Sailing on Breydon

kadensa

One of the joys of sailing Breydon in a stiff breeze is the look on the face of (mainly hireboat) mobo crews as you overtake them! Especially bathtubs because they hardly ever see you coming and the first thing they tend to notice is a bowsprit entering their field of vision.

No JM not the yellow post but one at the other end.

We had had a nice sail back from Cantley and the plan was to drop the sails before the rail bridge. As we were having such a nice time we carried on, big mistake. As we went round the corner on the way to Breydon the wind slowly picked up.

We are now on a run and the wind is building all the time to the extent we should have a reef in, two motor boats are now right up my chuff and preventing me from coming up head to wind so we carried on until the second cruiser decided to overtake both of us pushing us to port. We are now on the point of gybing which would have taken out the windows of the cruiser so I had to luff hard to starboard. As the boom swung back out the topping lift looped the post bringing us to a very abrupt halt.

With the boat now at over 45' and the deck under the water and the sail still full the only way was to cut the topping lift. Hele went down below and came back with a dinner knife, no dear a large kitchen knife please. Once released the sail gybed causing us to heal 45' the other way while pushing us forward into the mud.

PL only has a small 5hp outboard and there was no way this was going to pull us off, so with Hele on the helm the outboard going flat out in reverse I tried to push us off with the quant pole as the tide was still going out I was eager to get us off the mud. After around 10 mins we stared to move.

With no damage done we were very lucky as the only one wearing a life jacket was the dog. Big lesson learnt , stick to your plan and always respect the weather as you can quickly get caught out as we did.

Doug.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of the joys of sailing Breydon in a stiff breeze is the look on the face of (mainly hireboat) mobo crews as you overtake them! Especially bathtubs because they hardly ever see you coming and the first thing they tend to notice is a bowsprit entering their field of vision.

As the owner of a Bath Tub as you call it ,  I did not appreciate that statement.

Here goes with some snaps of the Yare Race.

post-479-0-11497800-1411563095_thumb.jpg

post-479-0-23527300-1411563257_thumb.jpg

post-479-0-54409200-1411563290_thumb.jpg

• Like 1