Crossing to the southern broads and tides?

Chocofluff

I think is always "safe" but you will charge down the Bure and pass through the yacht station at about 5 mph in neutral! You will then find out if there is enough clearance at the bridges (what do you need) you will then pass the yellow post and come to crawl as the tide will be flowing out.

I went through an hour before low tide this year but clearance was no problem for us but it was a low slog across Breydon making at best 4.5 mph.

Hi June,

I don't know whch tables you are using, but add an hour or so to that time you said for slack water. If you leave near that time you said for low water at GY you should be fine. You will know the nearer you get to GY if you are hiting slack water. That boat should clear the bridges easily, if as you said you are on Crown Gem. Just have the canopy and screen down before you get to the two bridges.

Have good trip over Braydon

cheers Iain.

We're using the tide table given to us from Richardson's . We're not sure what slack water means. In the table it says low tide, high tide and slack water. We just want to be able to get under the bridges so has it got to be exactly at 3.59 as in the table or will an hour before be ok?

We did it last year but can't remember what time frame we have before and after low tide to get through.

June x

Ok if Richos says that time try arriving an HOUR after that for the easier passage through on SLACK WATER. From Straceys if you catch the end of the ebb it should take you approx one hour 25 mins to Gt Yarmouth yacht station and the two bridges. As Matt said, go past the Yellow Post first before turning right.

cheers Iain.

If you get to Gt Yarmouth from the North at Slack Water + 1hr 30mins you'll still have a bit of a following tide and also you'll have the flood just starting across Breydon Water to push you along. It is usual to get slack water (when the tide's not going either way) 1 hour after LW but at Gt Yarmouth it's nearer 1hr 30mins after Low Water.

If you arrive 1hr before Low Water you will rush through Gt Yarmouth with hardly any revs on (difficult to steer) and then face a long slog into the tide across Breydon Water.

• Like 2

Hi June,

I print off a weeks worth of tide times from this site.

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp?StartDate=23/08/2014&lines=7

I think it will be self explanatory when you get there.  I forgot to print a copy for when we were last down there in July and felt like I was missing an arm, a very useful bit of kit! :)

• Like 1

Quite right Iain and I don't suggest anyone should sit there with a stop watch and I don't think I have ever gone through Gt Yarmouth exactly 90 minutes after low water, it is just a guide time.

Anyroadup, totally off subject, do you remember the penultimate Indian wicket in their second innings of the last Test, where according to the commentator none of the English players realised the batsman was just short of making his ground.  I always understood that if you don't appeal you don't get, unless your stumps are spreadeagled and it is blindly obvious, but with snicks, LBWs and concerns with the ball carrying you have to appeal.  Hope all that makes sense.

Sorry June, you are not that far away, you can metaphorically box my ears. :bow:naughty:

• Like 1

Hello June,

We have a number of links to various tide tables including Shorebase. We use the Broads Authority tide tables because it gives the low water height which is important to get our boat through Yarmouth.

If you click on forums and then look at Visiting the Broads? and click on Tide Tables, alternatively use this link to see all the tide tables on the forum:-

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/236-tide-tables/

Regards

Alan