Where?

AdnamsGirl

OK. This image has me stumped. I've studied it for ages and am still none the wiser.

It must date to around 1910 (but may be slightly earlier) and there's lots going on in the photo ... including the chappie taking potshots at the local wildlife! It looks as though there is a rali swing bridge in the background but those buildings on the left are really throwing me. At first I thought it might have been Reedham and the original swing bridge there, but would have thought we'd have seen the Ship Inn.

Any thoughts?

post-143-0-89695700-1409133329_thumb.jpg

Haddiscoe swing bridge would certainly have been there in 1910 ... not sure about the pylons though!

Good suggestion though ... I hadn't thought about looking at it from the other direction. Will see if I can find any other images of Haddiscoe with which to compare it.

cheers

There certainly looks to be a central pier in the middle of the river, so either Haddiscoe or Aldby? My guess would be Aldby though, as the station buildings etc at Haddiscoe look totally different and I guess they would have been there at that time.

Given the limited number of swing bridges to choose from, it does narrow it down, but it's those buildings which I don't recognise.

Aldeby swing bridge was, I think, replaced in the 1920s, so possibly the Haddiscoe one was too. It certainly doesn't look like the couple of images I do have of Haddiscoe & Aldeby which are definitely later than this photo. The signal box may have been a 1920s addition if the bridge was replaced? Someone suggested those might be the buildings where the EA ones now stand, but that doesn't really work as those buildings are close to the New Cut and on the opposite side of the river if that was looking towards the old rail bridge at Haddiscoe. Unless the glass neg that the photo came from has been reversed?

This was Haddiscoe, probably in the 1950s - not enough of the left bank to see if there were any remains of buildings there.

post-143-0-36127600-1409140947_thumb.jpg

I know I have some more pics of Haddiscoe & Aldeby bridges somewhere on my PC ... it's finding them that's proving difficult at the moment!

• Like 1

Hi Carol

Are you sure this photo is from the Broads?

Only Somerleyton has a viaduct either side of the actual swinging section of the bridge.

I have never seen a photo of Aldeby and this might be a first if it is this bridge but the turntable for that bridge is on the Beccles side and the old maps of 1880s look like it goes through quite a short area of marsh

Liz

post-309-0-01002400-1409141426_thumb.jpg

I thought it came from a set of images of the Broads taken from glass plate negs, but I'm now struggling to find the original file on my computer. My filing system seems to have gone rather pear-shaped over the last year! :cry

Perhaps it isn't actually the Broads after all. I'll keep looking ...

Ok. I've found the original file now. It definitely came from a batch of glass negs which included shots of wherries and identifiable Broadland locations. I guess that doesn't automatically guarantee that the image was taken at the same time or in the same area though. This is one of the others from that batch.

post-143-0-84474400-1409144814_thumb.jpg

This is a rare bit of footage dated to 1927 from British Pathe of the new, electrically operated swing bridge which was installed at Aldeby c1926. Unfortunately, it doesn't give any wider shots to see if there were any buildings nearby. An interesting little bit of film of a lost landmark though.

• Like 1

I've done a little more digging this afternoon and am now wondering about it being the original bridge at Reedham again, looking back upstream towards the village. In Sheila Hutchinsons Reedham Remembered book there is a photo of some men in a boat near to Bridge House, which is to the east of the rail bridge and in the background is Benns' farmhouse & steam pump, which must presumably be on the Norton Subcourse side of the river, just upstream of the New Cut. There is a tall chimney in my photograph too ... could this possibly be what we are looking at and the boat is moored alongside that farm?

post-143-0-32074400-1409149660_thumb.jpg

The original, single track rail bridge did look very different ...this was it from Reedham Quay. This must be c1900 although the postcard itself wasn't posted until 1927.

post-143-0-72449500-1409149976_thumb.jpg

If the boat in my photo was actually moored round the corner from the bridge, on the end of Haddiscoe Island (X marks the spot below) then I think that might work given the marked position of the pumping station? It's a difficult one to call without seeing more images of the buildings that were at Reedham. Further investigation needed I think.

post-143-0-60460300-1409159987_thumb.jpg

Hello Carol,

I think you may be onto a winner with the Reedham theory, but I think your original picture of the moored wherry may have been around where the crane is at Reedham now.

Just my thoughts but I may be on the wrong track.

It looks like you will have to do more picture searching.

Regards

Alan

Hi Bill - I'm not sure whether Somerleyton works because of that range of buildings and the chimney you can see in the original photo. I don't think there was ever anything like that at Somerleyton?

Hi Alan - by the crane, do you mean the one near Sandersons yard?

There are a couple of interesting pics within the counsil archives on the Picture Norfolk website. I am not sure whether these help or not. They certainly show some buildings and a steam pump chimney opposite the junction of the Yare and the New Cut, but are the buildings right? It's hard to tell and buildings could have been added of course. I suspect the Picture Norfolk photos are going to date to the 1880s/90s so maybe 10 or 20 years older than mine.

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/OPAC/BIBENQ/58583030/2211184,1?FMT=IMG&IMGNUM=1

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/OPAC/BIBENQ/58583113/2211110,2?FMT=IMG

Hello,

I'm not confident at all that this is reedham, given all pictures, and the angle of the original picture I'm sure you see the hill at reedham there...i.e  there appears be more than one span of the bridge in the original picture whereas the other pictures it appears theres only a couple before the hill would be visible. I have a feeling (and nothing more!) that this is Aldeby although I clearly don't know.. perhaps its not the broads ? could it be the fens? or even medway?

I've ran this picture through google (it's a really neat trick, you may know already - right click the image and select "Search google for this image".. it searches the internet for simular pictures.. I was thinking someone else may have the picture) but nothing found :(

Good luck with your search though and an interested thread (and a brilliant website in your link :)  

Having just had a look at a Google Earth image of Somerleyton, I have

outlined in red what could be the remains of the riverside shed shown

side-on to the river in the photo.

There also appears to be an image of what could have been a road

leading away from there, next to the rail lines, toward the farm buildings

on the right. Ok, it could be a drainage ditch but could also have been

a road which would make sense to transport good to, and away from, the

railway and the river.

post-199-0-86532000-1409216302_thumb.jpg

I don't think it was taken at the Sandersons end of Reedham as you would have seen Halls boatyard and many of the riverside buildings & quay on the left and the hill in the village. It would have to have been taken from the other side of the bridge, looking upstream, to be Reedham.

I'm pretty certain that the other glass negs in the set were all taken on the Broads. The party were at Yarmouth and I think a couple of other shots are southern rivers. If it is Reedham then the land on the left is marshland and Reedham village would be on the right hand side. There isn't enough of the right hand bank to see enough to be certain and I'm still trying to locate more photos of Benns' farm & steam pump to compare what I can see in my pic. I don't know how much there was at the far end of Reedham at the turn of the century.

Thanks for all your input! I do love a mystery, but this one is driving me slightly nuts. :eek:

• Like 2