Interior Design & the Space Race

Timbo

My other half thinks that I have no common sense. If asked to cite her reasons she would probably point out that A) I am an academic (or nerd) and  B ) I am a man. Although I would be the first to admit that once outside of my sphere of expertise I’m as much use as a chocolate fire-guard, I do have certain skills and  proclivities...for example I do like to make sure I can find my posterior with both hands in any situation that I could find myself in. Having said that I’m about to leap off the deep end with regard to the renovation of Royal Tudor, but I am trying to research as much as I possibly can before I nail my fingers to the deck. This long preamble brings me to a question about ‘interior design’.

You see I want to keep RT as close to a ‘period’ vessel as possible with only the occasional nod in the direction of modernity. As Royal Tudor was built in 1960 would I be right in assuming she would be fitted out with fabric, housewares etc from the 1950’s? if so could someone give me a nod in the right direction to do a spot of research?

I have to say having Googled ‘50’s fabric designs’ I can now put some historical context to the space race.

“Chhkk... Houston…”

“Chhkk...Go ahead Apollo…”

“Chhkk...Tell my wife...Chhkk...we can still see those living room curtains from up here...Chhk…”

• Like 5

Hi Tim,

I would think by 1960 although the finish of the boat would have been varnished timber built on traditional lines the crockery and fabrics would have been very modern and up to date.

As a child of the 50's we were still rebounding from World War 2 but there was innovations in the kitchen, crockery & china, fashions & materials and for some reason gourde wallpaper.

I would look for some bright white based crockery/china with a small pattern to go against your darker timber, if your budget would allow have a look for some Foley, Aynsley or Shelley china.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

The plates on the early cruisers we hired were the pyrex type smokey brown or plain clear glass, very small drinking tea/coffee cups, a typical camping kettle with a whistle that worked! :naughty: Egg cups that didny fit the average egg. All the decor was plywood with umpteen coats of varnish, so that meant the parts that saw our "hot" summers then were well and truely bleached. The heads were done in a primrose yellow formica, and of course the loo itself was the bog standard pun intended well used recycled blue  loo pump action, the makers name I do no know.

Dunlopillo beds and seating too with the waterproof type rexine. Sorry Tim, nae duvets either, you will have to rough it with fresh white bed linen from Fakenham Laundry and good old fashioned army blankets. No rev counter just oil and battery guages. Lighting, such as it was was 15/30watt Bayonet Cap. A little beeswax on the drawers helped them slide easier too. Hopefully other old codgers like me will remember many other styles of that era for you.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

what's wrong with chocolate fire guards? :wacko:

Ah you see Keith I have given this some thought, tried an experiment and reached the following conclusion...

The chocolate fire-guard does not allow any heat to be radiated into its surroundings, due to the daughter and two beagles providing a secondary guard as they try  to devour the fire-guard before it melts!  :ugeek: