Todays Picture

I've scanned through the forums looking for a "picture of the day" type of thread.

That's to say, not attributed to any specific poster, but just an ongoing thread with updates from anyone, so there should be at least one new photo a day to maybe stir memories of the Broads.

This seems to be the nearest existing thread, though it's been dormant for a couple of years.

Here's one of my efforts, taken alongside the Bure Valley Railway between Wroxham and Coltishall, whilst riding along on a glorious May morning.  It's a very enjoyable bike ride which I've cycled many times.

Hi Strowager,

I have moved your post to a new location, I like the idea of a having a picture of the day again.

Regards

Alan

post-195-0-18730300-1410244120_thumb.jpg

Edited by ranworthbreeze
Moved to a new location

Hi Timbo,

No it is separate. Strowagers photo is of the Bure Valley Railway which is a 15" guage miniature railway that runs for 9 miles from Wroxham to Aylesham. There is a very good pathway all the way alongside the line so you can walk or cycle the whole way. People often walk or cycle one way and get the train back. The station is the opposite side of the road to the main line Wroxham / Hoveton station.

More details here,

www.bvrw.co.uk

Why can`t I see these pictures??

I can see what you mean, it depends on whether you're logged in or not.

When not logged in, I can see a text file link, but when clicked it says I don't have permission to view it.

When I'm logged in, I get the thumbnail image and I can click it to see the full size picture.

Strange thing though, it's only on this thread, because I can see the photos ok on the other threads whether I'm logged in or not.

Presumably it's one of the admin settings for each thread.

Hello John, I will check it out.

Strowager,

I set the rights so that full members can upload, but members should be able to see it.

Regards

Alan

Yes indeed Alan, no argument there, I was just saying that you can't see the photos at all on this thread if you're not logged in as a member, whereas you can see the photos on most of the other threads, whether you're logged in or not.

Try logging out and viewing as an anonymous guest.

Hello Stowager,

Guests or validating groups can only see the topics but not the pictures, I thought that to be a wise course of action as well as not being able to upload or download images!

We have to protect the forum, every potential validating members ip has to be checked before we let them onto the forum.

Moderators have to deal with spammers trying to get onto the forum every day, as Iain said the other day he is getting mouse clickers finger :naughty:

Regards

Alan

.....Guests or validating groups can only see the topics but not the pictures,......

I'm sorry to keep on about it Alan, but anonymous guests can view all of the photos on most of the threads.

It's just one or two threads (like this one)  where they can't.

As I say, try logging out and viewing the various threads as an anonymous guest and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not sure that hiding photos from Guests is a good thing actually.  It's debatable whether it makes them join to see them, or discourages them because they can't see the full visual benefit as a guest....

It's a tactic that's been tried elsewhere, and doesn't seem to have increased their membership.

Had the same thing stow, and agree don,t think it,s a very good idea , most guests wouldn,t bother with joining just to see the pictures, and may feel excluded and not visit again?

Yes indeed DF, very few forums restrict photos to members only, and it's always put me off joining them.

The situation here is confusing to anonymous guests as well, being able to see most of the photos, but not all.

It must be partially restricted in the admin settings.

Nice pictures everyone and a good idea.

"(I really must take that train trip on our next visit to Wroxham)."

It is a nice trip John, I think you will enjoy it when you get around to it.

Starting to get paranoid about typos now! :)