Oh nooo, hubby had an accident crossing Breydon!

Chocofluff

The wind picked up suddenly and he asked me to take the wheel so he could put the wind shield up. The gust caught him and he came crashing into the boat, cutting under his foot quiet badly!

He's bled quite a bit bit is ok now- I've cleaned it and padded it out with tissues . We are at the berney inn now, which is closing today. Going to try and get to Reedham to find a chemist or shop for dettol

But where to moor at Brundall, Alan? I would have suggested Loddon but doubt there will be anywhere there.

There are still lots of spaces at the Wherry here in Oulton Broad. If you want to try that June then ring them and book a slot. There are several NBN members here.

Wherry Hotel

Bridge Rd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 3LN
01502 516845

Wherever they're facing a slog into the tide.

There is a number of hire companies in Brundall such as Silverline etc but I would try for the 24 hour mooring just through Brundall, if there is space (I know a big if) the path from those mooring takes you up to the Brundall Church, and then a short walk to Budgens super market or the Chemists.

Alternatively if June calls in the Brooms fuel station and asks if they can find her a temporary mooring, under the circumstances I am sure that they can accommodate her.

Regards

Alan

A bit late for June and her husband this time (I hope he is OK), but I'm sure a First Aid kit will be in the suitcase next time. Put it down to experience and it won't happen again. I'm sure a pub will have something and if not, alcohol will do the same job. 

We managed to moor at Loddon and get antiseptic and dressings for his foot . He knocked it again trying to adjust the aerial. I've confined him to his seat now- I think he needs stitches but he's so stubborn!

June x

If you`re still at Loddon, and he still needs attention, I know John Cressy at Maffett cruisers used to be a retained fireman based in Loddon, so they may still have some emergency first aide kit. I know it`s a long shot, but if his foot is as bad as you say, it`s worth the asking. Also, if he`s lost a lot of blood, ON NO ACCOUNT LET HIM WALK ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOAT, irresopective of whether he`s wearing a lifejacket. Injuries like that can sometimes bring on delayed shock, and make people pass out. If you`re still concerned after that?, call out the paramedic, it`s what they`re there for.

One last thing, do not wash down the decks with river water, as if he`s on deck, and gets wet feet, there`s also the possibility of WEILS disease.

• Like 1

I'd just like to reiterate something that Riyadhcrew said a few posts ago,

Always carry a basic first aid kit when afloat, whether it's your own boat or a hired one.

It's easy to forget how far away you can be from quick assistance in the event of cuts and burns when you're afloat and moored up somewhere with limited landward access.

Even just a few plasters, sterile dressings and antiseptic can be a lifesaver when immediately to hand.

I became a qualified First Aider back in the 1960's when I joined the GPO, and since then have always kept a first aid kit in every car, caravan, boat, and bike that I've ever owned.

They're so cheap to buy in neat containers and bags in a variety of small sizes.

post-195-0-49572300-1408832361_thumb.jpg

I'd just like to reiterate something that Riyadhcrew said a few posts ago,

Always carry a basic first aid kit when afloat, whether it's your own boat or a hired one.

It's easy to forget how far away you can be from quick assistance in the event of cuts and burns when you're afloat and moored up somewhere with limited landward access.

Even just a few plasters, sterile dressings and antiseptic can be a lifesaver when immediately to hand.

June, I hope you both are resting and all goes well.

We keep a First Aid Box on the boat and even in the car.

A few years ago I had to use the one we had in the car plus you must always keep your First Aid Box is updated.

Regards

Marina     :Stinky

Bad news, no, June's loved one has not lost his hoof, rather that I hear that the pub is to close, seems that the tenants have had enough after just one summer. Can't confirm it but doubtless someone will soon. If a pub couldn't make it this past summer then I doubt that it ever will.

Hubby is a bit better this morning. I have cleaned and dressed his foot and told him to keep it covered! No more climbing on the deck to take wind shields down while we are moving!

The Bernie arms closed down completely yesterday . They were just selling drinks off for donations!

Very sad, my first time there and it looked like a lovely place'

June x

Slightly off topic, but I believe the beginning of the demise of the Lord Nelson was when Crouchens Store closed. Not a cheap shop, but was well used by all boaters. Those days boats were doubled moored at the quay, but there again there were a lot more hire yards at Brundall. I could not get my head round that Coffee/cake place that took it over.

Things move on. I know, but sadly not always for the best IMHO. 

cheers Iain.

June, next time that you are on the Norwich river give the Surlingham Ferry boozer a try, excellent.

Absolutely, Peter, a bench-mark for any Broads pub.

The only problem is that the owner won't cough up to have the quay headings sorted and quite a bit is now sign-posted as unfit to moor.

When we're going there nowadays we always ring up ahead and book a mooring space.