Regional TV

MauriceMynah

It has long been an irritation to me that where I live, the digital signal comes from London, and all the news is from south of me. When I watch the news on the boat, I get Anglia TV, which even covers the area where I live.

My question  to all TV geeks is this...

Is there any way I can get Anglia TV on my freeview telly at home?

Cable TV is not an option because no-one will lay a cable to our house as it is awkwardly positioned.

....Is there any way I can get Anglia TV on my freeview telly at home?

Yes, there is a relatively easy way to receive every UK region TV from any regional area, but by Freesat, rather than Freeview.

Freeview is received via terrestrial masts that only broadcast the local region's stations for that geographic area.

Freesat however, is broadcast from Satellite, which sends out every regional variation, and is receivable anywhere in the UK.

You need a Freesat receiver box and a satellite dish, but you don't have to join Sky or pay any subscription to them. The equipment is quite cheap nowadays, (less than a hundred quid), and portable camping versions even appear at places like LIDL and ALDI from time to time. The dish doesn't have to be mounted on the roof, it just needs a clear view of the sky to the South East, and can usually be mounted low down on a wall.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GB2YNJK?psc=1

Good morning on this grey overcast day (or it is South of the M4!)

I will now put the 'cat amongst the pigeons' by saying that I always choose by choice to tune into our local 'Beeb' etc when on our travels.  The reason being that we, IMHO, have the best one.  This is because we have satellite both at home and in the caravan.  It is a frustration when on the boat, as it is for the eastern area and as MM says it does not cover Norfolk that well, but mostly for the more southern area.  

It is a shame but that appears to be the way the country is broken down.  Like most other things it appears that everything 'stops at London' and the rest of the country is a poor relation!

I now have my hard hat on and brolley raised waiting for the fall-out ............

SueH

• Like 2

Here's a photo I've just taken of the list showing some of the BBC regional channels from my Freesat box.

The channel showing in the background was Yorkshire BBC, though it was some boring programme about football, so no different from here in Norfolk at the moment.

There are similar wide choices for the ITV regional channels too. The channel numbers can vary with exactly how you choose to set up your set-top box.

...and this is all via Freesat, so no need to pay any Sky subscriptions.

I'm far too stingy to waste potential boating funds on pay TV. :)

post-195-0-32414000-1410001397_thumb.jpg

Yes there is a way to do it over a normal aerial.  (A tv / aerial installer told me how to do this)  Set your tv to auto tune, then standby the co-ax, when the channel number approaches the regional tv station you want to ignore, pull out the co-ax then when it has scanned past that channel(s) plug it back in again.  This way it will tune to what is available - it worked when he did it for us.

Hope this helps,

Griff

P.S - It is so nice to be able to assist / discuss  with forumites off topic of the Broads now and again

• Like 1

we were fine on the spare tv in the bedroom, we could just about get bbc1 and bbc2 through the aerial, then we went digital, now I can only use that tv when plugged into the laptop, and have to watch bbc online or sky go. I have tried several different digital aerials, but no - none of them can pick up freeview. we were almost the last place in the uk to go digital, as we are in a geological bowl surrounded by hills, they put in a new transmitter next to the old one as a repeater to bounce the signal into the bowl,. the old aerial used to point along the wall to get a signal, to get a signal the new aerial needs to point to a spot that means the signal has to travel through about 40 ft thickness of brick.

its a good job we have bt infinity as our internet usage is over 1000Gb a month now (through watching online tv)

Grendel

P.S - It is so nice to be able to assist / discuss  with forumites off topic of the Broads now and again

Griff,                                                                                                                                                        

I said the same here, and i've ended up a Mod :naughty: you have been warned lol. The Lounge is the place for that and with Grace and others can end up other places also. :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Do you have other TVs Grendel you phrase your post as if you do. If so how are the others behaving?

yes we have several, one downstairs has sky, as has one bedroom(on the same box using a remote sensor) the other 2 use sky go to get most things, plus I use sky go on my laptop downstairs, when I want to watch something different. 

the others cant get freeview either.

Grendel

Before the Freeview changeover to digital we had such a poor signal where i live, so I went and paid £280 including installation for Freesat, great picture HD regional from all over wonderful.

Two months before the change over we were told we would be getting a new transmitter in out town.

Guess where 250 mtrs from my bloody front door

Freeview on Tv great picture HD no regional though so I paid £280 to watch Anglia

Grendel

Supposing from your description you are somewhere in the deepest of the valley between Canters and Barham

Lots of problems around that area.

Mate of mine worked in Comet in Canterbury and they sold loads of Freesat to people that way

You can pick up boxes for about £35 on Ebay and dishes for £30 now

• Like 1

I too am plagued by TV from the wrong county...instead of that London though, here in Lincolnshire Proper it's either all about somewhere called 'Yorkshire'...or somewhere called 'Hull and Grimsby'. Both channels are all about flat hats and ferrets. Shifting the antenna it was somewhere called 'Midlands' which did occasionally have something on about the Lincoln area and a bit further south...but the presenters seemed to have problems with words like 'Tuesday' which seemed to come out 'Toosdi'.

I no longer have Television...instead I've turned to Radio...however I've discovered something magical about that...after tea the whole of the UK merges into one place! And when it gets dark outside... the airwaves are full of middle aged lonely people or couples, who I can imagine wearing matching anoraks sitting on the sofa, phoning radio stations...its like a seance "is there anybody there".

• Like 3

"P.S - It is so nice to be able to assist / discuss  with forumites off topic of the Broads now and again"

I said the same myself on a couple of occasions Griff.

"The Lounge is the place for that and with Grace and others can end up other places also."

I cannot imagine what you mean Iain, we never go off thread. :liar:naughty:

"It is a shame but that appears to be the way the country is broken down.  Like most other things it appears that everything 'stops at London' and the rest of the country is a poor relation!"

We agree Sue and one particular irriation that sticks out runs along the lines of when Birmingham and Manchester were trying to get the Olympics, silence. When it is London going for the Olympics up pipes Lord Coe with "we must all get behind this".

Hmm usual culprits :naughty:  Oh dear here is I going off thread also...oops Keith hope you and the good lady had a nice holiday, and Grace I must have been thinking of another Grace that goes off topic, you don't ....do you? :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

P.S. Err Keith...who is Lord Coe?  :naughty:

• Like 1