Inland boating with attitude

TeamElla

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonny,

Most of their boats are more modern but theres nothing wrong with an older boat as long as it's in good nick (and the fridge space knocks spots off a Beneteau Antares 9) :naughty:

One thing that I didn't like was the hydraulic steering - very strange.

Umpteen turns to the left will take you off to port and a slight flick to the right completely removes the port helm and if it's any more than a short flick you'll be going off to starboard.

I much prefer my cable steering that I can position precisely before going under a bridge (and the wheel returns to the same position each time for rudder amidships).

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks fantastic,,, and because of the positive report from Ellaboat, I took a closer look...

Beautiful, I grant you, appealing? Yes, even to a Saily! My sticking point is the suggestion that your holiday was at a price Broads companies would find it hard to compete with... I played with some online bookings and discovered that for a week in mid June, on a 4+2 cruiser, I would have to part with over £1800 and get to South West France to enjoy it. (Flights are not included, so far as I can see!) A 6 berth boat from Herbert Woods, booked through Blakes will cost a little over £1000 for the same weeks and there are cruisers available for less from other operators.

I accept this is a different place altogether and it is lovely, but a one week holiday there would cost me a good deal more than the same on the Broads. That's not to say it isn't good value for what you get, but I am not sure how to understand Steve's assertion.

Hi Danny

I have to agree, comparing brochure/current prices anyway. I'm not sure if Steve meant it due to possibly getting a last minute "deal" with a much larger discount.

I've just paid about £1100 including flights for 3 of us on a 2/4 berth, including £115 of discounts. I think the same week on the Broads would have been £600-700 on a similar standard of boat.

With cheap air-fares it could have been much less, but the cheapest flights seem much more than they once were (I reckon it's added about £175 on for the cost of 3 of us compared to what we've paid in the past).. but even then it'd be more than the Broads.

Dan

..on a slightly more serious note anyone who is considering boating abroad (hmm am I about to get modded?!!) also into the cost you have to add your transport from the airport of course.

Sometimes we have done this by taxi, but this is a fair way from Bergarac to Douelle so I think this time we will either get a train or hire a car, which seems to be from about £150 a week at the minute, though if the pound recovers this cost may cheapen (here's hoping!)

Good value, but I guess now looking about double a week on the Broads assuming you have your own car in the UK!

Dan

Hi both,

We paid £700 for a 6 berth boat in early October.

They had special offers that week but our boat was NOT one of those discounted!

However, being an older boat it was one of the cheapest on their books (but still not the cheapest).

High season is a different matter but I'm now off to check what they are asking this year...

cheers,

Steve

p.s. same boat same week is £696 this year

Same boat on 1st May is £935.

Admittedly, I hadn't checked mid season prices which is where they all hit the roof just as on the Broads - Same boat on 31st July is £1395.

In comparison to the Broads, it appears to work out more mid season but less out of season.

I have loads more pics, videos and copies of relevant pages (plus river chart) from the onboard manual if you want any of them.

I use the term "chart" very loosely and it's all that stands between a safe passage and potential contact with a rocky bottom.

Enjoy your hols Dan.

I'm sure you will.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, the boat hire alone is not totally dis-similar to the Broads the week we are going either, it's the air fares and car hire/taxi/train that make the holiday so much more - something that in the current climate & weak pound seems a bit pricier than in the last few years when we've gone before, but there probably are airline bargains to be had if you can fall lucky on dates/deals. I have a feeling that in the higher & full season the price gap widens as you say & the boats are more than a Broads equivalent, but cant be too sure of by how much as I took one look and ruled it out!

Thanks for your kind offer... if you won't need the charts again then that would be super, thanks very much

All the best

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Dan will by now have discovered why the word "chart" is a very loose term for the the river plans in the onboard manual.

Red blobs (when they are not depicting channel markers) are to be given a wide berth for an incident free passage. Since you will encounter your first "red blob" some 5 minutes motoring time after leaving Douelle base, the advice from the yard that you should have a 2nd person doing the navigating from the word go is well worth heeding.

The scenery upstream from Douelle becomes increasingly rugged (and beautiful), whilst downstream (which has it's own charm) is much flatter and eventually bordered by vineyards.

I really should get round to writing up our story of our trip through this beautiful valley, together with red blob syndrome and a new appreciation for the term "natural mooring."

Knowing me, that will be sometime never.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for all the pictures, it looks truly superb!

I've wanted to try the Lot for some time, my Dad picked the Castlemoron base when I raised the French suggestion, but of course as he was on an old brochure that was hard to make happen in 2009! Luckilly he liked the idea of Douelle just as much, so that did it. Your pictures have made me certain that the odd brochure picture that looks beautiful are typical of the area, not just to be found in one or two spots - which to be honest is something we've found before.

Thanks for all the charts, once my Dad's back on his feet I shall be forwarding them on for him to swot up on his navigating! ;)

Dan