Wayford Bridge

Maxwellian

Just got back from two weeks bliss on the Broads., looking forward to next years visit already. When we were handing back the boat this morning I had a chat to one of the other boats crew that had also been out for the last two weeks. He informed me that he had travelled up north and one of Richardsons boats had gone under Wayford bridge and got stuck. I had a quick look on the site expecting it to be posted with the normal photos etc, but nothing? Anyone know anything? I hope all were ok.

I would not be surprised if it was not "Princess" from Richos. That boat just clears the wood spar at the Dilham side if low water, or shall we say even lower water. However a family had been stuck the wrong side for over 24 hours and ships stores critical. We gathered about a dozen other holiday folks, got on their boat and we manhandled it back through with a coat of paint to spare. BTW, this was not the first time I have seen that happen to that particular boat! This was over 15 years ago.

Perhaps Mr Clive another notice warning of the dangers of that bridge may be in order for "Princess". I appreciate you put plenty of info on your boats, and no matter what height you show at the helm, skippers will still try to get the square peg into the round hole routine.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Ah yes, Wayford is a stealth bridge, that's to say it sneaks up on the unawares because it doesn't get talked about like Potter and Wroxham. Also it has those horrible dangling things on the upstream side which aren't easily visible until you're close. I'm surprised we don't hear of more mishaps there.

Ah yes, Wayford is a stealth bridge, that's to say it sneaks up on the unawares because it doesn't get talked about like Potter and Wroxham. Also it has those horrible dangling things on the upstream side which aren't easily visible until you're close. I'm surprised we don't hear of more mishaps there.

Although Wayford has a nice and simple straight topped opening, there's a big difference between the apparent air draught  as you enter from upstream or downstream, (because of the camber of the road that Iain mentioned.

The "horrible dangling thing" is quite a good safety feature, that shows the downstream clearance before you enter the upstream side.

Without that, it would be much easier for some boats to get tightly wedged underneath.

When you drive over the bridge there is quite a camber to the road, I think it is this that causes the difference in air draught and the wood hanging down is there to even things up.