Mud weighting down south

2poofsandMum

We have done once on oulton broad although it was a bit rough and I'm sure it needed quite a bit of line.. surlingham  (opposite brundall) is lovely though and well worth doing.. theres no additional advice needed really although surlingham is a bit small so try not to get too close to other boats.  Enjoy cheers

There aren't quite so many spots for mudweighting down south. As HA says, Surlingham is lovely. Oulton Broad is also an option, but it is the only place we've dragged so I'd be careful if strong winds are forecast. Hopefully one of the locals will weigh in with some advice.

There are also plenty of wild mooring spots, just be careful to allow for the greater tidal rise and fall when choosing one.

It's actually named Bargate on your pic - I knew there was another name, just couldn't remember it! There are two entrances, both narrow but there are small signposts on the main river

Although you can get into quite a bit of surlingham broad most refer to the bit between the dykes as surlingham broad (I think it's actually bargate), one entrance just beside coldham hall and other entrance just downstream of church fen moorings on opposite side, very pretty little spot.

I've been a fair way into surlingham broad and was suprised how much water there was under but very narrow and quite weedy, turning round was tight.

Theres also rockland broad for mudweighting but very shallow in places.

I've often wondered about mudweighting on Rockland Broad but haven't because I've been worried about water depth outside the channels. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge to share on this one?

Hi Spider, as you enter Rockland Broad from either dykes into the broad proper, I have dropped the mudweight when on a bath tub (Bermuda) just at the marker posts not any further in, and was ok on both occasions. I did however do it at high water on both visits.

cheers Iain.

Got to say that Bargate aka Surlingham is my favourite spot for mudweighting. Other spots include the mouths of dykes leading to pumps on the marshes, numerous ones to choose from but it does pay to mudweight at both sharp and blunt ends of your boat. Oulton Broad's North Bay/Borrows Ham is another popular spot for visitors.

• Like 2

Got to say that Bargate aka Surlingham is my favourite spot for mudweighting. Other spots include the mouths of dykes leading to pumps on the marshes, numerous ones to choose from but it does pay to mudweight at both sharp and blunt ends of your boat. Oulton Broad's North Bay/Borrows Ham is another popular spot for visitors.

hi where it that im not too sure "Oulton Broad's North Bay/Borrows Ham" i know the yacht station etc

hi where it that im not too sure "Oulton Broad's North Bay/Borrows Ham" i know the yacht station etc

As you enter onto Oulton Broad it is the bay immediately on your left, you'll probably see a group of three bling boats moored against the bank.

Further into the bay you'll see so many masts it look like a 1920's backstreet with all the linen posts.

As you enter onto Oulton Broad it is the bay immediately on your left, you'll probably see a group of three bling boats moored against the bank.

Further into the bay you'll see so many masts it look like a 1920's backstreet with all the linen posts.

thanks i will keep an eye out and let you know if we find it and mud wieght there for a night, but thanks for the advice