Silver Emblem

Dan

Yay... another holiday booked, this time four days in early summer next year on Silver Emblem from Ferry Marina.

Quite a new design, and hard to gauge beauty from the artists impression but the layout looked interesting and I fancied spoiling us a little so have dug a bit depper for once!

Has anyone seen one of these boats yet... there's an internal picture in Hoseasons, but I'm wondering if only the bit in the picture was finished and all the bit out of shot was still under construction?! Looks nice in the brochure, hasn't been built yet? Or has someone spotted one/any views on them?

Here's the link to see more on them http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/UKBoat.aspx? ... h=FindBoat

Dan

We will expect your usual in depth report Dan :clap

Nice to see investment going into the Broads still from some quarters, there are not many doing that these days.

Always be those (we know who they are) who knock progress and don't believe 'unsuitable' craft should be on the Broads :roll: , low wash, modern, economical and roomy what more could you ask for on a Broads Holiday.

Yes there will be the usual area's you can't reach there are an awful lot of hire craft that won't either and I guess if those areas are important you would look at an alternative style.

I also like the fact it is a very roomy 2 berth, fits a nice gap in the market.

Oh and it is fitted with one of those satanical devices......... a Bow Thruster :-D

Hi Boys

John - Yeah, plus there's no view through the windows - just white.... not impossible they did that on purpose anyway but as its unusual did make me wonder if the boat was sat in a shed somewhere still being worked on hence maybe putting some white paper or something over the window! I had a bit of a wander at Ferry a week or so ago, there was Quartz Emblem & Coral Emblem looking very smart but couldn't see one of these.

David - who's told you of my boat handling & parking capabilities or lack of them then?! The external helm does look good, fingers crossed for dry weather!

All the best

Dan

Hello Perry

Yes, I guess we all like different, it's good there are still some new designs that go under most of the bridges... we certainly like to some times.

Ferry's expanded fleet and new workshop I guess isn't welcomed by everyone, although I guess that's true of everything. Development or change is often not welcomed by all, especially when it surrounds places you love as they are, but then again for things to survive things have to change, and seeing the hire industry survive to a good level is important to me!

I love Horning, don't actually mind their new boat shed too much and am glad I can start and end my holiday at one of my favourite Broadland spots, and also have a better chance of being able to moor there!

It's a shame we cant get under Wroxham with her, but to be honest with just four days that's the only place we'll have to miss out on that we might have cruised if we'd booked some old floating caravan as is more the norm!

I'm growing to like the bow thrusters... actually quite handy for getting in and setting off with just the two of us I suppose!

Dan

Hi folks

Silver Emblem 1 was launched last week and number 2 will be finished next week. The pictures were inevitably taken some weeks ago whilst still under construction - Hoseasons deadlines are still quite long. So there wasn't much of a view to be had out of the windows. We should be having some more pictures taken soon but she is certainly on the water now at Ferry Marina if anyone wants to take a look.

The 36ft models (Golden Emblem) are under construction at present and the third model (the sedan, Platinum Emblem) is at the final stage of plug development. Keep an eye on the Waveney RIver Centre & Ferry websites over the coming weeks because I intend updating them with some more pictures.

cheers

James

Hi James

Hey, thanks for that, great to hear of them coming on well.... will certainly keep an eye on the website.

I quite liked the layout and the idea that the galley was close/open plan to the saloon so it was not so far for me to shout requests through to the galley whilst having my feet up! ice slice;)

Dan

very nice Dan so your going to be one of the first in 09 to try out one of the new funnel craft well nearly the first sweet :-D

mind you looking at the layout will be nice to see what its like to have the galley in the bow viewing the river. also her bigger sister now thats going to be nice to see on the river.

but the sedan would be my choice looks realy nice.

hay maybe if somebody is spare over the awards weekend maybe they could take some pics of the new fleet while there free.

but your looking forward to the Serenade :-D :-D :-D yes i do read your site :-D :-D

• 4 weeks later...

yer i agree

a weird layout but from the pics it does work realy well and i think there will be people lining up to purchase one of these boat for hire or private use and they look well built and have lots of space but that all from the pics of course

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure that if you deign to lower yourseves and look on the "other" site you will see the interior pics you so wish to see.

Are you really saying then that you stick to just one site? Doesn't everyone just switch around from site to site - clearly not!!!!!

Well I better wish those who don,t a Merry Christmas too xmas6xmas6

Hi Jonzo

When I saw the picture I was a little disappointed as I thought it looked a bit like a floating caravan with a bit stuck on the roof. However, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it in the flesh... but I think it might be fair to say it's biggest strengths are going to be it's comfort, layout/internal use of space.

I'm still looking forward to my holiday on her xmas4

Dan

it does look rather spaceshes for a new build and detail looks good also the galley in the bow has it eva been done before if not its rather a crackin shot at attempting it for the first time

Jonny ice slice

I thought things couldn't get any worse than the Carribean style boats but the new Funnel 31 seems to be a close contender. Just seen the artists impressions on another website it looks "outwardly" a real ugly duckling. There was one boat that beats them both though and thankfully seem to have disappeared. It was a barge that allowed road caravans to be loaded for broads cruising. Now that was truly the pits!!

Everyone is entitled to their view and some peoples idea of heaven is a wooden boat with limited space , leaks and rot!!!!!

However my guess is that is not what the hirer wants and whilst some of you think it is ghastly, I guarantee that it will be pretty fully booked and that is the proof of the pudding, as they say!!! Why is it that everyone wants to live in the past? There is plenty of evidence that the fly bridge cruisers are the most popular with the punters - only today it looks as though Faircraft Loynes are getting the Christmas boats ready and guess which boats look like going out?

Having had a good look at these boats both in and out, I know people will like them from the inside - there is stacks of room and the front galley will be copied i guarantee. Of course some will moan about it and yes the new design is a little stubby - I think the longer one will be better but you have to economise on your mould costs and it is not a new trick to use the same base and then add bits.

They are not pretty but you could hardly call it downright ugly - I think there are many worse around and like most new designs, after a few years they will seem very normal!!!!!

Well they say you can’t get a quart into a pint pot, but it looks like somebody’s had a bloody good go at it with this boat and as a means of transporting a family around the broads in comfort I can’t see a trick has been missed. Not the most attractive boat in my eyes, but then it’s not trawler blue so starts at a disadvantage anyway. If hirers are to be persuaded to first try, and then be encouraged to return then comfortable modern clean boats is what the vast majority want and it’s great to see somebody investing. The take it or leave it days are gone and we should now see an upsurgance of people looking to holiday in UK so lets at least give them some decent accommodation. Of course there will always be the band of mildew and damp lovers but there’s plenty of cheap yachts and Judiths around to satisfy their needs. Now what I would really like to see is a new build modern clean design wooden cruiser with the comforts now available but I guess I can dream on as the build cost would be prohibitive.

It's interesting to hear everyones different opinions and thoughts on boat styles. Indeed it seems as with most stuff we all like different, but I guess in that there must still be higher percentages of success on some designs.

Personally I'm not convinced dual steers are the most popular or highest demand boats on the broads. I think they will certainly book well for the first 5 years or so, mainly because they are new though and the comfort, onboard facilities and 'newness' is enough for a lot of people to choose them.

As the dual steers get older I'm not convinced they stay the best booked boats on the waters as once some of the above loses its appeal the designs disadvantages (mainly height) can lose bookings.

I quite like the dual steers. They are not totally ideal to the Broads though as they restrict you from some of the best bits of the Broads (getting to Coltishall or Geldeston for example). I love hiring them abroad, but if I'm out for a week on the Broads I tend to go for something with lower height, but for a weekend they tend to get me everywhere I want to go in the time I've got, and if you are lucky with the weather then you're well placed to make on and get a good river view too....

Best sign off... all this making me want to get out boating! Only 3 months to wait! :cry

Dan

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your struggle through the long 'off' season, If tou really cant wait 3 months and you dont mind a dual steer I could lend you Prisma (FOC) for the weekend but you would have to bring your own bedding! she has been kept operational for me to get to the Malsters for my Sunday carvery but things have changed.

Wowsers... that's an amazingly generous offer Clive! xmas6cheersxmas6

It would be rude to turn it down! I could do with calling over to see you, so it might kill two birds with one stone. I'll drop you an email once I've picked myself up off the floor!

All the best

Dan