Which way would you go ?

We have whats turned out to be a very trusty 4108,considered a change whilst the boat was being restored ,but decided to stop throwing money into the river and hang fire on a new engine for a couple of years, will still show many a boat a clean transom over Breydon when asked but I think this is more the genius of Martham hull design than the motor fitted, would be nice if it was just a bit more relaxing though.

Perhaps Jason or Jon can answer this,

After a lottery win I'd be looking at a boat along the lines of Brinks's centre cockpit 48 footer (can't remember it's name!)

The tricky bit is that I'd like 3 Nanni or Beta engines fitted. the centre one for normal broads cruising, with all three for salty work.

Is my pipe dream feasable?

"They used all 3 engines at sea and cut to 1 on the estuary and river to the moorings."

A couple of years ago we were in Koh Samui, Thailand and it was not uncommon to see 30 - 35' cruisers with 3 200hp outboards, that would get the cheeks flapping I would think.  Common place to see such cruisers with 2 200hp engines.

a 'wing' engine plus the two main engines is very common however hull design is very relevant to this.

retro fitting in a hull which was not designed for this engine lay out is a bit more tricky.  

A decent lottery will of course make the project completely viable, so just let me know when your numbers come up MM!! 

regards

j

• Like 3

I can't remember the boat sadly, but I do remember some time back seeing on a Brokers site a boat with three engines - I thought this was odd when I saw a triple throttle binnacle control on the helm.

It was a displacement boat and the two larger engines port and starboard with the smaller engine where you would normally find it - in the middle. 

Anything is possible - I below is a video from Sweden where someone with a great deal of money was unhappy with their Fairline boat only being 36ft long, so had the boat extended to 42ft simply long so they could have their dinghy sit on the swim platform but still leave plenty of space for outside entertaining in the aft cockpit.  Oh and have a stern thruster fitted too.

Watch how they did that here:

If you are in the business of super yachts instead of looking into fancy new propulsion techniques and hybrids, to save fuel costs the fit outs are featuring more carbon fire and aluminium and generally where possible saving weight.  That is easy to do without a lot of research to be done - thus smaller engines can be fitted saving fuel (client likes that) but giving the boat the same top speeds (client also likes this) and the costs of the more expensive materials used - well everyone likes carbon fibre and 'aircraft grade aluminium' right?  I mean it just sounds faster.

So even if you have the money like Eddie Jordan who spent £32 million - have a look at his interview about it here:

If you have such money to spend on a new yacht you're going to have the added resources to pay for crew and fuel - so why go to the bother of being 'green'? 

What it needs is for some millionaire geek/app developer to buy a boat and one day have a bit of a brain wave as to how new tech and ideas can be incorporated and come up with something outside the norm as far as design and propulsion goes - and while they're at it come up with new fancy navigational equipment that could be controlled from your watch and call it something like 'smart boat' or the iBoat.

Once you get those in San Francisco thinking they can make money through technology, improve  the environment and showing off the sky is the limit.  After all, who would think an Internet search engine would one day make driverless cars?

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

When we went to the 2000 boat show Eddie Jordans boat was there to promote the Sunseeker sales, needless to say it was by invitation only, we thought we had done well to be allowed on their tiered display late in the day, the biggest of these were I think just under 2 million.

The outcome of the 2000 show that 8 boats similar Eddie Jordans were placed on their order book before the end of the show.

Who says money at the time was in short supply.

Regards
Alan

Right I think we have solved MMs problem. Once he has won the Lottery, he has only one problem left. HOW to get it through that bridge back to his mooring! :naughty:

cheers Iain

Iain, Have you not heard  two of my other lottery win projects?

The Walter Mitty  Barton Catfield & Hickling Canal, and

The Potter Heigham Bypass Canal.

If I'm not allowed to build either/both of those then it's a quick word with Jason and/or Clive to have the superstructure modified to enable the boat to get under when the bridge shows 6'6"

I suppose however, that with the three engines, the bridge could do the conversion if I spend long enough in the Broadshaven!

• Like 1