BBMF - This would be worth seeing

donnygeoff

Both Lanc were parked up at Bournemouth airport, so when i got to work on Saturday, a took a couple of pics. When i`ve down loaded them, i`l post them on here. The pics are`nt very good, as i work on the northern extremes of the airport, so i had to use max zoom and the weather was dull and slightly misty, so they may not be very good at all.

the HURRICANE...................

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.....

the Spit got the glory as the fighter.... The Lanc as the bomber....

BUT..........

If the Hurry did not do its job and take care of the bombers coming in.......

Different story......

:Stinky

In fact Geoffers, the Hurricane was THE fighter of the Battle of Britain. Most pilots were reported to prefer to dogfight in a Hurricane, as it was a more stable gun platform than the Spit, and was (i believe) reported to be more manouverable in a dogfight situation, and they could take a lot more punishment because of their canvas construction.

It`s been documented that Douglas Bader prefered the Hurricane too.

Another point, there were more than double the number of Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain than Spitfires, and surprisingly NO Lancasters, as they never entered service to later in the war.

Ok,  After the disastrous day out to Cleethorpes - well not entirely disastrous but a no-show from the pair of lancs was a huge dissapointment we tried again.

Bucket List -

Ok, Sunday 21st Sept 14. My lad Dale suggested we visit Derwent reservoir to view the two remaining flying Avro Lancasters in flight - a once in a lifetime opportunity not to be missed. Brian Pyle came along with us as he is a 'Spotter'. Traffic was horrendous, got nowhere near Derwent, ended up abandoning the car and walking downhill for two miles, then another mile over to the dam top wall at Lady Bower and hoping - along with thousands and thousands of other hopefuls, we were not to be disappointed, three passes directly overhead, the sound of eight Merlins on song together was to die for - so chuffed I got to see them. - Enjoy

Hmm, file must be too large to upload - suggestions?

I've put the video on facebook but not sure if the link will work

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152272639286825&set=vb.728906824&type=2&theater

Griff