Bucket List - MTB102

There is now less than 1 x week to wait for an adventure I've been looking forward to for almost a year.

I've organised a few get together s with MTB102, been onboard a few times but never whilst she is underway.

That is about to change.

Thursday 11th Sept, late evening after work and driving down to Lowestoft,  myself, Bro' DollyD and Russ will arrive onboard MTB102.

Friday at 0700 we sail (as crew, not passengers) for St Kats dock in London. due to lock in at around 1700.  All day Sat/Sun it is the Thames Festival weekend, we are to be tour guides etc.

Monday 15th early morning, sail MTB102 back to Lowestoft.

I'm like a dog with two tails! and now counting down the hours, never mind the days.  It is such a privilege and honour to be onboard her what with her history and the like.

Whilst at St Kats Dock - I intend to visit the Tower and see the growing ceramic poppy display. - Other than that I shall be in the dock for the weekend enjoying all things 'Boaty'

Griff

post-65-0-43915200-1409985575_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hey you guys - Tks for the best wishes.  The camera will be fully charged and ready for action - if only I could figure out how to take video's - no excuse really as it is the same one LondonRascal uses. I'll certainly do my best and do a follow write up on here.  It is also nice to be able to use the 'Sea' word without being pilloried or given a black hood!

Griff

• Like 9

We visited the Tower of London today as Sara wanted to see the poppies. I suggested that we had lunch at St Katherine's as it was just across the road. It was not until we got there that she caught on that I only wanted to walk around and look at the boats. Enjoyed it so much, lunch was not bad too. Have a good voyage.

Be good to see you all and MTB102 'in my manner'. 

I'll have to show you how to shoot video too I spose, oh and show some Yorkshire men some decent pubs (though it is London so your need a second mortgage naturally) and can give you  bit of history along the way :)

Hope you have a safe passage and a great time too!

I'm like a dog with two tails! and now counting down the hours, never mind the days.  It is such a privilege and honour to be onboard her what with her history and the like.

Whilst at St Kats Dock - I intend to visit the Tower and see the growing ceramic poppy display. - Other than that I shall be in the dock for the weekend enjoying all things 'Boaty'

Griff

Griff, Hi. To say I'm envious would be an understatement! (PM coming now!)

could you advise when (ish) you will be passing under the bridge at dartford, as I cross under in the mornings and over the top evenings on the way home (between about 5.15 and 6.00pm most days depending upon traffic, so would possibly stand a chance of spotting you (I now work just 6 miles from said bridge on the north side) or possibly stand a chance of nipping out for a short break (lunch time) to get some pictures.

Grendel

It was an ancient mariner a Yorkshire man was he,

He said to wife on one fine day let's have a C-in-C.

I think we'll go on bumpy stuff, it's sure to be a thrill.

The wife she looked right doubtful, but she said, ' Alright I will'.

Now there was loads of others all keen to go as well,

But no one thought their happy plan was set to give 'em hell.

Complaints was here, complaints was there,

Complaints was all around,

Whoever thought his little plan

Would set off so much sound?

He polished boat up nicely especially the horn,

And planned to go to Yarmouth one bright and sunny morn.

To make sure all went safely, like, when they had got to sea,

He asked for a torpedo boat, a nice big MTB

But little did our sailor know that fate had took a hand,

Oh, he could get to Mutford, but he couldn't get to land.

The lock was barred against him fast, it were a funny do,

Fact is, he wasn't happy, and neither was the crew.

I doubt our trusty matelot will leave next time to chance,

He pretty good at thinking up solutions in advance.

If gates are locked the next time, he'll know just what to do,

'Cos both tubes will be loaded in good old 102!

• Like 21

Charlie, as you sit, contemplating such matters that need contemplating, on the 1930's vintage porcelain, you will be where other famous posteriors have sat, passing the time of the day. If you look carefully you can still see the scorch marks left by Ike's cigar butt-end as he tore of another strip of WD grade Bronco.

I will be watching here - https://www.marinetraffic.com/ as MTB 102 is on there (I even managed to follow her recent movements from yarmouth to lowestoft over the weekend). Having had a good look at the maps of the banks of the Thames I think I may well be stationed at Tilbury Fort to watch them pass by (I have already arranged to have my lunch 'hour' whenever is most convenient that day). tilbury is a good few minutes closer than purfleet from work

Grendel

• Like 1