new boats for 2015

I think some older boats could do well - I say older, but there not really that old...

Something like the Lowliner 38 and 44 - but fitted out as the new boats being introduced - low air draft, duel helm and get under Wroxham Bridge - but fitted out as a two berth for the 38 and a four berth for the 44 - lots of room.

There are some amazing people out there working their socks off fitting out boats from different operators, but it is a shame (to me) the majority have to rely upon a single design and then try and make it their own e.g. anything from Alphacraft molding business.

At least Richardson’s is offering boats of the same type of size, but with a different approach to design especially the hull.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished updating the hireboat database for my website and for those that like to know these things, these are the boats which have been added or deleted from the Blakes/Hoseasons stable for 2015. This was at my latest look! Sometimes odd boats get added back in so not guaranteed yet.

Deleted boats
Fair Courier

Fair Consort
Fair Commander

Sand Dart
Sandfly
Sand Lark
Sand Martin
Bahama
Distant Horizon 2

Shining Horizon

Glamour Girl
Petite Gem

Swan Raider

Swan Royale

Boats Added

Swan Romance
Silver Serenity
Brinks Rhapsody & A

Broom Skipper / Captain / Bolero (all with new boats for 2015)

Fair Chancellor
Blue Gem
Crystal Horizon
Commodore

If you want to see what they look like, I have made a quick mock-up page on my site here:

http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/New_Norfolk_Broads_Hire_Boats_for_2015.html

Regards

David

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

If it`s that important, why not have it taken apart and re0assembled over a drainage dyke somewhere, to the exact same size and spec?. It would be cheaper to do that than to raise it.

As for the comment about designing, building, and hiring boats that have been specifically designed for the purpose of going under it, correct me if i`m wrong, but is`nt that what companies such as Alpha, Bounty, Aston, Broom, J E Fletcher, Newsons, Marthams, and Richardsons  etc etc etc have been and in some case still are doing?.  I seem to remember reading a post some years ago saying 40-50 years ago, Potter Heigham old road bridge had an AVERAGE clearance of well over 7ft, so the likes of many of the companies i mention above have already built hundreds of boats capable of doing so, the only problem being the subsoil the bridge is built on, and its very design and structural requirements .

We have to remember the bridge was built hundreds of years ago, long before the boats and river traffic, not to mention road traffic of today, and was  designed to cater for wherries pulled or pushed under and horses and carts driven over.

I`m all for conservation, but sometimes conservation HAS to give way for modern day requirements.

Don't forget your boat was called Commodore Bridgemaster when built - designed to fit under Potter Heigham.

• Like 1

MM:

I too have idle thoughts like this, when I saw Moonraker molds up for sale for £3,000. How much would it cost to fit one out? 

These were boats designed in the 70’s and I rather like the looks of them still – saw one for sale recently for about £36,000.

This is what I am talking about:

Moonraker 36

Super36.jpg

But would you look at the example they built below – known as a Marauder 46 – to my eye that is damn sleek, modern looking boat launched in 1980! They are rare but damn I like the look of these!

Marauder 46

Marauder3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I need to have smaller idle thoughts!

Robin, I remember looking at Motor boat & Yachting magazine when the Moonraker was in production. Very much one of my pipe dreams, and although shorter than the Marauder, I still prefer it's lines.

Thinks... Perhaps if instead of an engine, I had the Ocean 30 equipped with rowlocks. Maybe that would bring the price down.

There is no superstructure for the Ocean 30, the hull mould would need plenty of cleaning and preparing, there are release systems  which are a little more complicated than a couple of waxes!

The Moonraker moulds had some dispute over ownership, I am not sure where that ended but they were in Brundall.

as far as I am aware they are riddled with osmosis. the set of mouldings inside were for sale at one point for £750.

Here they are anyway: http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/advert/moonraker-36-brundall-norfolk/42053842

And here is a fascinating article that i have attached that features the Moonraker form an article published in September 1973 when a group report was done for Motor Boat and Yachting magazine.

Motor Boat and Yachting Sept. 1973.pdf

There is some history on :

www.moonrakerboats.com

We used to have a sailing cruiser at Cobbs Quay in Poole during the late 70s and early 80s. There were a number of Moonrakers in Poole Harbour at that time.

I seem to remember that after Colin Chapmans involvement a number of boats were built using both male and female moulds and a vacuum resin injection system. These particular boats were said to take on the appearance of a starved Greyhound after a very few years as the mat, ribs and strengthenings suffered from resin starvation.

This could have been idle yacht club bar chat but the story certainly did the rounds.

Ok, so we are veering way off topic now but here is a hard to find site about the Moonrakers.

http://www.moonraker.dk/eng_index.htm

not sure if the link will work, the site is not great to navigate but don't complain as the owner appears to not be with us anymore..

I cant find the pictures and locations of the moulds he had located and photod

I read your download with interest Robin. Especially the prices of the boats on test.

For younger members I would like to put the £19000 for a Moonraker in context. In that year 1973 I had been married for two years and in the June we moved to a new four bedroom terraced town house in Little Chalfont, Buckinghamshire. It cost £16000 about four times my annual wage.

• Like 1