Two Adults, Two Kids, one Dog and a Boat

donnygeoff

With the canopy down we made it under St Olaves bridge, and decided to moore at Herringfleet to put the canopy back up.

With the canopy back up and underway, laddo asked where we were, I got the map out and the first thing I saw on the map was............ Somerleyton bridge (I am sure this canopy was realy a yoyo). We moored again to take it down. As it had cleared up a little it stayed down until we moored at the Waveney Centre.

We had a quick walk and went int the pub for food (warmth), a few pints (warmth), and to win a few teddys on the crane games.

Back on the boat we fished a little, catching skimmers and perch before settling down for the night.

Thursday 2nd Oct.

In the morning the OH and kids went swimming, I stayed on the boat with Lady and dropped the rod again. Ryan came back first and decided he would fish as well so I gave him my float rod and got my Lure rod out. After about the 5th cast, WHAM, a bend in the rod, "quick Ryan, get the landing net, I'm into one here". We managed to land the monster, but could not weigh it as we had no scales. I think this one must have been caught before, as a fellow boater new its name, he called it JACK. It was at least 10" long and 2" deep.

After that we set off for Somerleyton and the Dukes Head.

A nice walk up to the Dukes and a very nice pint of WOLF, back to the boat for a trip up the cut to Reedham.

Decided to take canopy down as it was fine and we needed it down for Reedham Bridge.

We moored outside the ship, and had to go in, again dog friendly and very nice pint of Wherry. We walked along the front to get essential suplies like duck food, and sat outside the Lord Nelson.

Now, ny OH had decided for the last few days to drink what I was drinking. I went into the pub, looked at the pumps and decided to try THE PORTER. It was black, like a stout. Walking outside with the drinks, i thought, here we go she won't like this. How wrong can I be, it was the nicest drink she had had. (note to self, earn brownie points by stopping here again :kiss ).

Then off we set to Loddon

The plan was to moore at Pyes Mill and have a BBQ, but we decided agianst that and continued on to the basin.

A walk into the village for a quick drink in The Kings Head, a game of pool, (my little girl left her coat, so if anyone from the Kings reads this, it was a brown one I think, don't save it, it won't fit her by the time we come again), and fish and chips to take back. Then another early night.

These early mornings are killing me.

:Stinky

Stay tuned I will finish off the last few days tomorrow, I am suffering with man-flu at the moment. :(

Hi Donny

i think i seen Pedro when we was on the boat in Loddon leaving the staithe.

Wayne the head Sheff o f the Kings Head is a members so drop him a PM

lovely tale Donny any more pics :wave:wave

Friday 3rd Oct

After a little fishing, and catching again. we left Loddon, turned left towards Cantley for a quick pint in the Reedcutter, the canopy is UP as we did not need to go under any bridges. We arrived at the Reedcutter and first mate moored again. We only went in for the one, but stayed for two, COYOTEE, very nice, I think it could have been the log burning stove that kept us there, (next year can we have an award for the prettiest barmaid :-D ) the locals in there were realy friendly, and the kids and Lady felt welcomed.

Leaving the Reedcuutter we carried on to the Beauchamp Arms. On mooring we were met by the biggest goose I have ever seen. Ryan, first mate, got off to moor up, and was nearly knocked over by it. A nice slice of bread kept it away while the boat was secured.

A few games of pool, a pint of Swallow Tail and Wherry, then it was back aboard to go to Rockland St Mary and the New Inn.

This time I had to cast off myself, as the BIG GOOSE came back and Ryan decided to get on board just in case it wanted him for dinner.

We pulled into the staithe at Rockland and stern moored between two private boats, one was TINKERBELLE, and I think the one to my starboard was BON BON (memory gone a little).

Both fishing so we thought lets have a go as well. Now if any fishermen/women are reading this, we caught a fish I have never seen before, it had the brown spotty markings of a gudgeon, but was the shape (with a spiny dorsal) like a perch.

I went into the New Inn, to see if kids and dogs were allowed in, (didn't have a quick pint :naughty: ) It has changed since my last visit.

We went in and had a very nice meal, adult orietated, they have no childrens meals, but will do small portions for the kids.

Ryan eats adult meals anyway so it was just little Ems that neede the small portion. She choise Burger (how can you have a small burger) so she had adult meal as well (and ate most of it leaving a few chips).

The gent in BON BON (I hope that boat name is right) came up to me and said " I will need to run my engine for a while tonight, will you mind" " of course not" I said. We left, and my intention was to do a little more fishing, 8:30 back in boat, laid on bed and the next thing, it's 11:30, (I hate these early mornings). So the gent could have had is engine running for 3 hours and we would not have heard a thing.

Saturday 4th Oct.

Woke early and took Lady for a walk down towards Rockland broad, a very nice walk, but when we came to a gate with BEWARE OF THE BULL on it we turned back.

The couple in BON BON, got out their bikes and asked if we wanted anything from the shop, about a mile away, (a very nice gesture) we didn't as we had bread (duck food) and milk, but thankyou.

The gent on TINKERBELLE was out and asked if the sign in my window (more bonus points Brian) was the NBN flag, and we had a talk about both forums, boating and fishing, ( nice bloke).

Anyway, before we set off we did a little more fishing and little Ems with her new rod and pink fishing net (sorry pink landing net) caught a perch, she was well chuffed that she caught and used her net to land it)

So off we set Reedham.

(the original plan was to go to St Olaves, but my brownie points were going to be used)

The last time on the Broads the OH realy enjoyed a salad at The Ferry Inn Reedham, so I sugested we go there for dinner (my plan to stop, and fill up with water in Reedham and get a drink of THE PORTER for her :kiss )

Well the food and service are excellent, I would recommend it to all. A great meal and a couple of pints of Wherry went down well.

We set off for water at Reedham, and as I was filling up the rest of the crew went to look in the shops. As they came back I looked down the river and saw this...post-360-136713433218_thumb.jpg.jpg]

The canopy can stay up (YYYEEEAAAHHH)

I walked across the road to get the beers in and OOOOOOOOOHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOO, the Nelson was SHUT (staff and clientel gone to Newmarket, horse racing, brownie points out of window :cry )

So decided to set off for Bernie Arms.

It can't get worse, CAN IT

Just as we were about to set off the BLOODY BRIDGE started to close.

CANOPY DOWN two gunstwo guns

So canopy down and on to Berney Arms.

When we arrived we went in for a quick pint and a game of pool then back to the boat for a spot of fishing.

We changes to the ledger rigs and cast in. Ryan decided to take lady for a walk and as he was gone his rod started to twitch a little, I thought it was the tide at first but decided to pull it in.

This was eating the worms on the treble hookpost-360-136713433509_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I managed to catch a Sea Bass before we re-visited the pub.

The OH decided to stay on board as I took the kids for another game of pool.

I had the Golden Gorse, which was nice.

Sunday 5th October, The last day (thank goodness for that, I hear you say)

Woke to slight drizzle, so decided that I would cross Breydon with canopy down and put it up when through the bridges.

This time the tide would be perfect, set of at about 7:30 to hit slack water.

Off we went, and within 5 minutes it started to P it down, the few boats coming towards Berney must have thought they were passing a right plonker, wet through, wind swept and waving and smiling like mad.

As soon as we were under the bridges we moored and the canopy came up. This was not a nice experience as I could not see a thing.

post-360-136713433809_thumb.jpg.jpg]

Now, where are the windscreen wipers, When I reveiwed that last photo I decided to take another as I could see a boat coming towards me

post-360-136713433814_thumb.jpg.jpg]

Just for proof, here's a shot through the back a minute later

post-360-136713434076_thumb.jpg.jpg]

We moored at the end of Thurne Dyke and went to the Lion, the kids played pool again, and we had a Wherry and a Broadside before setting off to Wayford.

It had cleared up a bit now, and as we arrived at Wayford there were no moorings this side of the bridge.

Canopy down?

You must be joking, off to Sutton Staithe.

I went in to the Hotel and booked a table, The food was fantastic, mixed grill, 2 x surf and turf, scampi and chips £41.00 but well worth it.

Back on boat and dropped the rods in again.

Monday 6th October

early start to drop boat back at the yard, did my conservation bit by trimming a few of the overhanging branches down the side of the staithe.

Now back at the yard they started to fill San Pedro up with fuel to see if I got any of my £75.00 fuel deposit back.

Not much will come back, I thought.

Stalham-Horning-Ludham-Ranworth-Fishermans-Waveney Cntr-loddon-Rockland St Mary-Berney-Wayford-Sutton.

Quite a trip in one week. Only used £45.65 worth of fuel.

Took this photo of ducks all in a line, only one decided to spoil the shot (yes it's the female one)

post-360-136713434082_thumb.jpg.jpg]

But look at the reflection, nice blue skies :cry

into the car and a quick trip to Potter for a coffee before the trip home.

Don't think many will get through here at the moment

post-360-136713434088_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, sounds like you had a good time despite the rain and the cold, not to mention the gales lol!!, great holiday tale thanks, enjoyed reading it. hope you get over the man flu soon.

Oh before I forget, that fish you caught, spotty like a gudgeon with spiky dorsal fin, that was a

Ruff or Pope, it's related to the Perch I believe. used to get lots of them in the 60s but don't see many of them now.

Regards Pete :Stinky