Less suck but more blow...

Timbo

I know I should be concerned about global warming, melting ice caps, alternative power sources and the like. Two weeks ago I tried to be more ecofriendly and went to all the trouble of washing out the empty bean tins etc and putting them in the recycle bin, only to watch the recycled waste from my street collected by the dustcart which then went on to tip the rubbish from the non recyclable bins in the next street into the same dustcart and take the lot to landfill. It was at that point I realised how much water I had used washing out the garbage, how much time I had wasted...and promptly shaved off my three week ecofriendly, otherhalfunfriendly, stubble and turned off the repeat of the Great Crested Lisping Tit on Spring-watch.

Reading the latest guff from Brussels I realised that at my time of life...I just need to get the Beagle Hair off the sofa!

• Like 4

hi tim, great stuff, & yes we are wasting our time, i too watched them put all our recycled rubbish in the same wagon, why do we bother ? we go to all that trouble washing out the damn tins & yogart cartons & seperating the newspapers too, & for what i ask myself, just so that they can shove it in one wagon, then charge us extortionate rates & have the cheek to tell us that it's expensive to recycle, are they having a laugh at our expense ? i think so.  lori

• Like 3

in my line of work i see the results of recycling at various places, plastics,household electrical, scrap metal  and garden rubbish .trust me they might be filling a dustbin lorry, but you may have two or three working the same round,recycling is a big moneyspinner no way are they going to waste (pun intended) this by mixing landfill with recyclable material.

just up the road from timbo is one of the country's larger plastic recycling centres,ECOPLASTICS,they have just invested £20million on a new plant and they get daily deliveries from council recycling centres.garden rubbish is recycled into compost a few miles from timbo ,near robin hood airport

just because you see a lorry emptying bins they have plenty of lorries it is a major undertaking,dont jump to the obvious conclusion,they pay fortunes for landfill, so no way would they mix and waste money.

mike

• Like 1

Tim, up here we have bins of all colours for different things and collection days. Brown garden refuse, blue for paper, plastic, glass and tin cans, green for general waste, and the latest one a wee tottie grey thing for whit you didny eat! Its collected at the kerb. We have a local waste disposal area down at the sea front, which is well used I can tell you. Anyway as we leave said place, it informs us what level of recycling has been completed for the month, it was 69% last month. 

There you go a complete load of rubbish I have just written but not all in one bin!

cheers Iain.

I went and checked Mike, as one of the lads mates works on the dustcart. We have separate collection days for recycled, garden waste and landfill bins. It's just that the lorry that collects my rubbish parks up at the end of my road after emptying our blue recycle bins, while the crew have lunch, and then it drives around the corner and starts emptying black landfill bins with the same lorry and same crew. So far only the garden waste goes to be processed, even though we have Ecoplastics up the roads, when it's not on fire, it takes everybody else's rubbish but not our own. This won't be implemented until 2016 for some reason, but then our council is the one that lead the way in investment in Icelandic banks as well as building brand new head offices in one town five years before the head offices are to be moved to another town and don't get me started on misplacing a couple of million.

The one thing I can say that they have got right is the local rubbish dump. Friendly service from lads that will come and help you empty your car and sort your garbage into the right skips without being asked. Now on Mike and Uncle Albert's side of the river...I was refused entry to the tip to dispose of some of uncle Albert's junk as I had 'writing on the side of the car'. Indeed I did, it said 'courtesy car'. I pointed out that the car in front had writing on it too 'Ford' and the one in front of that also had writing 'Volvo', and the one in front of that had 'Nissan' on it, all to no avail. In the end I remembered there were two skips outside the council offices in Scunthorpe so dropped off the crap in the foyer when I picked my car back up after it's service. Surprisingly the security guard at the council chuckled when I told him what I was doing and helped me put the junk in the skip. Top bloke!

• Like 3

" O good ol finnys a dustman - he wears a dustmans hat ......he has got reflect trousers and he talks a load of c**p..........well that's what my lads say .......

iam in charge of a few Crews (recent job move ) so this is right up my street ,mike is very right in his last post ,and some trucks also have separate compartments on the same truck for differing re- cycling .....folk often get confused seeing it go on the same truck

Timbo there are very small cases where its far more cost efficient to throw everything on one truck but this only happens in extreme cases like poor access for the bigger trucks or its very rural and considering they are getting 3 to 4 miles to a gallon of fuel when the machine press is in full mode and then with the budget cuts the running costs don't see eye to eye these days even though a service has to be provided

the cost of landfill is on the up Re-cycling is the only way to offset the costs

Btw Iain 69% is very good - so carry on the good work

Flatcapfin

• Like 1

a sensible and informative thread,

i bet lots of people are unaware of separate compartments in these trucks,  69% recycle rate being good etc   and the collection of mixed waste from outlying  households because of the cost of sending two vehicles

just goes to show someone has their finger on the pulse,  especially around donny :naughty:

Unfortunately like most things in life there is a downside in having what they call a twin pack truck - you can not carry as much weight as a single pack truck because they are much wider and have heavier body  than  the narrow track truck  - very unpopular with the drivers as they are very hard to get them around some areas ...also in some of the recycling centre's I go into its not uncommon for the staff to take a photo of the trucks reg then go through what's being tipped to make sure the load is not contaminated ..........if so ..they reject the load and rather than pay they charge the council to dispose of and that's why sometimes folks bins get left un-emptied on collection days by the crews ....................and remember folks its not the councils money .......it's yours

I have seen everything from dead Animals to car engines in garden waste bins .....the mind boggles..

Finny