Murky Waters - Jack Fellows Returns

kfurbank

Have just had notification from Chris Crowther that the fifth and latest Jack Fellows murder mystery has been released. Apparently the book has been out for four weeks or so, but due to hackers doing damage to his website he has had to have a new one created which came on line a few days ago. You can now order the latest in the series from,

www.chriscrowther.co.uk

Bit early for Christmas, think it will have been read by then. Enjoy, all the others have been excellent.

• Like 1

I seem to remember hearing about this author but can't recall any details. Are his books worth reading? If they're murder mysteries how do they stack up against Reginald Hill, PD James, Colin Dexter etc? Or are they more Agatha Christie?

Having read them all, apart from the latest I would say they are a good read. Chris lives local to The Broads and all the stories are based upon a fictional variation of The Broads. In fact if you know Broadland well enough you may even think you recognise some of the people in the stories. I should point out that all the characters are fictional, but for me at least I almost feel like I have met one of two of the characters in Broadland. The books are a whodunit that keep you guessing till the end. The locations whilst based upon The Broads you will feel you recognise, yet they are a mixture of many different locations rolled into one. I guess Chris intermixes several real locations to create his fictional locations, partly to spare the blushes of any real characters he has taken inspiration from. Because of this, his books work on more than one level.   

I love murder mysteries, and don't really care whether they date from the early days (Wilkie Collins etc), through the 'Golden Age', right up to the present day.  I've only read the first Chris Crowrther (Waterproof)  so can't comment on the series as a whole, but I'd certainly prefer to read C.P. Snow's 'Death under Sail' and Gladys Mitchell's ' The Worsted Viper', if I wanted a good murder mystery set on the Broads.

I love murder mysteries, and don't really care whether they date from the early days (Wilkie Collins etc), through the 'Golden Age', right up to the present day.  I've only read the first Chris Crowrther (Waterproof)  so can't comment on the series as a whole, but I'd certainly prefer to read C.P. Snow's 'Death under Sail' and Gladys Mitchell's ' The Worsted Viper', if I wanted a good murder mystery set on the Broads.

Thanks kadensa, helpful comment. I know CP Snow but not Gladys Mitchell, so something else to add to the list.

Hi Kadensa,

"Spider, the Gladys Mitchell one is a 'Mrs Bradley' mystery. I don't know if you saw the televised versions of some of her books starring Diana Rigg?"

The series is currently on a re-run on one of the freeview channels, I quite like the program and have always been a fan of Diana Rigg ever since her Avengers days. Neil Dudgeon as her chauffeur George Moody (the new Barnaby of Midsomer Murders) plays well off of Adela Bradley's character.

Regards

Alan

I quite like the program and have always been a fan of Diana Rigg ever since her Avengers days. Neil Dudgeon as her chauffeur George Moody (the new Barnaby of Midsomer Murders) plays well off of Adela Bradley's character.

I think a lot of men are fans of Diana Rigg (especially in her yoounger, 'Avenger' days). I can't think why!

Yes,I, too, like the interaction between the two characters in the Mrs Bradley series.  I like my murders interspersed with a little humour.  Have you seen 'Rizzoli and Isles', Alan?  In my opinion, it's easily the best American detective series I've seen, and I would imagine that, for the male viewer, it has other attractions

• Like 1

I think a lot of men are fans of Diana Rigg (especially in her yoounger, 'Avenger' days). I can't think why!

Yes,I, too, like the interaction between the two characters in the Mrs Bradley series.  I like my murders interspersed with a little humour.  Have you seen 'Rizzoli and Isles', Alan?  In my opinion, it's easily the best American detective series I've seen, and I would imagine that, for the male viewer, it has other attractions

Hi Kadensa,

No I have not seen that one, what freeview channel is it on?

Sorry we are off of topic.

Regards

Alan