen into disrepair.        That is just two things that would attract boaters to stay. I dont fancy mooring near to the bridge but would moor further back if it was all dredged etc.   Dont we in Norfolk qualify for any of this Lottery Money that I duly give to each week with my 'unlucky dip' ticket.

Personally speaking we do not want any motorways.  

Polly,

It IS!! lol The camera work was good. It has to be seen in the flesh though so to speek to see its full working principle.

Which reminds me, I must go see how the new Forth Bridge (Queensferry Crossing) is moving onwards and upwards! :naughty:

cheers Iain

I was stationed in Rosyth when the first road bridge was being built in 1961. We had to use the ferry then, to get across to South Queensfery and in those days, you could na get a drink on a Sunday unless you were classed as a bonafied traveller.  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers Of course every matelot in Scotland was a bonafied traveller on a Sunday, it was just a matter of signing in the book.