Hi thought I had joined years ago but no

FairTmiddlin

Im also glad I had a chance to defend myself & clarify the situation, plus let some good friends know why I've been quiet,,,,,, In addition to these issues I did receive a vicious personal attack online, 100% directed at me, even racist comments have been made.   So for me it just seemed the best time to depart.........., before I started to take the forum seriously! :-)

I obviously have a business on the broads and despite using the forum for personal reasons, I'am always very careful to only help people with 'unbiased' information.......,  
Unfortunately however, its not always possible as people track you down or get recommendations etc, or turn up at the yard with a breakdown saying we spoke on the forum!! etc etc 

So therefore I always prefer to pay/contribute a small regular amount towards the running costs of the forum to say thank you for the enquiry/contact,  or we are quite happy to pay for an advert etc...whatever suits the NBN, so just let me know in due course if we can help in anyway.

Looking forward to reading the many different subjects, which seem to be increasing daily.

All the best for the future

Jason hatch
SOS247 Ltd / Ludham Bridge Boatyard

• Like 4

Jason

I don't know you except by reputation, but hope you won't take what I'm about to say amiss. In my experience (and I run an online business, so have some first-hand knowledge), for any business to participate in social media in general and forums in particular involves a two-edged sword with the sharper blade aimed at your neck. For my part I welcome you here unreservedly and I know that many forum members will benefit from your expertise. I'm new over here myself and everything I've seen so far indicates that this is a very well-run place so please don't misunderstand me, but please be careful!

I always regarded Jason's involvement with forums as extremely fair to all parties involved. A good relationship between commercial interests and forums can develop, Jason's is just one such business. However, largely down to hard work and commitment, Jason's deserved success and subsequent popularity appears to have upset one or two.

• Like 4

Hi Jason

I am so, so sorry to read of the vicious and racist attack you were subjected to, there is no place for this on any Forum or indeed any walk of life, I am totally disgusted

I have been a member of this Forum for nearly a year and have not witnessed any nastiness from any member and from the way the Mods perform it would not be tolerated.

I do wish you well and hope you become an active member. As well as the brilliant knowledge from most of the members we also have some fun and friendly banter (Iv'e even been accused of flirting on occasion lol) All the very best to you and your family

Grace

• Like 5

Thank you for your kind comments,  plus the very warm welcome to the NBN forum.

We enjoy what we do, helping & meeting new boating friends/customers is a big part of our job...We are not perfect, but who is?,  However we do try our best with every thing we do, and we enjoy it.........Its just a lifestyle for us.

Having fun & some banter is something we do 'daily'. 'Flirting' is also something we enjoy, however the photo of you holing a big wet fish has limited appeal for me..........!!! :-)

Regards
Jason

• Like 5

When Boatyards and Boat Professionals participate in forum discussions the depth of knowledge and experience can increase dramatically, and yet stay clear of blatant advertising.

Over the past ten years most of them have attempted to participate in forums, but most have eventually drifted away, probably discouraged by the treatment of their Peers.

I hate advertising in general, especially TV adverts etc! However, I understand the need for businesses to 'spread the word', which is perfectly okay in small doses.

What i do also hate is when businesses say "we are the best" & "we are the only ones who know what we are doing" etc etc........ This is a style of advertising which I dislike the most,..... especially on chat forums...!!!

I know as a 'business' I would gain customers from being involved in a forum, but its no different
if I was a builder and I started to go to the pub every night....Over several months someone in the pub will get to know Im a builder & then ask me if I could build a garage extension for them etc.......

Its exactly because of this, I prefer to pay something towards the forum, either by donation or advert whatever suits the forum owner...... If I was in the pub I would buy the landlord a drink for passing on my details..........its just how things work in life.

Regards
Jason

PS - Im unsure how to edit my posts so the 'fish holing' will have to stay!!! Made you smile anyway! :-)

• Like 3

Sad to see and hear about what has happened on the other forum and the attacks on its members ( and our friends)... but so glad to see those move over to here.... yippee... we did feel really outnumbered flying our NBN burgee on the northern side but im sure there are soon to be plenty more flying....

When Boatyards and Boat Professionals participate in forum discussions the depth of knowledge and experience can increase dramatically, and yet stay clear of blatant advertising.

Over the past ten years most of them have attempted to participate in forums, but most have eventually drifted away, probably discouraged by the treatment of their Peers.

I think Strowager is quite correct, and it is an issue not unique to Broads forums. Having members who own, manage or work in Broads businesses is a huge asset to a forum such as this and I hope that Jason stays around. I've noticed that a few other Broads businesses are long-term members here, so hopefully that augurs well!

I’ll use this thread to say thanks for those who enjoy following my travels and Blogs – over the years I try to always improve and add to them and it is always nice to know people enjoy watching them – even rediscovering the Broads after a period of absence through watching a video I’ve made.  You might even have a chuckle as you read on...

Fear not there will be a lot more ‘as it happens’ shared with you all here in time.  I may not be Delia and put a run on Eggs when she bakes something, but I will endeavour to encourage my viewers to join a forum where there just feels more space to spread your wings shall we say.

As far as matters with forums go generally, I could have replied more to my post ‘over there’ but would that help?  I doubt it just add further fuel to the fire and sometimes in life you just have to let the fire burn and walk away.

It is I feel foolish when the clatter of unease amongst your most prevalent posters and contributors gets louder and louder and ‘the management’ - if you wish to call it that, continue to turn a blind eye – do not change and worse still seem unable to understand what exactly is going on.  It is times like that where clear leadership is needed and a willingness to listen, and change.

Together though in recent days there has been a swell of activity here, long may it continue and I think the team who run the NBN should be patted on the back. 

It is much like a village with three pubs – a large one a medium sized one and a tiny one.  The largest was the Norfolk Bitten & Fox- a great hive of activity – it was near the Clock Tower and Duck Pond and people naturally came to it as a first point of call.  They had a quiz night and all sorts of things would be going on in there whatever the day of the week.  The medium sized pub, Norfolk Boar & Nymph was really much nicer more cosy and friendly place, but being down the lane it did not attract as much passing trade and things may be a little quieter there.  The smallest pub alas, the Norfolk Blacksmith & Owl - well it was nice and all but you were never quite sure what would be going on or when it may be open so you tended to not pop along unless there was an occasion they were putting on like an awards do.

One day the Norfolk Bitten & Fox got involved in some tie up with a new brewery and went from serving good fine Ales to new fangled larger and imported French stuff, the Landlord did not seem to be about as much as once and those who were behind the bar tended to get very much more dominant and telling the locals to ‘keep it down’ in latter times they were made to feel more unwelcome than the new drinkers who were passing through.

While this was going on, down the lane at the Norfolk Boar & Nymph they had made some changes – redecorated, got these new ‘faster pouring’ Ale pumps all shiny and new – even the Bar looked a lot sleeker and newer than the Norfolk Bitten & Fox’s and many a local would complain about the slowness of being pulled a pint and sometimes the pumps just giving up completely!  But you know the Norfolk Boar & Nymph just carried on doing their thing, and as people popped in from the Norfolk Bitten & Fox they were made to feel welcome – not pushed to stay or told the place was better than the larger pub and that along with the surroundings made people come back, more and more.  I hear it be said you were even allowed to recall tales of the salty high seas there.

Alas, the Norfolk Blacksmith & Owl remains the place you pop into for a quick half – nothing really wrong with it, but never really anyone there to share a tale or two over a drink but none the less would be missed if they ever were to close so I always make a point of popping along to help keep things ticking over.

I doubt the Norfolk Bitten & Fox will close, the brewery has some good connections that seem to intervene whenever things get a bit tight and what with the new management and European fizzy stuff there is always going to be people who prefer that – which is fine, but it is nice to see the Norfolk Boar & Nymph doing a good trade and making the locals have a good warm place to gather and talk over the days goings on.

• Like 14

The thought of racist comments to Jason has, because I sometimes have an obscure sense of humour, set me smiling. Us locals do get comments, and sometimes they can be amusing. It's well worth watching Canary-Call on You-Tube, yes, we do deserve those comments, sometimes. Local Yokels, Straight Family Trees, Carrot Crunchers, we still go 'arrrr' when an aeroplane flies overhead, we are slow, never do today what we could do tomorrow and so on. Mind you, on the other hand I do have a few crackers about city folk so the balance is easily righted, ho ho ho!

Mind you, on the other hand I do have a few crackers about city folk so the balance is easily righted, ho ho ho! 

Bit early for Christmas JM  :naughty:  But I can see where you are coming from, having waited for over an hour to get diesel at a boatyard one day, they DO like LONG tea breaks! :naughty:

cheers Iain.