Green Boats

JennyMorgan

Another 'green boat', moored not far from the other one. Presumably tolls, moorings etc have been paid yet, once again, here is another sadly neglected boat:

RiverWaveney2014003.jpg

What a waste, nightmare cleaning job too. Just hope that the owners don't just turn up hoping to find her as they left her!

But think of the rampaging polyestermite having been left to their own devices, locked aboard with no other food!

External cleaning might be easy, and successful, but I dread to think what they'll be like down below, especially if there has been a lack of ventilation. Don't know that engines or upholstery thrive on neglect. Am afraid that there are green woodies too, even more sad.

It's not so much the green that I find sad, more that owners haven't, for whatever reason, been able to use their boats.

• Like 2

......But think of the rampaging polyestermite having been left to their own devices, locked aboard with no other food!.........

If only there were such a mythical creature Peter, the growing number of unwanted fibreglass "skeletons" could rot away like good old biodegradable wood, and not become a blot on the landscape.   :rolleyes: 

I quite agree with your point of view though, and the theme of your thread.

The majority of private boats do get sadly neglected, too many people have money to waste it would seem.

Hi Strowager,

I quite agree regarding the number of boats that are hardly used not only on the Broads but nation wide.

We used to have a time share cottage at Windermere Marina Village that overlooked all the boats in the marina, a few were taken out at the weekends but the vast majority of them just stood in the marina, there were corporate boats there such as Toys r us and the poorly named boat "I got it robing".

Over the years we were there the Management tried to launch a syndicate boat a Birchwood 340AC, the trouble was that they pitched the deal wrong and as always were asking too much £16000 for a four week share and money each year into a sinking fund and a very high management fee, within a season the boat looked similar to the boats in Peters pictures.

As you said with some people it is more money than sense.

I always tended to walk around the marina and look at the boats especially those were for sale, a pipe dream maybe, saving very hard at the time maybe I could have bought a smaller boat, but I would have never been able to afford to moor a boat there. The price for mooring suitable for a 30 foot boat  would have £5000 plus for 8 months, water & electric for the other 4 months was then negotiable, these prices were in 2000, I hate to think what they are now.

Regards

Alan 

I quite agree about many of the exorbitant mooring fees around the UK Alan.

Most Coastal Marina charges  are now several thousand a year for average size craft.

I guess the Broads will gradually creep up to those levels, given the gradual but seemingly inexorable rise in boat ownership, chasing an almost fixed number of moorings.

My boat looked worse than that when, in a moment of madness, i bought her. I'm gradually getting her back to her best, but I'm not only contending with neglect but poor attempts at diy as well. It's a long hard slog but very rewarding (so i'm told)

Re the cost of moorings, just a slight deviation from the original topic, they must be prohibitive for so many.When I look around at the unused marsh around the Broads, although I can guess the answer, I do wonder why just one or two can't be flooded so as to provide budget moorings for budget boaters.

In a nutshell why own a boat if you are not going to use it? Mind you, think of the congestion if they did!

I'm gradually getting her back to her best, but I'm not only contending with neglect but poor attempts at diy as well. It's a long hard slog but very rewarding (so i'm told)

The poor attempts at DIY I can very much sympathise with. We are forever finding parts of Royal Tudor where someone has cobbled together a repair in the past that now with Brundall Navy's help and advice I'm realising would have been much easier and cheaper to repair properly and would not have resulted in such a big job in the future.

I have to say that I'm feeling quite a buzz at the prospect of being able to do future jobs myself and looking forward to when I can take the boat on her first trip all restored and decked out.

• Like 2

Timbo - I couldn't agree more about bodgery! One of the previous owners of No Worries must have had a large reel of domestic earth cable, the back of her dashboard was a symphony in green and yellow! It made fault finding a real voyage of discovery - I'm so glad I already had an AVOmeter with long leads lol

• Like 2

I too am saddened by seemingly abandoned/terminally neglected boats.I cannot understand why people continue to pay mooring charges etc for boats they never use or intend doing anything with.

There are a lot of people that would love to take them on that can possibly afford to pay the moorings and do repairs/maintenance themselves but can't afford the capital outlay to buy.I'm thinking GRP rather than wood. Surely the owners could 'cut their losses' and pass the boats on for a nominal amount and give them a chance of survival? Or am i asking too much of human nature?

• Like 1

Some of these boats could be owned by quite elderly owners who are reluctant to see them go.

We have featured in the past a few stories of boats that were damaged by intruders and the owners could not afford to have the boats repaired, the saddest ones have involved outboards cut away from the transoms.

Regards

Alan

True enough,i hadn't considered the sentimental attachment side.

Personally speaking, i know that when it comes to pass that I'm too old/infirm/gaga to use my own boat(GRP sailie thing) I'll find it hard to let her go,unless it's to be replaced with a more manageable cruiser.