Tapas bar

Hi Ian,

Your suggestion has been attempted in several guises there, it would be great to see another good hostlery on the Broads. But, relying totally on passing trade? With our drink driving laws looking to be possibly tightened even more, I cannot see it being a good business project. 

However, I would love to be proved wrong. :)

cheers Iain.

P.S. Can any local worthy tell me please why anyone would put a pub there in the first place? Was the land cheap to build on at that time?

Hello Daddy... (It really is like have your parents on facebook!)...

It was kinda open a few weeks ago and I agree with the other Iain, its really in the wrong place and really needs to be good place to get people there although I think its a bit too big to make money.. So don't even think about it!!

• Like 2

The earliest record of a pub on that site that I've found after a quick search is 1836, so I would think they got a lot of custom from the horse-drawn coaches on their way to and from Great Yarmouth. The railway didn't reach GY until 1844.

More information can be found here.

• Like 2

Hello All, I have looked at the information Paladin had found. It is very interesting. Thanks for the infro. 

We love mooring along by Stracey either on the way from south river or over night when we are heading back down for low water at GY, so some where to have breakfast / lunch / or dinner would be great.  

Does anyone know if Stracey has been sold, as that will be very sad if that closed?

We will be up in two weeks.

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

I think the reason why the Stracey arms has had a chequered recent history is a bit strange. It`s 5 miles out from Gt Yarmouth, with only river and road traffic for its customers. Now think about the Berney arms, it`s roughly the same distance from Yarmouth, but only has the river and very occaisional train for its customers, yet it seems to do reasonably well?. I think the comment somewhere above about making it a "decent venue". We all know on this forum which pubs etc get good or better forumites reviews, so we all use them. That`s because they offer what the public want. So why can`t that be the case for the Stracey arms?.

As for the Tapas bar, i did say if we were looking for an overnight mooring, we`d go in, as i`ve only ever had tapas once (in Norwich 13 years ago) and rather liked it, so if it`s still there and open in late October, i`l try it again.

We went to the tapas bar last year early evening very few people there,not very impressed with the food.I think the future for this pub can work,landscape the grassed area between the pub and the moorings,a good play area for the kids.

Don't  go over the top,just a good pub selling good beers and food.Some pubs offer free soft drinks to car drivers.

I hope someone takes on the pub and i wish them well

• Like 3

Regarding the breakfast ,the shop at the Mill does excellent breakfasts from early and even I believe food later in the day.Sue is very helpfull and one of our "listed moorings" when passing through.We heard the Tapas bar had taken a ten year lease ? so should be around for some time,

Yes they do food breakfast not sure about lunch don't think they do dinner,they are great,but the shop is and has been up for sale for over a year.The tapas bar is on the market .So sooner or later will be sold.

I agree it is a good stopping off moorings,I think it would bee even better if it was a good pub

Ian

Yes they do food breakfast not sure about lunch don't think they do dinner,they are great,but the shop is and has been up for sale for over a year.The tapas bar is on the market .So sooner or later will be sold.

I agree it is a good stopping off moorings,I think it would bee even better if it was a good pub

Ian

The shop was /is indeed up for sale but at £650,000 I think it will take a while to sell, I believe the shop is now responsible for all the moorings now instead of half and half with the Tapas bar.

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, There was never any doubt about the ownership of the moorings just mis-information, just look at the link to Auction House it clearly states the moorings are for sale with the pub. I also have all the Land Registry documents as I was in serious negotiation to buy the place 2 -3 years ago when it was last sold.

Dave ice slice

Peter, There was never any doubt about the ownership of the moorings just mis-information, just look at the link to Auction House it clearly states the moorings are for sale with the pub. I also have all the Land Registry documents as I was in serious negotiation to buy the place 2 -3 years ago when it was last sold.

Dave ice slice

Hi Dave,

That`s very interresting, what were you going to do with it, had you been successful?.

• 2 weeks later...