Long serving boats

Broads01

Back in 1986 when I was a teenager my mum and dad took us on a boat then named Whispering Teal from Mistral Craft at Loddon. It was boat registration M258 and 28 years later you can still hire it from Richardsons (where its been since the year after we had it) where its now Norfolk Gem.

I know that there are many other boats on current hire that have been around a lot longer than Norfolk Gem. What's the longest serving boat you can think of and did you hire it way back?

• Like 4

quite a few of the bounty and wildes bathtubs at richardsons will be cracking on a little,  also the odd safari,  dc 30,  and calypsos

still in good nick,  well maintained and out on the river regular in the season,

we hired a bounty 37 from john williams,  ****  something sea" (will come to me shortly)  about 26 years ago and it was no where near new then,  

the same boat went to the richardsons fleet on the demise of john williams 

I think most, if not all of Alan Johnsons boats went to Stalham or over to the Horizon Yard at Acle. 

Another I saw on the river in May in another guise was Aston Otter. On the other place a member has bought a boat called Braveheart that was Ritaline 1 (Porter&Haylett) in 1980.

I wonder how many of the Bermudas (FB WILDS) I hired at Hearts at Thorpe are still on the go now. Not to mention all the Aston Concorde Class that we hired.

cheers Iain.

I think most, if not all of Alan Johnsons boats went to Stalham or over to the Horizon Yard at Acle. 

Another I saw on the river in May in another guise was Aston Otter. On the other place a member has bought a boat called Braveheart that was Ritaline 1 (Porter&Haylett) in 1980.

I wonder how many of the Bermudas (FB WILDS) I hired at Hearts at Thorpe are still on the go now. Not to mention all the Aston Concorde Class that we hired.

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

You should have a word with Paul (aka forumite "Paul & Lorna) as their boat "Peta`s Joy" is an ex Aston Seamaster 30. You may have hired it in it former glory?.

Hi Mike,

We had Sunmist in 1977, the yard went overboard excuse the pun with hideholes soooo much storage on it when they fitted it out. Never forget that boat, my head was black n blue that slight rise to the front ment being 6ft tall was an ouch every time I forgot to duck! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

The obvious candidates are the Martham fleet, some of which have been around since the 1950s, I think the oldest one we've hired is Judith 3, but we've also had a Japonica class yacht which can't be much younger.

This is quite fun! I think there are some much older boats. Bootlegger from Eastwood Whelpton seems to have been built before 1929.

And Zoe, a stunning little counter-stern yacht now in the Martham fleet is even older.

Broadscot

The Aston Wizard left the broads but as far as I know is still about. The other Concorde class boats that you list are still going strong in private hands, I've seen all of them this week. In fact I'm sat on one of them right now!

The private one that you hired out of Loddon was I believe called Sophie, the ex Springbow. She's still about too.

The private one that you hired out of Loddon was I believe called Sophie, the ex Springbow. She's still about too. 

Thank you Dolphin, thats the one. The owner I think came from the south coast, but could be wrong with that. Great boat, just flick a switch in the morning, piping hot water for showers etc in know time at all :)

cheers Iain.

I love the old Astons, but it's boats still on current hire I was thinking about here particularly. Merlin is a good call, anyone know how many years it's been at Maffetts? Yes there's tons of old rag and stick kit around I know. I was also thinking about Hawaii from Richardsons which I think dates from about 1969.

I love the old Astons, but it's boats still on current hire I was thinking about here particularly. Merlin is a good call, anyone know how many years it's been at Maffetts? Yes there's tons of old rag and stick kit around I know. I was also thinking about Hawaii from Richardsons which I think dates from about 1969.

Oi, don't disparage the old rag and sticks or I might take offence two guns

Actually, if you're going to restrict this to to the smellier vessels, I don't think Merlin is in the race. From what I can see she dates from the early 70s. Judith, Janet and Juliette from Martham are significantly older. Perhaps Silver Jubilee and Jayne as well.

Hi Iain,

You should have a word with Paul (aka forumite "Paul & Lorna) as their boat "Peta`s Joy" is an ex Aston Seamaster 30. You may have hired it in it former glory?.

Hi Neil, Peters Joy was Aston Florida, Built 1974. 40 years old and still going strong (at great expense :naughty: ) , As Charlie says Sophie is about in Beccles too, that makes 4 Aston 'Concorde's' still about in Beccles with Dolphin and Longbow.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

Talking of ex Aston boats still going strong, don't forget Andy's Song of Freedom - ex Aston Vanguard; Sweet Freedom - ex Aston Broadsword; and Rambling Freedom - ex Aston Mars (?).

I hired Aston Nevada in about 1985/6 from the Loddon yard with my parents, saw her for sale at Wroxham as Vada when I was on the broads last year.....I was tempted.

We have to be talking wood whether sail or stinkie! I think the yachts at Martham, Womack or Upton will win the prize followed by the Martham Cruisers, followed by............

As to the oldest wooden cruiser still afloat, I sure I have seen a thread discussing this but can't remember where :)

Mine goes back to 1933 but there are a lot that are older!

And of course there are several private sailing yachts that are 'truly ancient'!