Where?

AdnamsGirl

Great work Liz - both with the Roy Clarke pic and with finding one of the original Haddisoce rail bridge which is fascinating to see!

I've still not come up with any more pics, but Haddiscoe is looking increasingly likely isn't it? Here is thr full image flipped round the other way ... and looking again, I was mistaken about the chap with the rifle as he is right handed this way round.

post-143-0-22901700-1410081931_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

..... Here is thr full image flipped round the other way ... and looking again, I was mistaken about the chap with the rifle as he is right handed this way round......

Carol, it looks as though the forum upload function keeps scaling the picture down to 600 x 900.

If your original scan was appreciably bigger than this, would it be possible for you to crop the image to just the bridge section ?

Then when you upload it, there would  be more crucial detail, despite the down-scaling when uploaded.

post-195-0-95091100-1410082969_thumb.jpg

As has already been thought of, is it possible the photo is reversed ?

Since the swing bridge is the likeliest way of nailing the location, here it is, enhanced, from Carol's photo, original and flipped.

Is it possible to scan that part of the neg at a higher resolution ? 

Most plate cameras gave excellent resolution, being of larger size than roll film.

Or in fact, was this scan already at a higher resolution, and been reduced by the forum software ? Is it possible to put it online somewhere, at original size ?

I've enlarged this section by a factor of three, which has degraded it quite a lot.

There's a good chance of getting much more detail of the bridge, the camera appears to have been in a tripod.

As has already been thought of, is it possible the photo is reversed ?

Since the swing bridge is the likeliest way of nailing the location, here it is, enhanced, from Carol's photo, original and flipped.

Is it possible to scan that part of the neg at a higher resolution ? 

Most plate cameras gave excellent resolution, being of larger size than roll film.

Or in fact, was this scan already at a higher resolution, and been reduced by the forum software ? Is it possible to put it online somewhere, at original size ?

I've enlarged this section by a factor of three, which has degraded it quite a lot.

There's a good chance of getting much more detail of the bridge, the camera appears to have been in a tripod.

looking at the chap with the gun, the bottom (reversed image) makes more sense as then the rifle is being used right handed.

just my 1/2d worth.

Grendel

I'm not clever enough to do what Strow does with Google earth and highlighting bits and I don't know if this helps but...

If on Google Earth you go to 52° 31' 35.55" N,   1° 37' 43.41" E,  Altitude 2100 ft, That puts you on a moored cruiser. I think that's where the wherry is moored in the photo.

There is a drainage ditch clearly visible. less clear is what looks to me like a service dyke just a few metres to the north. (it has a small craft moored in it) The markings on the land next to that dyke look very much man made and could be where the "sheds" are in the photo of the wherry.

The curve of the river fits too.

I initially guessed that the photo was taken from down stream, but now you've turned the pic round it shows the other side! :)

I posted the above while reading the thread - not realising that the same conclusion had been arrived at, but with the gun at the right shoulder with left hand steadying would be preferred, depending upon the gun, some could not be used left handed unless a left hand gun was specially built - due to cartridge ejection, or the matchlock / flintlock mechanism on earlier guns.

Grendel

I'm not clever enough to do what Strow does with Google earth and highlighting bits and I don't know if this helps but...

If on Google Earth you go to 52° 31' 35.55" N,   1° 37' 43.41" E,  Altitude 2100 ft, That puts you on a moored cruiser. I think that's where the wherry is moored in the photo.......

Flattery will get you anywhere :)

Good call Maurice, it seems to fit together quite well...

post-195-0-17149200-1410086603_thumb.jpg

Yeah the forum does scale images to a maximum of around 800-1000px.

There's a number of reasons we do it, but the main ones are 1) ensuring that people with older computers can see the images without the corners getting chopped and 2) keeping our disk usage from becoming unmanageable (it used to be crazy with the old forum software we used).

Please don't think I was knocking it Jonzo, I completely agree that auto downscaling to average screen size is a damn good idea.

As camera resolutions are  increasing so fast, forums that don't reduce original images are wasting so much disc space and download bandwidth, storing them at ten or twenty times the size they need to be.

One other possible item to help say it is Haddiscoe is on the very far right of the original picture, there looks like the possibility of a signal - which would be on the Reedham to Lowestoft line?

Also if they are lowering the sail/putting up the sail that might mean they are about to go or have just been through St Olaves road bridge.

Okay clutching at straws here to convince myself we may have solved the puzzle!

Liz

Your google map is now on the wrong side of the river and upstream of the bridge? Having reversed the picture, I am working on the theory that the yacht is on the Waveney at St Olaves, with the New Cut just to the right and that the sheds/chimney were those between the river and 'other' railway. The reason for this suggestions is that on the left side of the picture found in Roy Clark's book, there is a hillside, being that the one on the St Olaves side and that is also visible in Carol's picture?

Sorry Liz, I was being a bit "Tongue in cheek" suggesting that with the negative one way round it showed the bridge from downstream, turn the negative round and it showed the other side of the bridge.

You know me... can't be taken seriously for too long!

Strows illustrated reply shows where I think the photo was taken.

Thanks Strow. :)

Strow

Can you do a similar montage but showing the picture from downstream. just a bit past the New Cut?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=645592&y=299052&z=120&sv=645592,299052&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=619&ax=645592&ay=299052&lm=0

Thanks Liz

The buildings certainly fit in well with that viewpoint Liz.

another strong possibility, I guess...  :)

post-195-0-60085700-1410095294_thumb.jpg

Hi Strowager

I'm afraid this is the highest resolution copy I have of the image. As I said earlier, I didn't do the scan and can't remember where the image came from as it has been lurking on my PC for several years.

Carol

Ok, no worries Carol, there's been some good suggestions from the thread respondents...