Dinghy Camping

JennyMorgan

A tent on a boat has a lot to recommend it for pottering around the Broads, something that I have enjoyed for years. Not sure that I would take it to the extremes of these fellows though:

http://www.xtremedinghycruising.com/

Mind you, I'm not alone but for most folk all the comforts of home are a must, for me it's about escaping the trammels of home life. Go basic, you should try it. Camping boats are available, I believe, from both Martham and Hunters. You can go where others can't, and it needn't cost a fortune. Here I am moored for the night at Berney Arms, memorable for the all night warbling of the high volume bird-life.

post-30277-0-96627900-1409259416_thumb.j

• Like 1

In June we hired a Silver Jubilee and a half-decker from Martham and arranged for a camping awning and mattresses for the half-decker (free of charge if you ask!). Although there were plenty of bunks for us all on SJ, my daughter and her cousin slept on the half-decker every night and had a wonderful time.

To digress a bit from Peter's point, the whole holiday gave us a slightly different perspective on the Broads. We started out hiring motor cruisers and over time have migrated to yachts (me being a long-time racing dinghy sailor, albeit now a decrepit one). This is the first time we've combined sailing and motoring, and it was magical. Probably the best day was the one we spent mud-weighted on Horsey, with the half-decker bombing around the mere in a stiff breeze, with regular stops to change over the crew.

I really can subscribe to Spider's comments about the sheer enjoyment of blasting around under sail. Crossing Breydon enters another dimension if there is anything of a blow. I've crossed when it's been like a millpond but I've also arrived at the other end with my face caked in dried on salt from the spray. 

We sleep in some comfort using memory foam 'toppers' as mattresses. We could buy a purpose built cover but have found a backpacker's tent that fits over our cockpit to be ideal, or we can set it up on the bank.

Considering that we could use a Broads River Cruiser the choice of a tent on a dinghy might seem strange but being able to lift our centre-plate and slide into a backwater, put up our tent and settle down for the night has a lot to recommend it. 

post-30277-0-52872000-1409296927_thumb.j

• Like 1

"Travels with Boogie"  is two books in one. "500 Mile Walkies" and "Boogie Up the River" by Mark Wallington. (ISBN: 9780099503125)

Although the story "Boogie up the River" is about the Thames it's about camping on a small boat with a dog. The first story "500 mile walkies" needs to be read to introduce the characters and give you the feel for those involved.

I cannot recommend the book highly enough for some light reading.

Seems appropriate to this thread.

• Like 2

I am reading The Dinghy Cruising Companion at present. If you get it on Kindle it is about half price. Roger Barnes really creates an enthusiasm in the reader that I have not felt since reading Jack de Crow. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in this pure form of cruising.

Chris

I've only just looked at the link in Peter's original post. That is a truly awesome thing to do, something I might dream about but would never contemplate. Not even 30 years ago when I might have had a chance of coming through it intact. Respect is owed!

We were moored up at Barnby for the night, the idea being to walk up to the the Swan for a meal, when a large holiday boat pulled up astern of us. Turned out to be a holiday crew of homely, friendly Yorkshire folk who took great sympathy on our perceived plight. Did we want to come aboard & watch their TV? How could we cook on a camping stove, did we want to come aboard for a hot meal? Did we want to come aboard for a hot shower? Such lovely people, seemingly a Yorkshire trait, but how could anyone actually, voluntarily camp on a boat? We felt humbled by their uninhibited kindness & concern but eventually they accepted our assurances that we were comfortable and there by choice. As we waddled off to the pub we left them enjoying their TV, each to their own but I suspect that my wife had unanimous sympathy from the kind ladies of Yorkshire! One of those chance meetings that make the Broads what they are, a melting pot of decent folk.

• Like 4

I am reading The Dinghy Cruising Companion at present. If you get it on Kindle it is about half price. Roger Barnes really creates an enthusiasm in the reader that I have not felt since reading Jack de Crow. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in this pure form of cruising.

Chris

Excellent read, about a tenner on e-bay, worth every penny.

I`ve sometimes had the idea of getting an old dory, fitting it with a small economical 5hp 4 stroke outboard, and making a camping boat out of it. Being square bowed in shape would lend it ideal charachteristicks for a camping boat, and it would`nt be hard to fit it out with all the nessecary boards etc, and have an airbed which would be easy to roll up and stow. If i was on my own, i`d be happy to live out of tins, or have dried food, such as that old favourite "the Vesta Curry". My only concern would be to do with ablutions etc. Where would you go, and have a shower or wash, and what do you use as a toilet?.

The idea does definitely appeal to me, as i`d be quite happy to rough it, but DEFITELY NOT to Karen.

We once came across a guy solo sailing a 15ft Macwester Kelpie down the Ant, who later moored in front of us in Fleet dyke. I have to admit to being a tad envious of him, despite Karen and me being aboard Maffett cruisers Swallow at the time.

I seem to remember many years ago we were moored at Salhouse Broad, where i had a stroll along the bank and got chatting to a guy on a Jaguar 22. He`d hired it from a small yard in Horning, so when i got home, i searched for them on Google, and found them. It turned out they had a small range of small pocket yachts for hire ranging from 16ft ply yachts sleeping 2, up to the 22ft Jaguars, sleeping up to 5. I did have thoughts of hiring one once, but never took it any further.

These days, i have to consider Karens creature comforts, so it looks like it`s only ever going to be in my thoughts.

I have to say though, this is a good thread,, and makes you realise there`s a lot more to enjoy about the broads than just cruising around in a big spacious warm motor cruiser which has hot and cold running showers, colour tv + dvd and microwaves etc etc etc.

And some good piccy`s too. Thanks Peter.

Regards to all ............................. Neil.

• Like 1

Neil, I have an 11 foot dory with a 9.9 four stroke, Most of the time I pootle along at little over half throttle but there are times, in a blow on open water for example, when I'm glad of the extra power to lift the bow and cut down on the spray. In practical terms, with a suitable tent or cover I reckon a dory would make a darn good camping boat. Camping dinghies don't have to be sail powered! With the 9.9 I have battery charging which I suspect could be useful for camping, heated socks for example!

Re creature comforts a dory is stable, you will need a camping deck so as to keep your bedding dry. As to a privy. a porta potty or bucket and chuck it. As for personal hygiene, baby wipes in the winter, broads water in the summer. An angler's umbrella, one with sides, provides a quick shelter or modesty screen, otherwise it's an excuse to visit every pub that you pass, just to inspect the facilities you'll understand! As to cooking, pubs is good, but it's surprising what you can rustle up on a camping stove with a little imagination, and a visit to Lidl's canned meal dept. Marsh mushrooms, bacon & eggs, good cuppa, on an early morning, even when it's raining, takes some beating. 

• Like 2

JM - "Such lovely people, seemingly a Yorkshire trait"

I really dislike stereotyping. I am from Yorkshire and I am definitely not lovely.

Perhaps I should have written 'Generally such lovely people'. Got to say that in over 60 years on the Broads I have met quite a few Yorkshire folk, and I have met quite a few boatyard staff who think the same way, and it does seem that Yorkshire folk aren't such a bad lot, generally. Samuel, I am genuinely sorry if you find that in anyway offensive for that was not intended.

• Like 1

Some years ago, 2009 I think, we were moored at Horsey Mill and had walked to the little promontory overlooking the mere with a bottle of wine to watch the sunset.  As we sat there a Wayfarer dinghy came across the water, the only boat to be seen.  Eventually it sailed in to the reeds, just to the left of the viewpoint as you look out, rather than into the dyke.  An elderly gentleman then came walking from where the boat had moored and we got chatting with him.  Apparently every August for some years he had spent the entire month camping on the Wayfarer, pottering about the Broads, trying to minimise costs as far as possible (which is why he had not gone into the dyke where an overnight stay must be paid for).  He was off to use the NT shower facilities before settling down for the night under a boom tent.  Lovely chap.  Whenever I visit Horsey I think of him and wonder if he's still around. I took this photo at the time.

post-14321-0-84599100-1410072894_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hmmm, I am so glad Phill isn't reading this! :)

Rondonay (Swift 18) was a 'two man tent on water' as far as I was concerned, we spent weeks at a time on her to the disbelief of those in bigger boats; and while I made a boom tent for the Whimp (13'6") at Phill's request, 'because we could camp on it' there was no way I was planning to be that uncomfortable! :)

We always did camp, all over the UK and Western Europe, we did it a lot, especially when the children were small and we were broke; they were wonderful, back to nature holidays. I still like to keep things simple, but a bed I can sleep on and a loo are not really negotiable any more.

Life on Brilliant is soooo much more comfortable; and we can still wild moor but not in very small dykes, admittedly.

I've recently adapted the Whimp's boom tent to serve as a BBQ shelter too. Waste not... :)

I just hope Phill doesn't read this! Lol

• Like 3

Perhaps I should have written 'Generally such lovely people'. Got to say that in over 60 years on the Broads I have met quite a few Yorkshire folk, and I have met quite a few boatyard staff who think the same way, and it does seem that Yorkshire folk aren't such a bad lot, generally. Samuel, I am genuinely sorry if you find that in anyway offensive for that was not intended.

JM - Ta for the apology but I was more irritated than offended. At least your generalisation was a positive one!

Enought pontification from me and back to subject...............

In the seventies at the age of 18 me and my friend hired a Drascombe Lugger for a week on Loch Lomond. It had a simple boom tent but no other domestic facilities. I remember it cost us £14.

I don't know how we managed to sleep (i chose the cockpit sole) but we did. I don't think we had any foam mats, pilows etc. I do remember that my planning was not too good as I did not take any cooking utensils, plates, cutlery etc. Fortunately my friend, who was an experienced camper, had brought the basics. He would have his breakfast first then, after washing his bowl, knife and fork etc in the Loch, I would have mine.

I have no recollection what we ate but perhaps it was similar to the diet I had when I spent six weeks at the age of 16, mostly alone, on my family's 20' yacht on Windermere. Breakfast then was bacon butties and tea was fish and chips.

This is beginning to sound like a well known Monty Python sketch where the importance of cardboard boxes in the mythic Northern past plays a part.

• Like 1

At my age and state of decrepitude, I have a Elysian 27 at Oulton Broad. I had a boating holiday on the Great Ouse this summer with my youngest son. (Some of it, the Wissey and the Northern half of the Little Ouse are in Norfolk!)

Any road up, we were moored at Little Thetford and a canoe drew up at the far end of the mooring. About 20 mins later, a guy in a wheel chair was struggling along the rough terrain. He looked half done in, so we offered him a drink and got talking.

Turned out that he had been severely injured in a Kayaking accident but it hadn't stopped his boating. He had a tent and an inflatable canoe. He takes a bus or the train to somewhere on the river and canoes back.

Having him as an example makes me think I can do with less home comforts  So my idea of dinghy camping would be the attached. My middle lad, his wife and an idiot rottweiler had holidays on her!

• Like 2