You Can't Get Rid of Me!

Mowjo

Ah HMS Victory, my back aches at the thought of that amazing historic ship. I have never ducked n dived so much on a tour of a ship ever lol. The lower we went, the more my back put in a complaint! Those seamen must have been very small or had very hard heads!

But, in saying that, would not have missed going on her tour of the decks.

The Mary Rose was very interesting also. But Warrior I have to say was worth a inspection too. A great time can be had down Pompey way.

I wonder if they can still get the DNA of Horatio Nelson from the spot where the plaque states he fell. I doubt it very much.

Sorry to go off topic, but IF you are down in Hampshire do go to Pompey for a great day out!

cheers Iain.

Our easy wipe-clean jelly moulds will outlive all of the intricately constructed biodegradable beauties in a thousand years time.

I beg to differ - you show me or give me just ONE example of a jelly mould tupperware that is as old as the present HMS Victory - (and we have older models than her on display - Mary Rose for instance) 

Waiting . . . . . . . :naughty:

Griff

Ah, but most of the Victory that we have now is far newer than when she was built Griff.

I remember visiting Portsmouth back in the 70's and seeing all of the bow section missing, and most of the rigging.

Since she was dry-docked in 1922, almost all of her external timbers have been renewed:

"Although the vast majority of the ships external timbers have been replaced relatively recently it is believed that some of the early (and possibly original) timbers survive below decks - particularly at the lower levels"

from http://www.cricksmith.co.uk/whats_new/about/hms_victory/

Our sometimes ugly Tupperware hulks are quite likely to last for hundreds of years, even un-maintained in ugly dumped piles by the riverside.

The damn stuff is very difficult to get rid of.... :)

And just how much of those stick boats are original???  there might be a plank or two but I'll bet most of them have been restored using modern methods and timber from B&Q! just moor one of them next to my plastic pig for a few hundred years and we'll see which one survives, the only reason most of them exist is to keep unemployment down, just think of all those unemployed tradesmen that would be out of work, not much call for ships carpenters at the local job centres, facts are facts and Plastic Pigs will outlive stick boats every time, and lets face it when buying a boat we all look at stick boats and think! that's nice and with a bit of work that could be a beauty, but it will take me years to do and I'll have to sell the house to do it! with a plastic pig, you look at and just think that'll do, so we keep the economy moving and keeping brokers employed, I'm saying nothing but! to get my boat up to Judi and my standards has probably cost me 7k, mentioning no names Griff! a while ago I heard you had spent 60k getting BA up to yours, and from reading your threads you have spent a lot more since, my plastic pig is probably 20% wood, yours has taken a whole forest, that makes me a conservationist as well as a history maker,,

Frank,,,,    

Just a little update! as some of you know Crackers is up for sale and some of you saw the price I was asking, the price came about because a very well know Brokers valued it at 22k plus, and I thought it was usual broker bull to get me to sell the boat via them, so my plan was to sell it privately at a bit less, and if it didn't sell I'd put it with the broker, we were out and about looking at boats trying to see what's out there and what we like, we now have it down to three makes, Elysian 27, Seamaster 27 or 813, or Freeman 26, so far we have both fallen in love with the Freeman 26's but it's going to be finding the right one,  Sunday we saw a 26 for sale so popped in to look it over, nice boat but needs a bit of work but we can't do anything until ours sells, got talking to the yard owner about selling ours, he already knew the price we were selling it for but said he would like to see it as everyone thinks their boats are worth more than they really are, Monday he turns up with his valuer and they both tell me the boat is  under priced and gave me the same valuation as the other broker, and he shouldn't have any trouble selling it for that, he didn't know I'd been given the 22k plus price by the other broker, normally I would have stuck with my original price, but the difference in my value to theirs isn't just a few hundred it's a few thousand, someone on here said don't under sell your boat, I did! and if it gets anywhere near the new asking price it will give me a bit more to buy a new one, and as we all know even a extra 1k can buy you a whole different boat,,,

Frank,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

Frank the brokers have their finger on the market not only do the see both sides from a sellers or buyers perspective they know floating stock condition - I wish I would have took my brokers advice - I knew I was high end and the market was fairly good at the time but when he told me his valuation I could not believe it - I too thought it was to much ........how wrong was I

take the profit ............and buy two new projects :naughty:

finny

• Like 1

Finny! so far all of my last six boats have been sold through brokers, the longest took a week, the shortest was four hours, I tend to do a lot of research and looking at boats before I come up with a price I'm happy with taking into account their commission, apart from my old Freeman 23 most times, I'm told you'll be pushing it to get that, the Freeman they priced at 2k more than I thought I'd get, but everyone sold and made me a nice profit, I usually use the same broker and we know them quite well now, so when I look at their boats they are honest with me, and have even phoned me out of the blue to tell me they have a nice one in that would suit me, a couple of times this year they have asked if I wanted to sell mine and buy something, I think they like mine because they tend to sell quickly, the only reason I havn't used them this time is their commission is quite high and when you think all they do is take a few pictures, put it on their site and a few I could put it on for free they don't really do much to earn it, I don't begrudge anyone making a few bob, but for what they do for it seems a bit greedy, this time I've gone with a different one at 2% lower so we'll see how good they are, luckily I'm in no rush to sell her so if it takes too long I'll just keep her for another couple of years, it's just now she's all done I'll have nothing to do, and as I love messing about, changing things and getting it the way I want I'm going to get bored and drive Judi mad,,,

Frank,,,,