Beccles old bridge

deebee29

Hi all

We will be back down for a week from 27th September (and can't wait)

We have been coming to the Broads for many years but never been up through Beccles old bridge.

This time we have booked a Magic Gem and were wondering if anyone knows if it will go though (tides permitting of course)

I have found the bridge clearance charts but can't find the boat air draught.

Failing all else I could phone Richardsons but am sure someone on here will know.

Thanks in advance

David

• Like 2

Hi David,

I'm sure others will reply.. although I get my parents boat through which is 8.6.. this is a low water and low rain though..

It's a lovely stretch though.. you can sit on the front of the boat and watch the fish below as the water is clear! Stop at the locks inn too at Geldestone.. Best pub on the broads. 

cheers

• Like 1

The Locks inn, excellent food and beer. Just one point, they are not on the mains, but do have a generator, so don't expect them to take credit cards for payment, cash no problem. No internet WiFi either.

They don't serve food all day, between lunch and evenings, there is a window of a few hours in the afternoon where you have to have a drink or three waiting... It's a hard life lol. Nice open garden.

Moorings are limited, but most people who moor there are very friendly and squeeze up as much as they can.

Also some nice walks from there too.

• Like 1

As others have said, it's a nice cruise and worth doing. When you get to the end of the river there is a T junction. Turn left for the Locks Inn. If you turn right, it is very narrow with not much room to turn and is a dead end at the old bridge. I think there is space to moor a boat up there but that's about it.

• Like 1

As others have said, it's a nice cruise and worth doing. When you get to the end of the river there is a T junction. Turn left for the Locks Inn. If you turn right, it is very narrow with not much room to turn and is a dead end at the old bridge. I think there is space to moor a boat up there but that's about it.

Good advice Mark. I ventured up Geldeston Dyke a couple of years ago and had difficulty turning even with bow thrusters. It seems to have become more overgrown in recent years. The Locks arm is fine.

We went up geldeston dyke a couple of weeks ago and it was fine, no problem turning a 31' boat with dinghy on davits, just use the entrance of the marina cut to give more room.

We need 8' headroom and sneaked through with the downstream gauge board reading just over 7'9" but the tide was against so gave a safer bale-out plan, leave plenty of headroom if going with the tide to be safe as a handful of reverse will cause the boat to lift in the water.

Saw an otter near the entrance to geldeston dyke so worth the visit.

There is another pub in the village up the dyke but it's closed on mondays.

• Like 1

Just to add.. we have only managed to get under the bridge once on my folks boat (and shes marked as 8.6 but is really 8feet) the once we went under I was very nervous  and we got back under on the same tide (I didn't dare stay overnight).. apparently my mum was nervous too (Mission accomplished! lol)..

However before we went under we spoke at length with the harbour masters at beccles who assured it was ok (prior they advised it was a no goer).. (Parents don't know this bit - hahahaha!) I understand they live there and do understand the river through there.. so if your boat is close to 8 feet I highly advise having a good chat to them before you under... (But its well worth it!!). cheers

I have been under the bridge many times. Mostly to use the floating pontoon mooring at the swimming pool to shorten the walk up into town.

If you leave that mooring carry on a wee bit, turn round and return back up that streach of river you get this kind of view.

post-18022-0-79296200-1410209703_thumb.jpost-18022-0-75548300-1410209733_thumb.jpost-18022-0-88855500-1410209750_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

I think we will be worth giving this a try.

Alan your comment about talking to the Harbour Master is good advice, i will definately do this.

I've seen pictures of similar looking boats through, the boat seems to be 6’9 so should manage if the conditions are right.

If all else fails Beccles is always worth a visit so it wouldn't be a wasted trip if we didn't get through.

I'll let you know how we get on

David

Ps. Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks stunning

If you are unsure of getting back under the bridge time your visit a couple of days before a full spring tide and the next low tide should always drop lower than the one you go under on, go at full or new moon and you should have a couple of days to play with, unless heavy rainfall is forecast of course.

I've done this for drying creeks so I know if I go aground the next flood will lift me off and not leave me stuck on the mud for a couple of weeks, I know someone that got caught for a month like this.

We have taken thunder through loads of times and she is 6foot 10. When the tides are right can you get you there for lunch and back under on the same tide.

I don't know exactly ( and it would change daily depending on the tide) but I would reckon you could pass under upto 2 hours before and 2 hours after low tide.

We went through for the night a couple of weeks ago, the boat was 6:09. Plenty of room about an hour before and after low tide. We berthed (just for Griff) on Geldeston Dyke, turning the boat in the entrance to the marina. Lovely stretch. We saw lots of kingfishers on our early morning trip back to Beccles. Recommend it.