new boats for 2015

I think a serious proposal to open the waters above the ancient bridge to all vessels could provoke a very unwelcome response from the RSPB, Natural England, NWT, and the National Trust. Best to buy, build and hire boats that can pass under. Just my opinion you understand as the afore-mentioned are over a million strong and have many £millions to fight battles with.

:( I think it will be a sad day if Marthams move towards plastic boats.. I love the business model (and hastern to add that we did hire with them several times before being stupid and getting our own boat) and it's always nice to see their wooden boats on the river.. 

Alan I agree with you and would be very sad to see any of the Martham woodies taken out of service. But if they decide to add new boats to the fleet I can't see how they would be able to afford to construct a woodie from scratch, so a GRP hulled Judith (or Juliette or SJ) with a wooden superstructure strikes me as a good, workable compromise with at least a chance of being financially viable.

Alan I agree with you and would be very sad to see any of the Martham woodies taken out of service. But if they decide to add new boats to the fleet I can't see how they would be able to afford to construct a woodie from scratch, so a GRP hulled Judith (or Juliette or SJ) with a wooden superstructure strikes me as a good, workable compromise with at least a chance of being financially viable.

No of course, it's just a tad sad that the old skills would go.. I think the yards like marthams who keep woodern boats on hire should be given a whole lot of support and respect as they really do keep the past alive.. I completely agree it would interesting to see new fibreglass replicates (with wooden tops at least as you say) Unfortunately I'm not one to comment too much as we no longer hire from them but still the best memories we have of the broads is aboard "Janet". cheers

I was chatting to one of the owners of Martham a few years ago and he told me they were thinking about taking a mould of a Judith hull. It doesn't seem to have happened, but it seemed a fantastic idea to me.

I like that damned bridge just as it is. Leave it alone!!

If it`s that important, why not have it taken apart and re0assembled over a drainage dyke somewhere, to the exact same size and spec?. It would be cheaper to do that than to raise it.

As for the comment about designing, building, and hiring boats that have been specifically designed for the purpose of going under it, correct me if i`m wrong, but is`nt that what companies such as Alpha, Bounty, Aston, Broom, J E Fletcher, Newsons, Marthams, and Richardsons  etc etc etc have been and in some case still are doing?.  I seem to remember reading a post some years ago saying 40-50 years ago, Potter Heigham old road bridge had an AVERAGE clearance of well over 7ft, so the likes of many of the companies i mention above have already built hundreds of boats capable of doing so, the only problem being the subsoil the bridge is built on, and its very design and structural requirements .

We have to remember the bridge was built hundreds of years ago, long before the boats and river traffic, not to mention road traffic of today, and was  designed to cater for wherries pulled or pushed under and horses and carts driven over.

I`m all for conservation, but sometimes conservation HAS to give way for modern day requirements.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

blow all the bridge upp .........................................kaboooom...................!!!!!!

simple..................................

just for fun .................................

put i a simple lock .make  it charge .....................................big boot go through it and small one under the bridge 

money return ..................for cost of new cut ....................simple 

money go to up keep running orf lock robin and patrick still run it  simple 

a simple gate lock ..........new cut i say .................

passge cost 4/6 squid .............................cheap for passage .....................

improve acces to hickling and buisness up thar .....................

only cost about 4.8 million .........................

most of cost on consultation and 150 staff to sit on **** to look and analize it all ......................

i.ll get me coat ................................

make is an eu law to have all boat lifted over the bridges ......that sound about rite ....!!!!!!!

our new boats are on way at last  ....................................opp sbit orf rant and ort topic .....

• Like 3

Personally, i`d like to see Marthams build a new cruiser (or more?) using a GRP hull and timber superstructure. I love the look of that.

Fell in love with this one a few years ago when it was up for sale.

Now, if they built some more :naughty: , or she came up for sale again!

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=1441&BoatHistory=22414

talking of new boats i love the looks etc of the new boats from Richardsons and got a good look of a Carousel while moored at Wroxham free moorings and was impressed with the ease of the canopy operation the only thing i was dissapointed with was the number of scuffs and black marks along the length of the hull the boats look great in all pure white when new but might be time for a bit of colour adding up to the rubbing strip do you think Clive or do the boats clean easily if she had had a bad week with the hirers

• 2 weeks later...

Fell in love with this one a few years ago when it was up for sale.

Now, if they built some more :naughty: , or she came up for sale again!

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=1441&BoatHistory=22414

This is her

post-766-0-54018600-1414348127_thumb.jpg

This just goes to prove that there are still skilled craftsmen on the broads who could build stunning boats like this. I often wonder how hard it would be to build a boat like this, but using a modern grp hull, any chance of seeing some based on a Broadsman hull Clive?.

• Like 1

I remember back in the 70s there were a few hire boats around that were timber tops on well known grp hulls. I seem to remember a wooden topped Hampton 25, several wooden topped Elysian 27 being fwd dv, ctr, and aft ckp, not forgetting the wooden topped DC30s, one of which i hired many times.  Also in Maffett cruisers fleet was a one of the few Freeman 30s with a wooden top.

Then of course there were hundreds of timber tops on the Bourne 30, 35, and 40 hulls.

God, how i wish i`d hired more of these in my younger days.

See how you lot have got me going all religeous now?.

• Like 1