Where is the Gateway to the Broads

Wussername

the gate way to the broads is as you leave the lock at the canal and head on the proper river ant .......

past the ruff ole yard on the left...!!!!! and enter the clean waters of the the rest orf the ole net works ........

the gate way is where yuo start from like leaving yer house ...................but in this case leave the gate open "mooring" so yer can gooback and let others in for a peak ..................................

enjoy........................................jon

Further to two comments above.

I remember a lovely bit of graffiti that amended one of those signs on the way into Norwich so that it read "Norwich, a damn fine city."

I'm also reminded of the WWII American airman who commented to a local "This Norfolk is the a**ehole of the world", to which the local replied "Ar, just passing through wuz you bor?"

• Like 2

Depends what sort of gateway you mean.  Last week we were moored at Whitlingham and close to the mooring is a monument to the confluence of the Rivers Wensum, Tas and Yare (I must confess I hadn't heard of the Tas) the monument claims it to be sacred ground and has been for ever and a day because of that confluence of rivers.

Phew! That was close, I nearly sent this out with monument spelt thus, momument, I might have got some stick for that. :shocked:)

For some the gateway is the memories which are treasured, and there is nothing wrong in that. Perhaps where you were first introduced to The Broads. Where you keep your boat. For many a special place.

I am privileged to live here. I chose a quality of life above other riches. I am a poor man. Financially a man of straw, a step away from Carey Street.

I know, some of you are starting to "fill up" a little quiver of the bottom lip!!

But I digress.

One or two mentioned the ports of Greay Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

For me the true gateways. Great Yarmouth, the entrance to the North and South rivers, and Lowestoft to the South.

Some on different stages will say that the North Sea surrounding the Broads is irrelevant. For me the sea has and always will have a a great influence on the inland rivers and broads.

Did not Nelson learn to sail onthe rivers.

(did you know that old Horatio has a department at the University Hospital named after him, the eye department.......he only had one. A comfort or what to those who patronise the place)

The Norfolk Wherry has been known to creep out of Yarmouth on a calm day or night to make the journey to Lowestoft. Indeed the wherry would act as portage fro craft at anchor at Great Yarmouth.

Some will say that in times of duress, the war years, it was not uncommon for a Lowestoft trawler to meet a Frenchman off Pakefield. Brandy, Cigars and othe luxurys would make there way through Lake Lothing onto Oulton Broad, to be rowed past Postwick to Thorpe St Andrew. But that is another story.

The German bombers, on a moonlite night, would cross the North Sea, and follow the sliver river into the heart of Norwich.

These two gateways have and always will be an integral part of The Norfolk Broads.

The North Sea, it's attraction for some who cruise the inland water ways, and our all important awareness as to how vunerable we are to it's moods.

• Like 4